iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Washer

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2004, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Thinking about getting one.  Who makes the best small engine Honda or Briggs & Stratton?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

I like the Honda's better than the BS ones Jeff.

Tom

There is a brand new, in-the-box,  Honda pressure washer for sale around here somewhere, probably cheap.  It used to be mine. >:(

Jeff

I see Lowe's has a 6 horse Honda on a troy built. 2500 PSI  for $299. Anybody have any specific recommendations on a good one? $299 is more then I want to spend but it looks like what I'll HAVE to spend to get something worthwhile.

D._Frederick

Jeff,

I would go for the Honda over the Briggs, althought there is not much different in design and they are both built in Japan. The only thing going for Brigg is that parts are cheaper than Honda. The igniton module for the Honda is over $100 while the Briggs has a life time warranty.

Make sure you get a 3 cylinder pump for your washer, it reduces the surging.

florida

Jeff,
You can't get a decent pressure washer for less than about $900.00. Pressure isn't everything. A good PW also needs to be able to pump at least 4 gallons of water a mnute or you'll wear yourself out. You need at least 10 HP unless you have lots of time. A good PW should last 10 to 15 years.  MY current PW has a Honda engine, probably has 5000 hours and is still going strong after 10 years of heavy use.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Jeff

I'm not washing heavy equipment, this is for household tasks like cleaning the driveway and the deck on occasion or cleaning the eaves troughs.  I dont plan on spending 50 hours of the rest of my life using a pressure washer let alone 5000! :D

Danny_S

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

I bought a cheepie at Wallyworld 2 years ago. Its a Karcher, 2.1 HP, 7800 Kpa max pressure. I only wash the vehicles with it. I think it was $175 CDN. If your going to go with a gasoline model, Honda, Tecumsa, or Briggs, wouldn't matter to me. We used the same old Briggs Motors here on equipment for over 20 years. My snow blower is Tecumsa with electric start and my tiller and woodsplitter are Briggs. No matter what you buy, you just have to look after it. Not lending stuff helps too, cause when ever we lent stuff in the past it always came back broke. So I don't lend anything with a motor anymore. :) If the neighbors need a wood splitter, here's a $10 axe you can use. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

I've had a Karchner 1,650 psi with a 4 hp Briggs on it for about 6 years now.  No problems and more than adequate for household duties.  Got to watch it on the cedar deck as it will eat the wood away pretty fast.  I sometimes use it at the sawmill to wash muddy logs.  Not near enough pressure to be efficient at that job.

Price sounds quite good to me.  Seems like I paid about the same amount for the one I have with a lot less power.

You ever think about getting an electric one?  I had one and liked it a lot more than the gas model for around the house.  Pump quit on it and couldn't get parts.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

My washer is electric also Larry. I like it. And its light. You get one of those gasoline ones and remember you have to lug it out to the deck.I also keep my washer in the basement in winter so stuff doesn't freeze and bust inside.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I had a refurbished McCulloch, electric, 1200 lb. pressure washer that did a good job until the wand broke and the water attachment inside the box broke.  I was afraid of shock and threw it away.

I thought it was a real deal at Big Lots for $99.00

I used it to clean the vehicles, the house, about 2000 feet of pine that mildewed and various other things.  The power was sufficient for cleaning.  It did a good job on the mill if I could get it close enough to the house.  It's power line was about 20 feet long and I could get away with a 20 foot extension but wouldn't want to go further than that. The wand hose was about 20 feet long too, so reach wasn't much of a problem.  I didn't like being limited so close to the house or barn though.  That's why we bought the gas washer, so we could take it to the mill.

I'd buy another one of those electric washers if they get them in again.

Haytrader

Jeff,

I have always thought Honda was hard to beat so I just bought a 6 1/2 HP Briggs for my farm sprayer.....go figure. I got it from BrandNewEngines.com for right at $200. They also have power washers.

One of my brothers paints houses (among other things) and uses power washers to strip the old paint off. He buys his at Wally World cause if anything goes wrong, he gets a new one free. They have even replaced tips, nozzles, and hose, all free of charge.

But if you can get one with a Honda on it for under $300, you may have found "the deal".
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

We have an electric PW and I take it up on the roof, to clean the mildew from the shingles. Used it for years on Teak Boat decks. Ya gotta be careful around wood, like Larry said.

It's slow on concrete. Use a Tennis ball to jam the trigger and prevent "the Claw". ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Jeff  

I got a 5 hp honda ... 2300 psi  There a good machine not much I havent done with this unit , only thing you got to be carefull on wood with it , it will do like that horse with the chickens .... eat it .... For winter storage I run windshield washer fluid throught it  and don't afta worry about the cold doing it any harm....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wiam

I have a 5hp electric with a comet pump 2300psi.  Yes what they said about wood.  Works good to strip paint if using fan spray pattern.  It will take color out of fire hose.  (someone told me that) ::)

William

Jeff

Maybe electric is the way to go. They seem to be less expensive and I cant think of any reason why I would need one away from electricity.

chet

I'll bet you'll think of a reason as soon as you buy that electric one.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ADfields

I got a electric from Walmart a couple months back for $80 and it works just fine for around the house.   If I was to get something bigger I would get a steam cleaner not a just a pressure washer, but the 80 buck one works just fine.
Andy

old3dogg

Jeff.
Rent one if you are not going to use it all that much.
Dont get an electric washer.They are pretty useless.
Mike.

Corley5

I've got a Generac 3gpm, 3,000 psi with a Tecumseh 6hp.  Works good for me.  Pay more attention to the gpm than psi.  5,000psi doesn't do much good if it's only got 1gpm.  I would prefer a Honda engine over the rest but if the price is right ;)  If you're going electric go with a 220v model.  The smaller ones can't compare to gas models.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tome

I have a red cedar log home that I am wanting to refinish.  It has been about seven years since I put a finish on it.  My question is, can I use a pressure washer to clean the surface?

beenthere

Tome
What is it that you want to clean off?  Dirt?  Mold/mildew? Old finish?  For log cabin wood, I would use a bleach solution (or deck cleaner solution w/bleach). Spray it on, brush it some with a stiff brush, and rinse it off with a garden hose after 20-30 minutes. I wouldn't use a pressure washer as it can blow water in between the logs. Just let the water run down like heavy rain to rinse off the dirt and mildew.

Pressure washer if there is loose paint that needs lifting.

Just an opinion. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

If you use a pressure washer be very careful how you direct the spray.  Also you have to allow ample time for the wood to completely dry out before applying any finish.  This may take several days to a week.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

wiam

I would have to disagree about the gas over electric.  My 120 volt 5hp will out clean my 6hp gas any day.  But it does need to be on a 20 amp breaker.

William

Thank You Sponsors!