iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To make you smile.

Started by Happycamper, November 13, 2013, 04:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happycamper

Since getting the mill late winter early spring this year I have cut up quite a few logs and have several lifts of lumber. Very recently I got a nice load of fresh cut Cedar and Fir. This was my first sawing of green logs and I could not believe the difference in logs. All the previous logs were quite dry and I have planed many boards right off the mill. The new logs cut like using a warm knife through butter in comparison. I was able to saw faster with no laboring on the engine plus the lumber is flat as it should be of course much heavier. A laugh for you and a pleasant surprise for  me.
                                           Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Chuck White

Definately a big difference Jim!  8)

I didn't realize that you had been sawing nothing but dry stuff!  :-\

The feed rate of the sawhead is really noticable from one to the other!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

thanks for the humor, but not laughing just happy for you,  with both dry and green stock there are a few variables that make you like each for what they are,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

Yup.  Logs are like veggies or spices.  Nothing is better than fresh!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

John Vander

Here in Japan the cedar and hinoki logs hit the mills real fast after coming down from the mountains.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

rimshot

Jim<

You and I started sawing about the same time on our LT-10 'S  I dont know about your
Western Cedar out there BUT if it is a close cousin to our Eastern White species get ready for some bark on this green and wet stuff to pack up and block your sawdust ejection port and do so frequently.  On the other hand, cutting my local Cedar (if it is dry)the blade and wheel are clean from being blasted by that cedar sawdust.  You will know for sure shortly and YMMV Hopefully.

On a side note I have obtained A 450 lb cranking boat type winch and cable+ pullley.  I'm thinking of trying a crank set up like your your setup to assist in raising the sawhead.. 

Good luck with all those nice logs.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Brucer

Yep, Western Red Cedar will plug your sawdust outlet pretty quickly. If I'm sawing a lot of it, I make it a practice to clean the outlet after log.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Happycamper

When I look back, sawing all dry fir logs  has been a good education. They have taught me engine speed, head speed, tension of band, sharpness and setting of blade, how to handle severe pitch, guide wheel tolerance, belt condition etc.
The green stuff in comparison is so much easier to deal with other than the big weight difference.
                                       Jim

barbender

Dry Doug Fir seems to have a reputation for being a bit difficult, not that I have ever sawn any. It's.a bit rare in my area :)
Too many irons in the fire

Happycamper

barbender,
  Working with only dry fir has taught me well about the blade set and sharpness. I sharpen my blades by hand and use a copy of pineywoods setter to set. It all has to be right or the blade won't preform well at all in the dry fir, necessity being the mother of invention is a great professor.
                                        Jim

barbender

Jim, we have a few difficult woods up here that will challenge your machine set up and blade sharpness and set. White Spruce with knots, large diameter Red Pine with knots, and Green Ash are the ones that have given me trouble. The Green Ash is a very low moisture hardwood, it takes a very sharp blade to cut it straight, and goggles and a dust mask don't hurt either ::)
                       Burt
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!