iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two more signs 36" x 5" in size - Pics

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, March 09, 2014, 01:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

New customer and one I am hoping to impress because he has a retail store and wants to carry many of our products.

These two signs are 36" long and 5" tall. Seams like here lately am getting requests to do bigger and bigger signs, which is fine with me. I can actually go 40" wide and 24" tall so I still have room to spare and grow in size. These will go over door ways.

Once again, the cedar came from Richard at CedarUSA and i have been very happy with the 2000 board feet i bought off of him. It is pretty much the only wood I will use in making our signs, unless the customer really insists on something else.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

goose63

Busy Beaver I sure would like to get a sets of those signs for my father in law he is a very religious man
what do you charge for them?
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jamesamd

The finish is top notch!!!
I am green..... :(
Best of luck with this But I don't think You will need,the luck. ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: goose63 on March 09, 2014, 05:24:02 PM
Busy Beaver I sure would like to get a sets of those signs for my father in law he is a very religious man
what do you charge for them?
Sent you a PM. If you do buy them, the forum gets a 5% donation from me on the sale.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jamesamd

One New Yorker to another, I will share my secret with you on the finish. I am from Queens.

I have tried about a dozen finishes on the eastern red cedar and by far the one i like the best is what I used on these two signs. After sanding to a final finish with 360 grit, i use:

Rust-Oleum 12-oz Crystal Clear Enamel Gloss

It sprays like a dream, self levels and is very resistant to running. Dries with a half hour or so to the touch so I can add additional coats. I normally put 3 or 4 coats on until I get the glass like finish.

It pretty cheap to as compared to other clear glossy finishes. A 12 oz can can be purchased at lowes for less than $4, unless i get there before you and buy them out. I have been know to buy 20 cans at a time because we use about 5 cans a week.

The only negative I will tell you is that it is not something you want to consider spraying in an enclosed area as it is both a fire hazard and will give you one heck of a headache. Contains toluene, acetone, and xylene, non of which are good to breath. In a pinch I will sometimes paint something indoors and I always find myself needing to leave the area until the fumes dissipate because it gives me almost and instant headache and sore throat. I think I am more sensitive to it than others, because Mrs. Beaver, who is normally very sensitive to fumes like from gasoline, is not phased in the least by the fumes or odor. Go figure

Hope this info helps you
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!