iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backhoe

Started by LeeB, September 19, 2004, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I have the oppertunity to buy a JD 510 backhoe from the local rental outlet. Just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers as to what to look for. The machine appears to be well maintaned and was running  well when I rented it a few months back. It has 3700 hours on it.Is this a lot of hours? They are asking $19500 for it. Good price or bad? LeeB ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

engine and pumps should be strong.

Visual checks.

visual oil leaks.  (Sitting and under pressure)
Hydraulic lines not skinned bad or dry rotted.
swing pins tight. (improper lubrication and they will wear which will mean pin and bushing replacement. expensive)
Tires not torn.
Brakes will work independently.  While you generally don't steer with brakes on a backhoe, it comes in handy.

Steering tight.(Pins on the front in will wear from a lot of front end loader work.)

The hoe should be able to pick the tractor up. The farther you extend the boom and accomplish this, the stronger the pump.

Worn valving.  You will not want a lot of wear on the handles of the hoe and loader.  Being tight means control.

Make sure instruments work.

It's nice if all the lights work.

check for breaks in the loader bucket and hoe bucket.  They must be undamaged or properly repaired.

Get a shop manual

LeeB

thanks Tom. all good points and well taken. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

J_T

A round here that kind of cash will get a lot of backhoe seen track hoes with air cab go for less. It had them rubber tracks on it cat stamped on the side and that thing could relley load logs .He had a thumb on it .
Jim Holloway

ScottAR

What model 510 is it?  $19k would be ok if it was a late 80's early 90's model...   A 510 is a big boy... 90 odd hp,  just a shade under the massive 710...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

MULE_MAN

I bought a 1989 Case Super E with cab air  etc. several month ago & I payed $12000 for it . And it's in real good shape I did have a Hydraulic cylinder start leaking after running it for a couple weeks.
But I had New Seal put in it and it was only about $86.00
My Case does have twice the hours as the John Deere your looking at But I have really use it moving dirt and logs & it does a great job My neighbor up the road has a 510 JD and it is 4 wheel drive he gave $1700 for it . I looked for several month before I found the one I have as did my neighbor  It kind of like after you buy one your'll always find one cheaper   :o
I think Tom has done a real good job on telling you what to look for  
in one  The one your looking at has low hours in my book and probably is  in good shape
The price really depends on how many backhoe's are in your area, We have several & several dealers around here
Probably wasn't much help to you . But if you  buy that one are not I think I would folllow Tom's advice on what to check for 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

LeeB

Mule Man, It's a 99 model. I thought I would offer him $15k for and see if they bite. Probably not. they started out wanting 28. LeeB

ScottAR

Never know till ya ask...   ;D    Actually, $15k is a good place to start.   They can come back with $18k and you can come back with $16k and.... :D :D :D

I love the haggle...  Can ya tell?? :)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Kelvin

The other idea would be, is a rental yard a good place to buy a machine?  People with no experience were probably running the machine.  When they see a warning light come on do they care more about finishing their job then ruining the engine?  Just a thought.  Can't ever assume any machine is better off privately owned.  I rolled my truck while towing a rental backhoe behind it.  They fixed it and kept using it.  Wonder if the person who they sold it to knew what happened?  3,600 hrs is a lot of time for a lot of things to happen.  I'd be worried about rental yards here.  Maybe a comercial lease rental yard would be better?

rvrdivr

I have to agree at what Kevin said. When your something used, you don't know what your getting your self into, though...I was lucky when I bought my tractor used. My Porsche on the other hand.... :D

Get your self a Tractor-Trader magazine and compare prices.  I would feel better buying from an individual than a rental place or lot. Don't be in a hurry, there's deals out there to find.

Good luck,

RacinRex

Also associate with some of the local dirt contractors. If they know you are using it for logging and not for competition with them they may be pretty helpful in helping you find a hoe or atleast helping you make contacts with other people that may know where there is a good one. I find that most of my good equipment and cars/trucks have been purchased through "social networking" sort of like we do here.  8)
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

MULE_MAN

Well if they started at 28 , which in my opinion is too high and now are at 19,500
They would probably jump on 19. What Kelvin say about rent it place's , has
allot of merit , You really don't know what your buying & who has ran it.
The places around here won't rent one to you unless your a contractor or a experience
operator. I checked and called place's in about 100 mile radius of home. And people and price's
are crazy. One guy had a 79 model Case & was asking 10 for & say the motor was recently been
rebuilt  Well you don't Know if it was a patch job rebuilt job or not . My neighbor 510 he got was one of those sealed bid deal
from the Road Dept.  And the cab has allot of rust from loading salt & the rear tire's are junk .
I always like to buy something cheap enough that if it does have problem you could still put a couple thousand in it
and still not got hurt.  Any time you buy something  used your taking a chance
My first Backhoe I got about 5 years ago ,I knew needed some things fix on , & I though I was buying it cheap
wasn't so. Parts were allot higher then I figure. But I still used it for 5 years and sold it for what I paid for it
The Backhoe I'm runing right now was bought to handle the heavy logs, since I'm not real big on using
my regular farm tractor on the real heavy one's
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

LeeB

Well now, I went and made an offer today of $15000 for it. Eyebrows went up but no bite, just a nibble, Seems I didn't do my homework real well. It is a 310E and not a 510 as I thought. Me thinks I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the help. LeeB

MrMoo

I think folks here covered things to look for. What I would add is look for welds. If they didn't happen at the factory it was probably worked pretty hard and had something break on it.

Is this thing 4wd?

Thank You Sponsors!