iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is it

Started by coxy, June 03, 2016, 06:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I take a few glugs of Gatorade and chase it with water.  Overloading with the pure stuff will/can make you  steve_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

Every so often I will wake to a cramping leg.  Major hurt!
An old carpenter friend who did a lot of roofing work said when he would get leg cramps he would drink some pickle juice, preferably dill pickle juice.  I thought he was kidding until I tried it one night.  After hobbling to the refer I drank some juice from a jar of dill relish.  The cramp went away immediately.  I keep a jar of just the dill pickle juice in the refer now for just such moments.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Onthesauk

A few years ago I ended up in ER in the middle of the night with chest pain that wouldn't ease up.  Blood test indicated I was way low on potassium, caused cramps in my chest.  Now take one, 10mg morning and evening and cleared up.  And seems to be a very short term effect and cure.  I recently took them late afternoon rather then late evening and ended up with leg cramps during the night.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

coxy

thank for all the replays I have been drinking 2 qts of Gatorade a day(against better judgment  :) ) and 2 bananas for lunch and 2gal of water a day and things seem to be going ok so far have to watch drinking to much Gatorade don't want the hives again  was talking to a doc friend and he said I may have had a reaction to the blue #1 that's in Gatorade he said lot of people get the hives from it  ??? :-\

red

My leg cramps disappeared a few weeks ago I have been doing a shot of pickle juice when I leave in the morning .  I have always hydrared properly and eat bananas. Some athletes also drink pickle juice before working out . Thanks for the info guys stay safe in this weather.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

My leg cramps came back a few days ago . I have not done anything yet to prevent the leg cramps. Today I will try pickle juice again.

Ed_K

I eat bananas and dilute the gatorade 1/2 and 1/2 with water.I also have large juice bottles of water on each piece of equipment.
Ed K

Ox

What exactly is in the pickle juice that helps us?  I know the salt is probably helpful, but is the vinegar doing something too?

I remember haying and picking rock on brutal hot summer days in my teens.  We would keep a bottle of salt pills in the milkhouse and would take 3 of them every load we brought in when we were sucking down the water from the tap in there.
It seemed to keep us energized somehow and was weird but mass quantities of salt and water kept us going the whole day working like crazy people.  Never would have believed it if I hadn't lived it.

Between that and small, light "meals" (a quick sandwich and handful of some nibbles) several times through the day we could outwork anybody around.  It was really something...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Vinegar is good for the body.

Not a lot, some recommend 1 TableSpoon each morning.

Probably got antioxidants in it, and who knows what else!

Maybe Google "Vinegar Diet"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Red,

I think I'd rather have the cramps than have to drink pickle juice! :(

When we were vacationing in the jungle or desert we would drink plenty of Gatorade but as mentioned earlier but be sure it is right for you. In some cases I'd get a craving for something like bananas or cantaloupe or extra salt on my food or such and think it was my body telling me what it needed at that time.

I know when I was in USMC working with recruits at Parris Island they (Our medical team) always told us anyone who was a heat casualty was much more subject to being affected again. At one point we'd even put them in a red T-shirt for PT so the supervisors paid extra attention to them. Of course now we would probably be Shanghai-ed (Also probably not politically correct term any more) for singling them out even though I don't think we ever lost a redshirt to the heat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

The best remedy I have for cramps is quinine.  Years ago it was specifically prescribed for cramp relief, but now you can't get the pills.  However, it is readily available in Tonic water, available at any grocery store of liquor store.  It will generally stop the cramp in less time that it takes to swig and put the bottle down after drinking it.   :D Maybe just a little more, maybe 30 seconds to a minute.  It's that fast. 

I always have a 6 pack under the counter for leg cramps that pops up in the middle of the night.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

More talk of pickle juice and leg cramps 

dirtmotor

I also have really bad leg cramps at night mostly , I have tried most everything you guys have mentioned , what seems to do the most good for me is taking a magnesium supplement every day . 

red

I just remembered getting leg cramp at night a few years ago . . the only thing that helped was Pickle Juice ? 

Old Greenhorn

Sorry I missed this. I had this problem bigtime a tear or so ago. @doc henderson recommended Tums for the calcium and taking 3 or 4 before bed. Worked like a bloody charm! I keep a bottle by the bed and whenever I have issues, I take a few and do it for a few nights thereafter. No more severe cramps. If I let it go for a while and one wakes me up, I walk it off and then pop a couple of tums and I get through the night. Works for hand cramps too. Cheap and effective.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I have got into the habit of drinking a big glass of water each night while on the FF.  ;) 
That really seems to do it for me. Yes, I drink a lot of water through the day. And I mean a lot. The gallon cooler jug is on the tractor and when I empty it, I head for the house for more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

prob. the salt in the pickle juice.  we used to take salt tabs at camp in the summer.  if you can swallow them.  if it sticks in the back of the throat, you may have vomiting to add to your list of ailments.  you may or may not want to ask ask me how I know!  my wife the runner uses tums at night for Charlie horse stuff, and it works in less than a minute as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!