iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Pressure to use

Started by Mark M, November 13, 2004, 07:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

DanG'd if I can remember what pressure to use for my oxy-acetylene torch. I seem to remember 5 Psi for the acetylene and 25 for oxygen, is this right? I do remember not to go above 15 for the acetylene.

I don't know enough about gas welding to know when to use oxidizing or carbonizing flames so I just need to know the basic settings so I can heat up some re-bar to make a poker for my wood stove.

Thanks

Mark

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

YUP. That's what we use 5 & 10, more or less.  ::) ;D ;D  Might turn the Oxy up a little to raise the heat.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Well, for once, here is something I haven't forgot. I never knew in the first place.  ;D :D   It's probably a good thing I don't have one of them things.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Ok, while we are on the subject..........
Can ya all give me some tips for useing one of these things???
Need to know how to cut, and weld with one.
It's one thing grandpa never got around to giving me a full lesson on.  ::)

J_T

I don't have the combo torch . Mine is made for cuting only.I have ran 15and 60  only use LP and oxygen have used liquid oxygen when I was in the scrap buisness. My old rig is a victor about 35 years old and still works. 8)
Jim Holloway

etat

My numbers for cutting are close to JT's. :)   Usually between 7 and  10 for the gas and around 40  for the oxygen.  I've got BIG regulators and guages, that may make some difference.  My torch isn't a combination either, it's a long commercial type Victor, the only thing you can change on it is the cutting tips themselves.   Sometimes I use propane, and sometimes acetelene.  I've got tips for both.  If I'm cutting something real thick I'll turn up the pressure a bit. A bit more on the gas to heat er up, and a bit more on the oxygen to blow through.  You gotta learn, mostly by trial and error,  what the flame coming out of the torch is supposed to look like. Makes all the difference, along with steady hands.

I've got a old Smith torch I can change over to if I want to braze and a couple of different sized tips. I don't do welding with it..For brazeing I'd get down closer to the other numbers by turning the pressure down some. Again the flame itself is real important.

I ain't been one bit of help have I? :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Haytrader

I was taught and beleive that you would have different settings depending on what it is you are cutting.
For instance, if you are cutting mostly sheet metal, 5 and 12 to 15 but for heavier stuff like 1/2 in. thick I set her on 10 and 40. This setting works good for heating and bending also. If you are doing much heating then get a rosebud tip.
You need a completely different torch head to run propane than you do for acetylene.
Haytrader

Corley5

15 for the gas and 45 for the O2 works good for me for cutting
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Larry

My cheat sheet.  This one is from Victor.  Welding supply shops have these as a freebe lot of times.

Hope it is readable.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mark M

Thank You Sponsors!