iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Hermine

Started by DanG, September 01, 2016, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Thanks guys for the updates.  Keep them coming.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Raider Bill, I'm mighty glad you're doing okay, and reporting in...however, I do recommend you make that beer run, cause your honey wasn't smiling in the second day video when you panned by her, like she was the first day.  Just looking out for you.   :)
Say when

DanG

My power just came back!  8)  It didn't get rough here at all and we only got about an inch of rain.  Must have been a little twister about 3 miles up the road though, because there were trees and power lines down.  Wind never got more than about 30 mph.  We regularly get more than that in the afternoon thundershowers.  All of my family is accounted for, but many friends haven't reported in yet. Some of them are in the hardest hit areas.  :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on September 02, 2016, 12:27:57 PM
Raider Bill, I'm mighty glad you're doing okay, and reporting in...however, I do recommend you make that beer run, cause your honey wasn't smiling in the second day video when you panned by her, like she was the first day.  Just looking out for you.   :)

She had just got word her waxing appointment was cancelled.  :'(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Say when

PC-Urban-Sawyer

We are here in Panama City, Florida. This one missed us, passing to the south and east of here. Had mild rain and gentle winds last night. Today is beautiful with blue skies, fluffy white clouds and sunshine with light breezes.

Of course my youngest daughter is off work today because here employer panicked and closed shop for the day.

Ya'll be careful out there!

Herb

caveman

We got quite a bit of rain but not any real hard wind.  RaiderBill, if you need reinforcements, let me know.  I was going to go fishing tonight in Tampa Bay and the Gulf but I will wait until tomorrow to head to Anna Maria.  I suspect the water will look like chocolate milk and bait will probably be tough to find but this is likely the last weekend I will have time to go saltwater fishing until May or June-life gets busy this time of the year.

I did take a few pictures of my yard and pasture today when I got home.  It was wetter and deeper this morning at 6 when I left.   

This is an old picture of the mill-the kiln is still unstained in this one- but the water puddles near the mill make getting to the mill shed with dry feet challenging.  Yesterday evening, during some relatively rough weather, I was leading CL customers to our slab piles in the mill on circuitous paths in an attempt to keep their feet dry.  Do folks sit around in weather like this looking at CL and thinking about projects? I recommended that any visitors this week wear rubber boots. 

As far a hurricanes are concerned, this one was more of a coastal water event with the higher than normal tides but thankfully it was not too much of a wind event compared to other memorable Florida storms (Donna, Andrew, Charlie to name a few).
Caveman
Caveman

gspren

I'm at our beach house in Southern Delaware keeping an eye on the weather. We planned to go back to the farm in PA yesterday but I want to be here if the surge gets too high for my boat as normally tied. The weather gurus for here keep saying it "might" be bad, or not.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LeeB

Not sure what to think about a member that gets so old Ma nature has to send a hurricane to blow out the candles.  :D Happy Birthday Dan.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Say when

DanG

Aww gee thanks, folks.  My sixties were blown away by a hurricane and my seventies welcomed me with a case of the toe gout.  Glad to be here with my fellow Forumites!  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gspren

So far it's wet and windy but not too extreme. I did tighten up the mooring whips on the boat because of the higher tides, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Savannahdan

Finally got power restored here at the house (Savannah, GA).  We lost internet Friday around 10:30am and power went about an hour later.  Had a large limb come down on a power line a few houses to the South of us.  The power company folks have been slammed all weekend.  The fellows working on our problem looked beat.  Next in line will be the amount of yard/tree debris that has to be picked up.  I have about to cotton bales worth of moss, leave and limbs at the street.  Helped clean up at the Carmelite Monastery yesterday and we had a pile that was about 6' high by around 25' long.  We could have added much more to it but that got them a clean drive way and parking area.  They were so appreciative of what we did that they fixed us ribs, green beans, corn, Blue Bell ice cream and Zero Coke.  Their job is to pray for us so I figured I needed more than one or two prayers being said for me. 
Hope others elsewhere faired well.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Magicman

Thanks for your update.  Maybe there was not any major damage anywhere. 

Keep on taking care of that boat Gary because we are planning on visiting sometime next year.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on September 04, 2016, 03:53:02 PM
Keep on taking care of that boat Gary because we are planning on visiting sometime next year.   ;D

We look forward to that!
The storm is further offshore than predicted so we should be able to go home tomorrow to get ready for our trip to Charleston, SC the following week where my Navy reunion is.

clww

We had about 3.5" of rain here at The Beach. Lots of wind, but we never lost power like some of the other areas of the city did. Hope this is the only one this year.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DanG

Quote from: Magicman on September 04, 2016, 03:53:02 PM
  Maybe there was not any major damage anywhere. 

I don't know about anywhere else, but the Tallahassee area got clobbered. As of last night, there were still 25,000 homes without power in the city and several thousand more outside of the city. Many streets are still blocked by fallen trees and power lines. 150 more linemen from S. Fla. arrived yesterday to help with the recovery adding to the several hundred that had arrived already.  Almost all of the damage is from blown over trees, but when your house has been cut in half by a 150' pine, it feels pretty major.  ;)

Magicman

Yup, the news finally showed some of the damage, and it looks like the NE is being sideswiped and getting clobbered.   :-\   

More local to us are the relief efforts that are still being sent to the Baton Rouge, LA area.  When a home is swamped with water, it is also major.

DanG

Yup!  That's something I learned in the Army...DanG Majors are a dime a dozen!  :D :D

Magicman

Good call DanG.  It looks like the storm got close to NY and got confused.   headscratch

gspren

I'm back home in PA now and feel very lucky that our beach house escaped undamaged. No loss of power and only one big garbage bag full of leaves/twigs to rake up, and this fall I'd of been raking them anyway. Our tides did get a few feet higher than normal but that just took some rope adjustments for the boat, water never came out of the canal. We must have had a hard rain here in PA while I was gone and I had to scrape the driveway but that's no big deal either. Good luck to those north of here that aren't done with Hermine yet.

caveman

Saturday morning I saw several bucket trucks heading north on I-75 south of Tampa. 
Caveman

Magicman

Thanks for the report Gary.   smiley_thumbsup

DanG

Quote from: caveman on September 05, 2016, 08:53:50 PM
Saturday morning I saw several bucket trucks heading north on I-75 south of Tampa.

Yeah, Florida Power sent 75 trucks and 150 linemen up here. They arrived yesterday and helped get it down to under 2500 homes without power.  Clean-up will go on for weeks and repairs for months.

Raider Bill

We ended up with 21 inches of rain in 3 days. Hermine drew all the humitity out of the air today. I'm thinking I can hear my Twinkie calling me.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!