iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric clutch or manual?

Started by Kwill, April 30, 2017, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Im considering using a electric clutch on my sawmill build versus a manual lever and pulley type. Anyone using a electric?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

scsmith42

I have electric on my homemade slabber.  For my application electric was best, but on a sawmill I think that I would use either centrifugal or manual engagement.

To me, the electric is a problem awaiting to occur.  So far we've had to repair the wiring to it three times due to vibration.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

I'm using an 18 hp B&S twin with the factory electric clutch:

So far, no issues.  Sure is nice to flick a switch and go.  I have a fixed pulley on the other side that I'm considering running a hydraulic pump to run drive motors for raise and lower as well as travel.  Or I could go the easy route and make it electric. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kwill

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 30, 2017, 10:35:16 PM
I'm using an 18 hp B&S twin with the factory electric clutch:

So far, no issues.  Sure is nice to flick a switch and go.  I have a fixed pulley on the other side that I'm considering running a hydraulic pump to run drive motors for raise and lower as well as travel.  Or I could go the easy route and make it electric. ;)
I like the idea of hitting a switch  ;)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

DDW_OR

my timberking uses an electric clutch, no problems.
"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

I have a centrifugal clutch. My shoulder could not do a lever that needed to be pushed every time I had to saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Joe Hillmann

I have an electric clutch on mine.  It came with the engine I bought to build my mill.  It failed the first summer and a direct replacement was around $900.  I ended up finding something close on 'discount alternator and starter' for around $120.  So far it doesn't appear to be wearing.  I idle down before I engage it and when do lots of quick cuts I keep it engaged between cuts to reduce wear.  The one I have now has a built in break and it is beginning to wear.  If I was to start over I would probably gone with some type of homemade clutch by moving the engine or an idler wheel.  But homemade ones require some type of cage around the belt and pulley by the engine to prevent the belt from rubbing on the engine pulley when it is disengaged otherwise it can wear out the belt in a mater of seconds or never fully disengage the clutch.

bandmiller2

Joe just said it electric clutches and centrifugal clutches are very expensive in the sizes needed for a band mill. A belt idler or rocking engine base are basically free if your building a mill. Electric clutches apply fast and belts almost always chirp, Idler you can ease them in. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bluejay27

I've used two LT40s with and without an electric clutch (tilting the engine), and the electric clutch is so much easier and has some added versatility. If you add a switch to the saw carriage and a bumper on the track (either at the end or move-able to optimize for log length) you can make the mill stop automatically. My setup needs some work (too easy to forget and crash the switch into the bumper), but it makes sawing alone a lot more productive.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

paul case

I didnt think that WM used an electric clutch on the lt40. They do have auto clutch which is a electric motor that tips the motor and tightens the belt.

What the OP question was about is belt tightener or 12 volt magnetic clutch if I am not mistaken.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kwill

Not sure which way i will go yet but the electric clutch is looking better and better
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!