iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Some years ago a bald eagle was found dead in a park in Kirkland, across the lake from Seattle.  When they examined it they found the remains of 6 crows in it.  Kind of understand why they hate the eagles so much.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

KEC

I read recently that in some areas, Northern Goshawks prey on crows for much of their food.

red

The Duke Farms Eagle Cam is showing two eggs already this year 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

Quote from: KEC on January 19, 2023, 08:36:48 PM
I read recently that in some areas, Northern Goshawks prey on crows for much of their food.
They do ruffed grouse for sure, seen it in real time. They'll eat your chickens to. Thus the name chicken hawk.

A year ago I saw a large hawk with a young turkey, must have been a red tail.

Have lots of large hawks around here we watch. Eagles fly by the porch every once in awhile. When someone had shot a moose in a field and abandoned it, the eagles moved in, the ravens and crows kept their distance. Our ravens here are big birds. We toss stuff out for the crows here almost daily. They never touch a garbage bag on garbage day here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Ravens don't come for scraps at all and the crows are very skiddish, they even watch the windows to see if you're around. Most other birds don't look in windows, or not scared of what they see anyway. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

NZ used to have a species of eagle that preyed on the moa birds.  Basically it was the apex predator, and probably the reason the moa birds evolved so big (and many other birds became nocturnal)

They died out some time after 1300 AD when the first Polynesian settlers arrived here, and basically ate all the moa, leaving the eagles with no prey. But old Maori legends still tell of birds that could snatch young children, and that might not have just been a legend. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poukai

Remains found suggest they weighed up to 33lb and had a 8-10ft wing span. But as their main prey was 500 lb chickens, they had to be large birds. Because they are relatively recent extinctions they have been able to do DNA analysis on remains (they aren't fossils, just "old") and find they were closely related to some smaller eagle species from Australia. But that is only a 2 lb bird.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

KEC

SD, Nice video. Recently, by use of nest cameras, it was shown that fishers raid goshawk nests. As to ravens, I operate a crow take-out behind the house. I put a Red Squirrel out there yesterday and a Gray Squirrel today. Two ravens came in and worked on them, though they don't come in nearly as often as the crows. Crows and ravens both are cautious when they come in, however I have seen some crows that seemed to fiqure out that my yard is crow friendly. One year a pair nested in a Blue Spruce 52 feet from the corner of the house.

SwampDonkey

Yes, the crows nest out behind the house in the older spruce trees. You can't find the nest either, well hidden. Those black feathers blend in well with the dark green needles. :D

KEC

When the crows nested in a spruce in my yard it took me a long time to find the nest, near the top in dense boughs. By sitting at the top of a 10' step ladder and reaching up holding a camera I got a photo of an adult and 1 nestling. One adult stays at the nest while the other goes for food and the nestlings are surprisingly quiet. I would post the photo but I'm having problems posting them. Not a FF issue.

woodroe

A pair of Bald Eagles dropped in for a meal yesterday.
Cleaning out the freezer and found a 14 lb turkey several yrs old 
so thawed it and donated it to the wildlife fund. 
Within an hour they were here. Course they could probably spot the blood red organs from the cavity bag from a mile away or more . They had eaten 1/2 of that turkey before they flew off. Was impressed at how easily they tore it apart.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Bricklayer51

Brother picked up some sunflower seeds last week price down 10 bucks 40 lbs

woodroe

The pair of Eagles were back this morning to finish up the turkey but  before they could finish a Fisher came loping out of the woods and took off with what was left. All pretty exciting.  

<br

SwampDonkey

Never know what will stumble out of the woods for a bite to eat. :D

woodroe

Yes SD, everybody loves a free meal.
Threw that Fisher pic up
in this Bird thread because they interacted with each other. The Fisher put the Eagles
up in the trees and stole their food . That all happened in less than a minute so was lucky to catch it on camera even though the pic wasn't the best.

KEC

I may have posted about this before, but a while back I tossed a Red Squirrel out behind the house. In short order 2 crows came in and were working on it. Then a Turkey Vulture was flying around preparing to land, but a Red-tailed Hawk swooped in and snatched the squirrel and flew off with it. Lately, the competition is keen between the crows, ravens, vultures and red-tails. The ravens are skilled at snatch'n grab when the hawk or vultures are on  the meal eating. Better than watching TV and no commercials.

Hilltop366

Got a few pictures of a owl that has been hanging around the yard lately.

It was sitting on a branch of a fallen poplar tree looking at the ground..... 

Then it almost fell off. :D

KEC

Great photos of a Barred Owl, Hilltop.

Hilltop366

It was being very cooperative, I walked past it (it was 50' off the edge of my driveway) then got my camera and drove back to it and took a few pictures on my way out the driveway. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I saw two barred owls one early morning over a year ago on my way to work. Leaving a field and into the woods in my truck, the owls flew out of the fir tops. This was just after sunrise. It was a small patch of mature fir trees.

Hilltop366

A couple of eagles around this week, this one landed too far from the house to get a decent picture so I had to go across the yard for it.

rusticretreater

Quite a menacing stare and the talons look ready for business.  Its how nature says to keep away.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Walnut Beast

Beautiful pictures hilltop!!! You seem like a  photography pro!! 

Hilltop366

Thank you, It's a hobby but I started young, I have been at it for over 40 years off and on.

Thank You Sponsors!