iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with trespassers

Started by whiskers, July 10, 2017, 11:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

And some of my favorite neighbors are only in their 2nd to 3rd generation to be walking upright. 

I am retired. I was able to retire because of income I earned when I worked in some very remote and dangerous areas of the world including several times in active war zones and I survived one coup d'etat in a central African Country. I have witnessed first hand what people can do to each other. What I own I bought with money I earned. It was not given to me through any government or other benevolent association or any rich uncle. I'll be very diligent to hold on to them or freely give them away but the decision is mine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Cedarman, should you ever need to chase someone on foot at night having a powerful flashlight is a great tool.

Be kind and illuminate the fleeing felons path across the field for him, let him get a good head of steam going, break neck would be a good description. Then just as he gets to the woodline shut off your light so it doesn't reflect off the trees and injure his eyes, while running at full speed with what are now restricted pupils from your bright light that you just shut off.

Most of these guys have a sudden moment of inflection and instantly become tree huggers.  

It is quite refreshing to see someone make such an abrupt change in the momentum of their life.

Guaranteed to take their breath away. It will bring a tear to your eye for sure, robust laughter always does.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I have personally watched a meth head go to sleep in a thorn thicket that was a buck bed, 3 nights in a row, before i ran him off.  I think theyre so busy itching and scratching their sores so as to not feel any different from the tick and chigger bites all over.  Me and my boy are all ate up now from a few recent hours in the woods.  The night vision and general night prowess of some of these turds is impressive, straight through briars and cobwebs in pitch black.  Spent many nights hunkered down on my side waiting to hear the fence get pushed down on the T-post.  Been spotted or sensed a few times and i know how to sit in ambush. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on July 21, 2021, 05:31:44 PM
Cedarman, should you ever need to chase someone on foot at night having a powerful flashlight is a great tool.

Be kind and illuminate the fleeing felons path across the field for him, let him get a good head of steam going. Then just as he gets to the woodline shut off your light so it doesn't reflect off the trees and injure his eyes, while running at full speed with what are now restricted pupils from your bright light that you just shut off.

Most of these guys have a sudden moment of inflection and instantly become tree huggers.  

It is quite refreshing to see someone make such an abrupt change in the momentum of their life.

Guaranteed to take their breath away. It will bring a year to your eye for sure, robust laughter always does.
This is a brilliant piece of literature right here! Very well written and heartily enjoyed (that means I spit beer through my nose). Truly in the spirit of Pat McManus's best work. Also very accurate and well founded advice.
 I have been reading and enjoying this thread throughout but kept my thoughts to myself. It's a regional thing, especially the beeping thing. I expect a 'toot' from bussies when they just drive by. It's kind of like a 'hey, howdy'. Horn blowing however, should be an emergency "come quick, I'm about to die right here!"
 I have a small parcel, but some of my neighbors are city folks with money and they have more and I keep a watch on their places as much as mine because they are not attuned to what can happen.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

Quote from: mike_belben on July 21, 2021, 05:42:47 PM
I have personally watched a meth head go to sleep in a thorn thicket that was a buck bed, 3 nights in a row, before i ran him off.  I think theyre so busy itching and scratching their sores so as to not feel any different from the tick and chigger bites all over.  Me and my boy are all ate up now from a few recent hours in the woods.  The night vision and general night prowess of some of these turds is impressive, straight through briars and cobwebs in pitch black.  Spent many nights hunkered down on my side waiting to hear the fence get pushed down on the T-post.  Been spotted or sensed a few times and i know how to sit in ambush.
It's just simply amazing what the Corp will teach a man, if he only just takes it in to the back of his mind in his brain-housing-group. 
Trying harder everyday.

dustyhat

I remember when you could let coonhounds and foxhounds loose and run them all night for miles and nobody cared, guess thats why im different than most ,if your ever in my neck of the woods feel free to hunt and go as you wish on any of my property's i really dont care, i have had guys die in dunebuggys ,fall out of tree stands and have never really heard from any lawyers. we only live so long and i like to see every body enjoy life . guess thats just me.

Patrick NC

One of the escapees from Dannemora state prison a few years ago was caught 10 miles away from my parents house. His partner was killed in a shootout in Malone new york  , 30 miles from their house. Both of these guys trespassed on multiple properties during their escape and stole guns and ammo from at least one hunting camp. They were convicted MURDERERS.  Anyone who says trespassers are harmless should think about that. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

Quote from: Tacotodd on July 21, 2021, 06:00:53 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on July 21, 2021, 05:42:47 PM
I have personally watched a meth head go to sleep in a thorn thicket that was a buck bed, 3 nights in a row, before i ran him off.  I think theyre so busy itching and scratching their sores so as to not feel any different from the tick and chigger bites all over.  Me and my boy are all ate up now from a few recent hours in the woods.  The night vision and general night prowess of some of these turds is impressive, straight through briars and cobwebs in pitch black.  Spent many nights hunkered down on my side waiting to hear the fence get pushed down on the T-post.  Been spotted or sensed a few times and i know how to sit in ambush.
It's just simply amazing what the Corp will teach a man, if he only just takes it in to the back of his mind in his brain-housing-group.
A meth zombie with a handful of warrants is just as good at survival as any jarhead i ever met.  That stuff allows people to be content in a lower level of misery than most people can endure. Just completely rewires them.  We all have a ton of wants and a handful of real needs.  When someone is really in the clutches of that junk their only need seems to be more.  Food and shelter gets demoted to a want.
Praise The Lord

aigheadish

I'm with @Cedarman as far as not lighting my place up at night. My house is only a few hundred feet off the road but in the summer it's very easy to pass right by without realizing there is a house there. It's obviously a bit more noticeable with lights on at night and prior to living here I was always a front-porch-light-is-on kind of fella. Now, I try my best to make it so you don't even know there's a house back there. The wife recently installed motion sensor lights on the garage that only stay on for about a minute and while I like them, now, they do make the house much easier to see. 

Flashlights are cool. I've never had to weaponize mine but I have one that will light up, like daylight, the backyard, to look for any manner of critters. Only takes about a second to blind someone for a bit with it. I like the idea of giving someone a runway with one just before turning off the sun on them, so they are completely lost.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

stavebuyer

Its been noted in other discussions that folks up no good often disguise their identities so taking their picture does no good. While that is true; I like getting the text messages from my cell cameras in real time. Being alerted to uninvited activity often provides the opportunity to respond.  :snowball:

doc henderson

I have a little flash light with a strobe that would disable you for a bit.  it is a bit of a pain if you want to use the reg. light and wind up on strobe.  I used to give the 4 cell mag light to graduating nieces going off to college to have by the bedside as a weapon for intruders. i told them shine in the eyes and hit the head and face.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

As far as trespassers go, know who your neighbors are, it can greatly help to tell friend from foe. Being in a rural area I'm able to do this much more than living in a big city, and I'm fortunate to know who most of the people are in my neighborhood. Also there is a community page online for our township, and kind of works like a neighborhood watch. About a year ago there were a series of break-ins to sheds in the area, and we were able to find out what was being taken, and a rough description of a suspicious vehicle to watch out for.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

YellowHammer

We've had a couple coon hunting episodes.  One where a couple guys were at my gate about midnight (picked them up on the security system) and I drove down to talk to them.  They were drunk, and wanted access to free roam the property because "Their dogs were running a coon, and don't know no boundaries."  So I said the dogs were welcome to keep chasing the coon and pass through, but humans weren't allowed.  I told the guys they could just wait until the dogs were on someone else's property and then they could wake them up in the middle of the night, like they did me.

Another night incident was a little more humorous.  We woke up to the sound of coon dogs baying.  We could see flashlights as a group of people were walking through our dark woods, scanning nearby tree tops, looking for the raccoons.  The problem was, they kept getting closer and closer to the house, and the guys, who obviously weren't supposed to be on the property, didn't know there was a house nearby.  That is a very bad situation, because they could have shot and hit our house.  We have enough floodlights to light up a college football stadium, but were turned off because of the power drain.  Anyway, we waited and waited, and watched, sitting in the dark, hoping they would go the other way, but when they got too close, I flipped on the couple billion watts (I'm exaggerating) of lights, and the whole world lit up for them like they were suddenly standing on the 50 yard line.  They freaked, snatched their dogs up, and skedaddled.  No harm, no foul, as far as I was concerned.  They learned their lesson.    

Interestingly enough, the neighbors still talk about how they heard through the grapevine that I could light up the property so it could be seen from outer space. :D :D  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mike_belben

The most mileage i have gotten is simply going to turds right where they live for the negotiations.   Your team make the rules?  Okay.   I can slither in the night, i can partner with and rally your enemies, and i can burn a house too.  You want war or you want peace?  I will stay out of your yard, keep your customers out of mine. 

Disclaimer here:  you might get killed standing your ground.  You will most certainly get run over by droves of opportunistic predators if you do not.  Life is a gamble, try to live the way you want to be remembered in passing. 

Praying for my enemies has been the most powerful weapon ive experienced. The Lord makes good on his promise to make them a footstool.    
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

Now we are having problems with theft of fire fighting equipment! That is really getting low but I guess there is a market for cheap fire pumps and hose, ask no questions and be told no lies but lives are at stake here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

That is the lowest of low. They deserve excavator justice. 

HM126

HemlockKing

Quote from: btulloh on July 22, 2021, 01:23:05 PM
That is the lowest of low. They deserve excavator justice.
:D :D :D 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 22, 2021, 01:17:33 PM
Now we are having problems with theft of fire fighting equipment! That is really getting low but I guess there is a market for cheap fire pumps and hose, ask no questions and be told no lies but lives are at stake here.
What a time to choose to steal fire fighting equipment eh? 
A1

Southside

Yup. Tongue in cheek. Nothing to see here folks, please move along, move along. 

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I don't see nothing. Nope, not a thing. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

SS,

Nice machine. I double checked my lime supply too. I'm still good.

You need to just periodically go out and fire off a few rounds then go fire up the excavator, rev it up real good and go dig a hole somewhere and move around a few big rocks to keep people wondering.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I also have the beauty of distance. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

SS, I don't know, how fast will that thing go?  If I was doing a snatch and run, I would use a getaway vehicle that couldn't get chased down by an excavator.  Was it a high speed pursuit?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

You never win a pursuit in the straight away, it's all about making it through the corners, and this baby corners like it's on tracks....oh wait... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

aigheadish

Good call on lighting up the yard @YellowHammer . I have run power about halfway out to the back yard, several hundred feet, for a pool that is no longer there. Eventually, I plan to have some lights that will point up into the trees, but it'd also be nice to have some serious floodlight power back there too.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!