iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracking rate for ash cookies?

Started by kelLOGg, April 18, 2021, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

For me its about 0, unlike any other wood. I have sawn about 900 ranging in diameters from 2" to 16", thicknesses from 0.5" to 1.5" with moisture contents about 14%. So far, only 2 have cracked - they were 16 inches diameter and 3/4" thick and 14% MC.  I have put some in the kiln so I will find out what happens at 8%.
What has been your experience?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

I only cut ash cookies from one tree, about 50, but they all cracked. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chet

Mine always turned out like WDH's, self splittin' firewood.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

xlogger

I cut about 6- 3" thick a few weeks ago. Cracking now.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

At what MC did they start cracking? Mine are all very close to air tried and a few test pieces are in the kiln - still only 2 cracks out of ~900.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

aigheadish

I can't speak for cookies, at least like you guys are talking about, but I've cut a fair amount, intending them to be bowl blanks and everything cracked to the point of me being a relatively new turner to be a bit scared of putting them on the lathe.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kelLOGg

Most of my cookies have small voids in the center which may account for my luck in minimal cracking.
The 2 cracked ones are on top in the 1st pic.

doc henderson

the larger the diameter, the more likely they are to split.  also there is an unknown magic thickness relative to species and diameter, that I wish I knew.  i think that @GeneWengert-WoodDoc toured a facility that does a lot of them but was sworn to secrecy.  but maybe had some hints that if he tells us, he does not have to kill us.   8)  (secret agent sunglasses).   :) :)   ;)   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Joe Hillmann

When I am sawing cabin logs I find ash is probably the worst wood when it comes to splitting when drying.

WDH

Cookies that I cut from walnut that were 6 - 8" in diameter and 5/8" thick had very minimal cracking.  I have found thinner = less severe cracking. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

My experience on the larger ones in the first photo is no better than 50% non cracking.  On the smaller ones in the second photo I have had much better results with probably 80% non cracking.  My method on those is to cut 100's and throw them into a set of older mower rear bagger bags hanging from the wall.  The bags are heavy duty and also open mesh for a slightly controlled drying rate.  After a few months of sitting in the bags I dump them into rubbermaid 18 gal totes for long term storage until use.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

21incher

I have not had good luck with ash. Walnut and cherry give me better results. Yours look fantastic.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kantuckid

FWIW, you can cut cookies-thick or thin from Catalpa and they'll not crack tangentially. I got one ~ 30" dia on my front porch with three long legs as a table. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!