iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Instant roof...sorta

Started by Percy, December 16, 2021, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Things have slowed sown some with the colder weather...so its been a great time to make additions/modifications yadda. Whenever there is a gap in orders, we start building....Increased the size of the sharpening/tool shack by double on the ground floor and added a room upstairs with a deck to cover firewood. Roof was 18 feet up and uncomfortable to work on that high. Its been done many times before but a first for me, we built the whole roof on the mill floor nice and low, then lifted the whole thing up with the hoe. Was quick and fun!

December 16, 2021 - YouTube
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Yea, but you needed that custom engineered spreader bar to pick it up with.  :D Good job! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Quote from: Southside on December 16, 2021, 12:40:48 PM
Yea, but you needed that custom engineered spreader bar to pick it up with.  :D Good job!
🤣🤣we built the truss's from our lumber and added a couple 2x6x20 full length so the ends were sticking out. Theses were attached to every truss king post. Custom spreader was a 22 foot Sitka spruce about 17 inches in diameter. 

Ljohnsaw

Yeah!  Everyone has a spare trackhoe to use! :D  I like the OSHA approve man lift ;)  Pretty cool idea.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stephen1

Sometimes there are easy ways do something. Looks good.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PAmizerman

Your as bad as me😂 
Just can't resist adding more dry space.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

beenthere

Percy
Reminds me of member @lyle niemi , another Canadian who flew a roof that he pre-built on the ground. 

Another very enterprising man building a circular sawmill that he could run himself. 

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=166301
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Percy

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 16, 2021, 02:21:56 PM
Yeah!  Everyone has a spare trackhoe to use! :D  I like the OSHA approve man lift ;)  Pretty cool idea.
Yes the track hoe was invaluable on this project. Its not our hoe. We rent it. Found a contractor that had too much idle equipment and short on storage space. We pay for the machine rental on an hourly basis off the hour meter. We are liable for any damage. Its a good deal for both of us. Have had several different hoes here on the same program over the years and have been without often. This one is a monster. When determining how high it could lift the roof, we measured  over 40 feet when in a "highest position" tip of bucket to ground.
Ya, the "man lift" is sketchy :o

Southside

For years my man lift was "Grab the good pallet", which often was met with "the good pallet has stuff on it", found an actual man basket on a scratch and dent sale. That makes it nice!

I think my favorite part of the video is the fine adjustments made with the telehandler and the hoe. "Just give it a push, oops too much, ahh, just right!" That had me laughing! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

If'en it ain't wrong, it's gotta be right and that is alright !!  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

aigheadish

I'm with Southside. The little "tap tap" here, then "tap tap" there were great! 

Good work!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Percy

Quote from: Southside on December 17, 2021, 10:36:24 AM
For years my man lift was "Grab the good pallet", which often was met with "the good pallet has stuff on it", found an actual man basket on a scratch and dent sale. That makes it nice!

I think my favorite part of the video is the fine adjustments made with the telehandler and the hoe. "Just give it a push, oops too much, ahh, just right!" That had me laughing!
In hind sight, if I ever do this again, I will attach strategically placed temporary guides on the roof so as you drop it into place, it automatically locates itself properly. Dont know why I didnt think of it..I need you and Mike B around when I do this stuf...

maple flats

A much smaller excavator, but that's how I built a shooting house deer blind. I set up right next to my sawmill, got out my battery powered circular saw and ran an air hose to run a staple gun. I then sawed some poplar @ 5/8" thick and some 2x6's to frame a floor. I then built a 5' x 5' platform, attached some 1x's I had for flooring. From there I built each side as a separate component. Using the thin sawn poplar as vertical siding. I put a window opening on 3 sides and a door on the 4th with a 12" x 18" shooting window in the door. Each of the other 3 sides has a 30" x 24"H opening with a hinged door covering it. I then put a cross timber (3x6 hemlock) thru 2 opposite window openings, ran straps from my excavator bucket to each side, and lifted the whole thing and carried it into the woods where I then set it on 4  8x8x16 concrete blocks as a footer. I then built the roof, carried it out, complete with steel roofing, set it on the blind and attached it at each corner. I've hunted out of that for about 12 yrs, gotten plenty of deer from it.
I would have attached the roof earlier, but then my little excavator wouldn't have been able to carry it because of the height, as it was I had to go slow carrying the blind because un-even ground kept catching a corner of the blind. On level ground I could only get it about 12" off the ground and driving in the woods the undulating ground was a challenge.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

terrifictimbersllc

20,000 lb cupola, 350 ton crane. Last june in Appleton, WI. The crane and five flatbeds of counterweights (about 120 tons) came in earlier in the week.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kelLOGg

Percy,
It surely was well balanced 8)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Resonator

Commonly done on commercial construction jobs to build sections on the ground and lift them, the key is to have enough counterweight. The crane is strongest when the load is right next to the machine, when you have to reach out and lift is when it gets sketchy. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!