iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Belsaw /Edger?

Started by whittle1, March 17, 2021, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

I just picked up an older Foley belsaw planer/moulder that has the saw arbor attachment with a single saw blade. Tell me if this is crazy but does anyone think I could add another blade and make an edger out of this. 

moodnacreek

If it has those small rubber coated feed rolls you may not even be able to plane certain woods. Those who moulded and split [sawed] used fixed guides as I remember.

BUGGUTZ

I hope your feed rollers are in good shape. I have been trying to get my hands on a new set for a few years. About to sell off my planer for parts.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Anderson

Quote from: BUGGUTZ on March 18, 2021, 09:13:04 PM
I hope your feed rollers are in good shape. I have been trying to get my hands on a new set for a few years. About to sell off my planer for parts. 
I was able to get a set from these folks. Of course I don't know what model you have. Mine is a Foley 912. 

https://www.belsaw.com/PLpage1.html

69bronco

Quote from: Anderson on March 19, 2021, 07:12:11 AM
Quote from: BUGGUTZ on March 18, 2021, 09:13:04 PM
I was able to get a set from these folks. Of course I don't know what model you have. Mine is a Foley 912.

984/985 & 910/9103 Parts List & Diagram.
Is that the gentleman from California? I jut got a set from him, nice guy and the service was alot faster than I expected.

Anderson

Yes, I believe he is in california. My experience was the same, quick, helpful service. 
I may be calling him again soon, my neighbor just gave me two more older Foley Belsaw planers. 

firefighter ontheside

I spoke to him a few weeks ago about the belsaw that someone gave me.  It has no knives or gibs.  It originally came with the saw attachment but that has been lost.  Trying to decide what to do with it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Anderson

I think they are good, simple, basic planers for the money. Slow, but you get a good finish with sharp knives. And they will take a big bite. Per Foley Belsaw manual 3/16" per pass. With the 5 hp motor

I made some flooring with mine some years ago. 

Shaky iPhone video  ;D
Craftsman Foley Belsaw Planer/Moulder In Action - YouTube

moodnacreek

Well that one works. I gave up on the one I gave my son after putting a 5 hp on the main shaft and another motor and gear box on the feed. It would never feed pine.

glendaler

I put a 6.5hp gas engine on mine, feeds everything no problem and takes 3/16 off 10" spruce boards and the engine doesnt even know it. Couldn't be happier with mine.
Belsaw A10 circle mill,

TKehl

This may be a dumb question, but can't you get parts and heads from Woodmaster?  Maybe we are talking about older models, but it seems like there should be a lot of interchange with the current production...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!