iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I think the ply wood fronts on the guards is a good idea.  If a blade ever jumps off  the plywood will do less damage to it than metal.

larrydown60

Joe Hillmann, yes it might save a blade or two I hope

Magicman

If your sawmill throws a blade, something is wrong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Magicman on July 24, 2016, 09:39:51 PM

He is building his own mill and learning to saw while trying to work the kinks out of it, I would say there is a very good chance he will have a couple blades come off.  I know I did when I first got my mill running.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on July 24, 2016, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: Magicman on July 24, 2016, 09:39:51 PM

He is building his own mill and learning to saw while trying to work the kinks out of it, I would say there is a very good chance he will have a couple blades come off.  I know I did when I first got my mill running.

+1 on that.  Took me two times to learn NOT to back the head up with the blade running :-\ and once I put on a new blade and didn't have the tracking right - the blade decided to take a stroll...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I understand, but thrown blades most probably would also suffer some kinking/bending which could be more damaging than bent teeth.  My comment was directed toward the fact that after the build and tuneup, thrown blades should not be a normal or regular occurrence.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

larrydown60

At least I will know how to fix the sawmill when I am done building it.LOL

Magicman

And even with a "bought made" sawmill, you had better understand it and know how to fix it.  I admire your ingenuity.    smiley_thumbsup

larrydown60

Thanks Magicman I did buy a set of plans Which were pretty good when I followed them instead of just looking at the pics. lol The hardest part is trying to remember that what I am building is usually backwards. I have had to rebuild several pieces over again I am almost ready to start assembly but I had a mix up when I ordered all the pulleys and bearings and gears and didn't order enough parts. Only ordered one of everything so time to get some more parts on the way.

larrydown60

Just a few pics of the safety cover hangers the covers will be removeable

larrydown60

Got the idle side safety cover built today drive side tomorrow

Czech_Made

larrydown60

Got the drive side safety cover finished and a few more pics of the safety cover hangers and how they hang. the angle iron is welded to back of the covers and it makes the covers removable I have to wait a few more days for the rest of the bearings to come in before I can hang the safety covers 

tnaz

Sure looks good.  Pretty work! 8)

fishfighter

Looking good. As I posted before, that's going to be one heavy sucker. You might need to add another axle to your trailer. :D

larrydown60

Thanks Tnaz and yes Fishfighter it is a heavy mother can't wait to get the thing weighed might have to jump the registration weight up  ::)

larrydown60

Got the wood safety covers made today also quit raining long enough today so I got saw beam welded in today 

larrydown60

It was Christmas Monday got all the bearings, pulleys and belts. Installed the drive arbor and Idle arbor with bearings and safety cover hangers clamped on will hang the safety covers tomorrow

Ox

Lookin' good, bud.  Looks like a professional Cooks machine!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

larrydown60

Thanks Ox a little slow finishing up been really hot lately and tired of the heat

Joe Hillmann

How can you stand putting that much time into a machine before you use it?  Mine didn't even have an engine, carriage, or track before I started using it to cut lumber. 

You are doing beautiful work but I want to see that thing put together and running.

larrydown60

Joe Hillman being disabled low on funds has slowed things down a bit and I had open heart surgery that slowed me down for about 6 months all feels better now, but it is almost ready to run got to wait on getting the last few things Machined. I have everything as far as parts Maybe a week or two I will have a video of this monster running

larrydown60

A few more things done today got the Safety covers mounted and removable plywood covers installed and I had to make different levelers because the lower acme rod holders were hitting on the old levelers had to move them out 7 inches I got 2 done today before it started to sprinkle. I also Installed the 19" band wheels installed just to check clearances all is good.  It is starting to look alot like a saw mill 8)

Ljohnsaw

Wow, I really like your blade guards!  On your stability / levelers - that is a pretty good leverage arm, when you drop a few thousand pound log on the bed, they are going to take a beating.  Are you going to add more gussets to reinforce them?  I think they would have been better welded to where the cross pieces are attached.  That way the beam would be less likely to twist under the forces.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

larrydown60

Ljohnsaw Everything I used for the stabilizer is 3x3 x 3/16 with a 4'x4'x1/4 plate welded to the 3x3 then I welded 1/4 plate welded to 8" C channel frame which it is 3/8 thick do I need to still put a gusset on  or should I weld a 1/4 stiffener top and bottom of the t on the horizontal to the vertical leg? I am all eyes and ears This the first thing I have ever built with metal/steel so I am open for suggestions  Thanks for any help

Thank You Sponsors!