iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Farmer nails.  ffsmiley A carpenter friend of mine turned 60 a few years ago so I gave him 60 bentish rusty nails out of my bucket. He laughed his dad dad saved nails too.  The stories made me smile. 

TimW

It is amazing what an old bucket of nails did for all of us. :sunny:
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Tom K

Quote from: TimW on May 02, 2024, 10:12:59 PMIt is amazing what an old bucket of nails did for all of us. 
Yup, sure is. It's also the reason I don't have a rusty bucket of nails sitting around now  ffsmiley

I know I'm a little younger than some of ya'll, but I have similar memories. While we weren't poor when I was growing up we weren't that far from it. My parents bought their first house in '88 when I was 7 years old. It was an old farm house with a big old barn that needed some love. My dad spent a whole summer tearing down the rougher part and rebuilding the better part.....yup, many buckets of nails were saved and re-used. 

A couple years later he put a new roof on the house. I remember begging him to let me get up on the 2 story roof to help, he finally gave in and let me help as long as I stayed near the valleys. I'm pretty sure some of those roofing nails were used as well.....

wudshp

This brought back lots of good memories.  I spent a couple weeks in the summer with grandpa and grandma.  He moved houses, sold pig feed,  kept a few beef cows and some pigs.  He also survived the depression.  I wanted to drive the riding mower but he had other jobs first.  He set me up on an anvil with a oak cask of bent nails and showed me how to straighten them.  I went at it with the hope of simplicity riding mower glory.  It took me a couple days on and off because we did lots of chores with him.  I struggled to stay with it but finally finished the cask.  Showed him what I did.  Got a nod and he walked over to another one of his lean to sheds and brought out another cask and I saw the were still a bunch more waiting in the wings.  That was the end of the highly motivated part.  I kept at it but not as fast.  He did let me drive the mower.  He had rigged up a vacuum pickup on a big plywood trailer and we fed the cows with the grass. Thanks for the reminder and smile. 

TimW

Tom K,
      That gave me a laugh. I can imagine how deflated you were when he brought out the 2nd cask of nails.
 I remember, when I was around 12, I wanted a new riding 8hp lawntractor for my birthday present!  Dad bought a new one, but not for my birthday.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

caveman

A
A few weeks ago I took some L shaped scraps that the students use to practice welding on and made a tabletop jig for them to use.  A full 2x4 will fit inside the hole, although it currently has a 1x4 in it.  The idea behind this it to hold the narrow edgings off of the edger and accumulate them.  The forks will fit between the board and the edgings and if spaced and marked, they can be bundled to be sawn to length for stickers.  We used it yesterday and it seemed to work pretty well.

Caveman

PJS

@barbender 

Here's the pics of the broken bunk.

My thought was to grind down the broken ends. Then take a 6-8" chunk of 3x3x.375 HSS weld it into the upright. Then slip the bunk back on and build the welds up with the tubing inside as support. But I'm open to suggestions, I don't like doing things twice! And next time it breaks will be my fault haha! 

barbender

PJS, that should work- but I would also plate both sides and strap the top and bottom. For an example of the job the top strap does, the Ponsse forwarder bunks tend to break where two pieces of strap are butted. There is a lot of tension strain on those when you have a load of wood mounded up👍😊
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!