iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using ATVs for logging

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, June 24, 2008, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Fact of the matter is I always Ride with a helmet in the trails. ;D
In that clip I was adding to my trail system, made a log bridge over a ditch and had just taken off my bright orange logging helmet, put down my chain saw and took off my chaps so I could go 3 miles per hour to try it out. :D

Jeff

I dont where my helmet when I'm on my property.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

Are the legs on those chairs bowing out? Waiting to buckle? Take some of that wood and build ya some adirondack style chairs. Looks like more fun than work in those pictures. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Nice photos, Ironwood!  :)

Which JD model do you have there?    

Great job on the logging arch, too.  It certainly looks like it'll be around forever ... and those racks -- great idea!  ;D

I'm really happy to see that I'm not the only one trying to "go small."
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Ironwood

That is a 2005 HPX diesel. An arch will REALLY move some weight, go with the hydraulic surge brake, it would be a REALLY COOL addition to a small scale arch operation. Here is a BIG one, modeled after the Tractor Arch by Logrite, but sized in between the Tractor model and the discontinued Hugo. Logrite's stuff is ABSOLUTELY top notch if you don't have acess to welding and the like. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

zackman1801

with these logging arches if you built one to be used with chokers could you put on 3 or 4 logs in one choker and haul them out that way. im talking about firewood sized things probably tree length but not more than 12-16" DBH. im interested because its probably only worth my time to build one if i can get more than one log on because it would take far too long to get alot of firewood out.

also would it be possible to use some kind of hand powered winch with them? i really dont have hardly any money to spend with everything going on.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Ironwood

If you are "chokering" I would rig up some sort of 12v powered winch. I dont even like hand winching one like in that picture. Major pain. If it is effiecency your are after then try to power up the cable, this would speed things up a good bit.
Ironwood

RSteiner

On the arch I built I mounted a two speed hand crank boat winch with about 20 feet of cable on the back of the arch.  The is used to drag the log to the arch at times and also to lift the log off the ground so it can be chained up off the ground.

Randy
Randy

Dom

Quote from: RSteiner on June 26, 2008, 09:29:47 AM
Quote from: Dom on June 25, 2008, 11:22:11 AM
I have to agree with Ed about the Ford 8N (or older tractors for that matter). You have to be able to fix it yourself, and be good at fixing things to run an old tractor. I usually go by the mentality that if the farmer decides to sell equipment, its done. Farmers in my area will change parts, customize and modify machines to get the most life they can out of the machines/parts.

If you can find an old unmolested tractor, it will do more work then a ATV. A small newer compact tractor would be my personal choice. They can do more work then a ATV, and are generally bought by hobby farmers or people with bigger then average properties, therefore are not run hard.

I use my ATV (polaris 400 2wd) to carry my chain saw to go travel the woods. When I'm ready to haul the wood out, I go with a 40HP 4WD John Deere. I don't do much work, mostly clearing of brushes to maintain the land.

My 2 cents (CAD :) )

Having owner an 8N for 20 years and using it for wood gathering work I can attest to the fact that you may have to repair something now and then.  The however of this is all the things I had to fix were due to pushing the tractor beyond the limits and that all the parts I ever needed were readly available.  The steering can get loose and sloppy and is not power steering.  I have broke a lift arm pulling too much sideways with the winch, my fault.  I have changed a water pump, replaced the steering box, exhaust and intake manifold, rebuilt the carb and done yearly tune ups.  Never changed over to a 12 volt system and my generator did not work for 20 years but that was never a big issue. 

They are an amasing machine considering the 50+ years of age and the amout of work they have done during that time.

Randy

I agree, they are amazing little tractors that changed the tractor industry in my opinion, but they still may not be the optimal tool for everyone. I actually saw 2 8N for sale locally, I'll have to stop and peak at them. :)

Piece of Rottne Industri history: The first Rottne machines used Ford tractors (I forgot the model) minus the front axle. The only modification to the powertrain was a better clutch.

Back to topic, those log arches are nice. I now have a new project to do. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!