iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

English Walnut

Started by redbeard, November 12, 2019, 01:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

I toasted a blade in that mud , blade rose a inch in the last 6-8" of cut. On the last cut. After pressure washing the clay out,
The edges and root inclusions are a shiny black  curious too see if the wood will stay hard and not spongy.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mtoo747

Quote from: redbeard on November 20, 2019, 11:47:31 AM

milling the  English Walnut / Black Walnut Burled stump ( Cookie style 3" slabs turned out some nice figure and larger slabs.

a
Now THAT is a COOKIE!!!!! 8)

hacknchop

Spectacular I'm impressed thank you for sharing this wonderful experience 
Often wrong never indoubt

redbeard

the California English Walnut Orchard is getting closer too all the stumps and trunks removed.
Awaiting some pics of stacks soon to be done.
He did send me this one of a 24" dia. Trunk with another nice (Onion) my nickname for round burls.
This one is 60" across, should yeild some nice wide figured cookie slabs.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Trahlin

I'm seeing some fantastic shotgun stocks and forearms when I look at this wood! 8)
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Ianab

I think this is an English Walnut. Friend wanted them taken down as they are monstering the neighbours house, and starting to shed ~18" branches.  There are 2 of them. Maybe 4ft dia?

Contractor was lined up to drop them with the help of an excavator, but they took a 2nd look, and didn't think the 12 ton was enough insurance. They are coming back to do more ground work and will bring some Heavy Metal for that job. Lean a 20 ton machine on them and you have a lot more reserve push. 

But they can just lay them on the ground, then I can do something with them. 

Note the native epiphytes growing up there. A mix of ferns and orchids. Rain Forest climate.  Stuff just grows. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AK Newbie

What an awesome project Jeff!  I recently sawed up a big chunk of California walnut burl for a friend who had stored it in his shop for 20+ years.  Loved the character in those slabs.  Thanks for sharing this adventure I look forward to following it!

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

redbeard

My 5 gallon jug of Pentacryl
Showed up today. Going to apply it on the end grain and Burled Walnut cookies and slabs tomorrow.
If anyone has some experience using this product with any tips, please chime in. This is new territory for us 

redbeard

took a bit too get this burl stump set up too get some nice level cuts.
 we got 36" rounds and two 48" + rounds.

some real nice full burl slabs

Magicman

I really need to be there with you!!!  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Quote from: redbeard on November 20, 2019, 03:24:55 PM
I toasted a blade in that mud , blade rose a inch in the last 6-8" of cut. On the last cut. After pressure washing the clay out,
The edges and root inclusions are a shiny black  curious too see if the wood will stay hard and not spongy.
At least it was the last cut. Will you still be able to slavage those 2? How thick do you mill them? 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TimGA

Jeff,
   Really nice, looks like that Hudsun does a really nice job.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

samandothers

Glad to see this thread pop back up.  Really neat wood slabs. 

thecfarm

Yes, very nice looking wood!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

offrink

Would like to know how you used that wood stabilizer for the cookies. I was under the impression that you needed to submerge the whole cookie for quite a while. 

redbeard

We have been milling the burl slabs at 3" thick, We have figured out that if we use the pressure washer (2500 psi) too clean the slabs of clay, dirt and spend some time removing all of bark off the 3" live edge too expose the beauty of spikes and karbunkles it should really help with the air drying process. When they air dry down too 16-18% they will be ready for kiln drying. 
When there dry and ready for wood working we will take them down the road close by too my friend that has a awesome CNC machine that can flatten, sand and polish the surfaces.
Then we will pour dentures alcohol on surface and take pics for internet marketing.
The Pentacryl is new too me and we are trying different techniques so far brushing it on heavy seems too work.
We wait two weeks after milling so all the pressure washing water has a chance too dissipate.
We're only using Pentacryl on end grain slabs.
Results have shown no major checking or curling on the thin practice cookies we have for testing using cedar, fir, oak, Madrone.

Autocar

Gun stock blanks is what I see. I have paid big bucks for English Walnut stock blanks. Beautiful wood you have there for sure. We have a few English Walnuts in our area but when I sawed them I wasn't real impressed with the color or figure. I never new that the burls were growing under ground like that. Pretty interesting !
Bill

wkf94025

I had a nice chat with @redbeard last night about his 2019 California adventure with walnut.  I have access to an dozen walnut coming down soon, and it's the typical graft situation, black (?) walnut rootstock with English above.  Question for this savvy crowd:  which species is more marketable, and in which form?  Slabs, cookies, dimensional, charcuterie, gun stocks? And English or black?  (Maybe the answer is "all" to both questions.)  Some refer to the root stock as claro, but I thought claro was a different species.  I appreciate any guidance.  For those who have extracted rootballs ("onions" as @redbeard refers to them), and advice on equipment and technique?  Thanks all.  Here are a few sample logs taken from the job earlier this week.  More photos and dimensions later this week.

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Crossroads

Neat project! There will be a lot of coffee tables around soon. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

Ohhh I love English Walnut!

My bar, a coffee table and more are made from it.  Sawed it thick, planed/jointed it down once dry :D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

wkf94025

The English walnut is an easy ID.   However, having some trouble confirming which species of walnut this is, based on internet photos and descriptions.
Based on this resource, it seems to me to be either California Black Walnut (Juglans californica) or Northern California Black Walnut (Juglans hindsii).  

"The Northern California walnut tree has a single trunk, and the tree grows up to 60 ft. (18 m) tall. Also called Hinds' black walnut or claro walnut, the tree is mostly used in the lumber industry.  The 'Hinds' black walnut's leaves are about 12" (30 cm) long. The blades are made up of 13 – 21 leaflets up to 5″ (12 cm) long. There are some small tufts of hair on the leaves."  

Anyone?

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

tule peak timber

Now you have me wondering. There is a slight difference in bark structure on this old grafted walnut bottom and some of the nongrafted walnut I have in the yard. The (Black/Claro) two walnuts look slightly different when milled but not so much that they could not be mixed together on a project. The grafted logs I have are older than me and I always assumed that the bottoms were Claro, now you have me questioning that.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!