iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing Carrots

Started by woodsteach, April 23, 2009, 01:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I need help.

We grow virtually everything in the garden, but CARROTS.  I can't seem to get them to grow.  Do any of you have any pointers?

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

caz

If the problem you have is your carrots don't grow long but instead short and fat is because the ground is to hard below the seed bed.

I had the same problem what I do now is take a shovel and dig a deep trench ( v) then fill it back in and plant
on top of it . They will grow as deep as you dug also make sure not to plant them to thick if you do just thin them when they sprout.

Hope this helps good luck

SwampDonkey

:D :D I remember the first time I grew carrots in the garden. I had 3 long rows, about 30 feet long. Sure was a lot of thinning. The carrots were over 10 inches long. In September I dug them and had a 100 lb burlap sack per row.  8) Anyone need any carrots? :D I quit growing a garden, I couldn't begin the eat it all.  ;D All I have now is raspberries and can just barely keep up with the picking. I pick my spuds from the neighbor's potato field after he digs his crop. He doesn't hill them very good, but there is plenty after ya discard the light burnt ones. Dad needs to show some of these fella's how to grow them. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Carrots are hard to get to germinate and make it through the first couple of weeks, after that point they are easy to grow.

Here's what I do. First make sure the soil is right for carrots like caz said. Then get some vermiculite from the garden center, spread a thin layer over the soil you are planting in. The soil has to be pretty finely prepared with no clods or chunks. On top of this layer spread the carrot seed. Then cover with another layer of the vermiculite. Cover with oat straw pieces, I just pull off sections, water well. In 10 days or so look to see if the carrots are up. If they are remove the straw and keep the seed bed moist but not wet for a week or so.

Carrot seed is very tiny and does not like to be buried very deep so don't cover it too deep.

Onthesauk

I use to take a thin board and use it to make a shallow line in the soil, maybe 1/2 inch deep.  Put the seed down the line and then backfill with fine sand.  And like Norm says, after you get them going they are easy, just need to be thinned.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

I planted 3 rows of 8 feet, a total of 24 feet with one seed packet.  Used the seed packet itself to make a thin line in the loose dirt about 1/2 inch deep.  We have thinned and continue to thin.  There was enough seed to plant for 48 feet in that packet just no easy way to handle the small seed.(unless someone has a handling/planting tip they would like to share) ::)
Thinned one out tonight for your thread. :D

The package says:
Sow in deep, well worked, stone free soil after danger of heavy frost.
Sow seeds thinly in rows 12 ' apart.  Cover with fine soil, firm lightly and keep evenly moist.  Do not transplant, as crooked roots may result.

thecfarm

We always had to thin them growing up.Most of ours never looked like the ones in the store.We used the board method too.Your soil does need to be on the light side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Always just flipped the hoe end for end to make the planting ditch. Take the seed in hand and rub them through your fingers to get them spaced well. Take and dust over the seed with your  hand like your dusting off a table with your hand in a house that ain't been lived in for 40 years. Flip to hoe over and tap the soil over the planted area. As little bending as possible, as there will be plenty enough later. ;D

The thing I found hard to germinate was parsnip. But boy, they sure are good in the spring time dug out of the garden.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Mooseherder

One way to seed small seeds is to mix them with sand that is similar in size. Mix well and then just seed. This dilutes the seed so you do not have to thin as much.

Stonebroke

Mooseherder

Quote from: stonebroke on April 24, 2009, 09:59:37 AM
Mooseherder

One way to seed small seeds is to mix them with sand that is similar in size. Mix well and then just seed. This dilutes the seed so you do not have to thin as much.

Stonebroke

That sounds like a winner! :)
Thank You. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!