iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Hat Area

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 15, 2016, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Its that time again in WV. If you walk around my property right now you might want to be wearing a hard hat. Seems to be a very good mast year and between the Black walnuts, butternuts, buckeyes and big chestnut oak acorns you just about take your life in you hands every time you step under a tree.

The wildlife is enjoying them. Well, not the buckeyes so much as apparently they are somewhat toxic. Folks around here used to say one side was not and the squirrels knew which side to eat. My son said he later learned in forestry classes at college the reason only one side was eaten was it was a young squirrel who did not know better and ate half a buckeye before he got sick and quit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

We have a lot of black walnuts overhanging the road to our house. You have to keep your fingers crossed when you drive under them!

red

Especially in a convertible
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Den Socling

Hi @red,
I got my Miata.

We worry a lot about birds. Especially when a flock of pigeons is overhead.

Chuck White

I've got 2 Black Walnut trees in the yard and this year the mast looks to be pretty light!

Probably wouldn't be a peck of nuts between the two!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ppine

It i s amazing to me to see all of the people on TV doing demolition, taking down old barns, and all sorts of things without wearing a brain bucket. It is just plain stupid behavior.
Forester

Den Socling

You never know when you need one. Yesterday, I was in my office leaning over to put a leash on our dog. My wife swung the door open and the edge of that sucker hit me right on top of the noggin'. I don't know what her hurry was but she surely was apologetic. I couldn't be mad. Just hurt.

Ox

My old man woulda said, "There!  Did I knock some sense into ya?"  dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_dizzy
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Our hot weather this summer caused the Pear trees to "cast off" their fruit, and I am not seeing many Pecans.  I also did not see many acorns on the Water Oaks.  The mast for the animals could be short this year.   :-\   Hopefully not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

You guys have me looking at my walnut trees. Around here, walnuts are weeds. You can't pull saplings out of the ground and you can cut them to the ground and they just grow back. And they pop up everywhere. Anyway, yesterday I was looking at a branch and I counted the nuts. It had 6 in an area of about a cubic foot. Looked like a lot of nuts. I just thought about this because I heard them popping under tires as I walked from the house to my shop.

Thank You Sponsors!