iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Logging Helmet System

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, July 09, 2008, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

General manufacture rule is replacement after five years which is what OSHA has to go with.
The liner is one to two years.
Keep in mind this is for a hard hat that is used almost every day at work.
There is a manufactured date on these hats but also keep in mind this isn't a service date.

Service Life

One common misconception is that hard hats have a predetermined service life - that is not the case. Both the 1986 and 1997 ANSI standards address service life under maintenance and care of the hard hat. The standards state that all hard hat components should be inspected daily for signs of dents, cracks, penetration and any damage due to impact, rough treatment, or wear. Although it is not considered a "shelf life", MSA brand hard hats do have "Useful Service Life Guidelines". These guidelines suggest replacing the suspension every 12 months and the hard hat after 5 years of use. Any hard hat that fails the visual inspection should be removed from service until the problem is corrected.

http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf241.htm

thecfarm

I myself would rather replace it a little too early than a little too late.I went years without wearing one at all in the woods.Finally smarted up.Won't mention chaps either.I wear them now.I had no idea there was a date stamped on hard hats.But does make since if an inspector comes to check on them.Keeps every one honest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Good Feller

I like the husky system.  I take off the stupid face shield though.  I don't know about you guys but I can't see crap with that thing down,,, it's more of a liability than a safety feature.... On top of that,,, I STILL get chips in my eyes.  So I just wear regular old safety glasses. 
Good Feller

Kevin

I took a small spring pole in the face several years ago and was happy to have the face shield.
I always have it on and it has become second nature.
I don't always wear safety glasses because of the sweat factor but I wear them when I can.

arojay

Well, I'm kind of a bad boy on this one.  Probably not just this one but I'll stick to the topic.  I have a Peltor system and a Husqvarna system and I wear neither.  I wear a MSA fullbrim, deci-damps and prescription safety glasses with side shields, summer and winter.  I also have a North full brim with foam liner, lineman type, for real cold weather.  The foam stops the wind tunnel effect quite well.  I realize this may not be for everyone, but glasses inside the screen are a disaster in winter and I have a little sensitivity to spruce, old pollen, dust or whatever and my sinuses plug up a little.  Get working and they kind of let go and the urge to spit overwhelms the realization that the screen is down... and cold...I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  I get a new MSA every year, they are cheap and good protection.  I use a knitted wool earband that my Mom made for me when I was a teenager, to keep toasty and a cover for the back of my neck that I cut from an old gortex jacket, to keep snow etc. from falling down the back of my neck.  Loggers head protection for the Yukon winter. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

TexasTimbers

I used the Peltor from Bailey's too. I liked it alot. So did my dog. Here ripped it to shreds. It was scattered all over the front, back, and side of the house and shop. It was a sickening feeling to see the first thing in the morning.

I'm looking again. i hate logging without a helmet. I did this last weekend but bought a hardhat at the hardware store yesterday. Still, I want another regulation logger system. I love that flip-down/flip-up face screen.  I don't use the ear muffs. Might make no sense to y'all but i just cannot feel safe with them over my ears. Crazy I know but I am uncomfortable to the point of being distracted, and also afraid I will not hear the widow maker snap off 50' above my head . . . . like I would have a chance to get away in time with my shot knees. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Mooseherder

Wildlife Cam caught deese 2 critters hindside.  It was bought at the Stihl dealer along with some chaps.  I flip the ear muffs off when I ain't cutting.  I like the front shield.  I don't care for the inside forehead band which gets wet with sweat and gets ikky. ;D
I'd bet Peltor makes these for Stihl eh. ???
I also like the dial in back that lets you fit to every head ever made. :D ;D

redneck

My best helmet is a peltor  with built in  FM work tunes in the ear muffs.  you can listen the the music or talk radio while dodging those old dead  poplar  branches   :o :D
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Jeff

Quote from: ex-Engineer Wannabe on July 10, 2008, 10:20:54 AM
OWW: I've read some complaints (on Bailey's) about the ear muff connections on the Peltor helmets cracking.   What are your thoughts on this?  Does the ear muff system look rugged enough? 

Thats what happened to mine. it not only cracked, it broke right out of the helmet. I now have a husqvarna system.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

Mine used to slip out alot but never cracked.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

My old one actually got put in the trash dumpster last week.  I saw one of the metal picker guys that make the rounds take it out and throw it in his truck Sunday before the trash went.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

zackman1801

Quote from: TexasTimbers on July 31, 2008, 08:58:35 AM
Mine used to slip out alot but never cracked.
ive got peltor muffs attached to my helmet i got free from my father after getting it from his construction company, and i can say it happens to mine all the time. if i set it down to hard, or try to move the muffs around alot they just pop off the helmet and dangle there, then i have to take it off and re seat the muffs. it dosent bother me too much, not enough to go out and spend $20  on a new set.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

breederman

I have the sthil system, this morning I asked my dealer about parts for it as I broke the thingy that snaps one muff against your ear. He wanted to know when I bought it, and because I belong to the forestry forum ;D I had just looked at when it was made, and he told me that mine was boarder line as to getting parts because every 5 or 6 years they change them a little so that they don't stay  in use to long as they can become brittle and crack when something wacks you on the head.   I had heard that some where :D

Together we got this !

Ed_K

I like my husky helmet, try wearing a bandana under the head band, it'll soak up the sweat for a long while.
Ed K

timberfaller390

I had a thought while watching ax men and I didn't think it warranted a new thread so I'll put it here. Do most western fallers wear the full brim aluminum hard hats instead of something like a peltor or was it just for the camera? If so is it just tradition or do they offer some advantage (I wouldn't think so) over a cap style helmet with ear muffs and face shield.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

i would say its a toss up. ive seen alot of pictures and videos of guys wearing the full brimmed helmets atleast in cal, and oregon but up farther north in BC you see more guys wearing the hard hats with face shields and ear muffs. 
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Tombstone

I use the peltor system now, but am really thinking on trying the full brim with ear plugs and safety glasses, it seems it may be lighter and then you wouldnt have to keep messing with the shield? Any comments from the NH, VT, ME guys?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

John Mc

The one thing I like about the face shield is that it's saved me from getting poked or slapped by branches on a number of occasions, and I don't get the sawdust sprayed in my face as much.

I do like to pull off the ear muffs in the summer and use plugs, however. Those muffs make me a lot hotter when it's warm out (they are nice on the winter, though).

It's strange... I've never seen anyone using the full brim around my area of Vermont.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tombstone

Yeah I know what you mean about getting hit in the face. I also get hotter when wearing the muffs?? Who would think that much heat comes from your ears!? Not sure why no one wears the full brim around here, I asked a buddy about getting one and he thought I was kidding..................guess I didnt realize we were in a fashion show in the timber :D Safety and comfort are the idea right? :
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

stonebroke

I wonder if anybody makes a regular hard hat in aluminum? That would be neat.

Stonebroke

thedeeredude

timberfaller390

I just bought one of the skull bucket full brims from bailey's so I'll give it a try and see how I like it since my husky helmet got runned over by my log truck. One thing I know I'll like better is not spitting snoose juice in my face shield because I forgot to flip it up beforehand ::)
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

That'd be a good habit to break...starting with not putting the $#@& in your mouth.... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberfaller390

I know I know I'm getting a little help with that whether I want it or not. My sweetheart says no more snoose. :-[  And thus it starts :D first my snoose next she'll be telling me not to leave the toilet seat up.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ed_K

This last week I've been wearing my earmuffs from the time I open the door of the truck till I get back in. The mosquito's an deer flies are out for a vengeance. I find wearing a bandanna helps in cooling also.
I'm sooo sick of rain  >:( .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!