iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak sucks! (Not as much today)

Started by shelby78, October 07, 2012, 10:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

I usually only quartersaw the oaks that I get for my circle mill. The key I have found is to find 3 or 4 suckers....I mean friends, to help move the logs around. My experience is that they usually don't come back and word gets around so you have to select new "friends" from different areas. I have, however,  come upon logs that we simply could not move. You can have a local sharpening service cut a chain saw chain to 10 degrees which is almost a rip chain at that point. For big logs, quarter them on site and the 4 pieces are much easier to handle. Takes a little while and a good chainsaw but is worth the effort in the long run.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

dboyt

What I tell customers that a log is "like a box of choc'lets-- you never know what's inside until you open it up."  Worst I ever had was a 22" diameter walnut log out of a yard.  No outside indicators that I could see, but it was hollow and had been filled with cement years ago.  That customer bought me a new blade.  I still get fooled, and am willing to take my chances on unlikely logs.  Like Shelbycharger400 says, there are woodworkers that will value boards with defects, especially if it has live edges.

You can get a hook from Norwood that attaches to their winch for turning logs.  I wrap it around the log and lift with the front end loader of my old 8N Ford.  Even 30" dia. logs turn easily with it.  Sort of a poor man's hydraulic turner.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Okrafarmer

Dr. Gene, I'm glad you said that-- I have noticed over the time of my milling that there were certain things I could see and begin to predict, especially for certain species. Now I will be watching even more closely.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Migal

:) I've been thinking it for years . Thanks Dr.Gene! Now I can speak out on subject to other's. With confidence that the wood is under the bark just look at it  8) But if their paying I'm still sawing LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

shelbycharger400

I have seen some bark snaking around the log.   That thing was a pain just to cut down and chunk up.    I have learned to read Eastern red cedar. Still learning the hardwoods.    If I see a log of lumpy / bumpy bark on a pine... Im pickin it up!!!  KNOTTY PINE!

shelbycharger400

Reading the bark.  I too searched for it.  Last weekend I cut down a few red oaks and intentionally cut this log to show the inside view.  Now I do have another log here with about 4 of these .  :-\    slab it, or firewood it  :-\

What to do with this one ??    :D

WDH

Slab it and Postonlt40HD can make an animated bench out of it  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 17, 2012, 09:23:53 PM
Slab it and Postonlt40HD can make an animated bench out of it  :D

You read my mine brother......I'd bench it in a skinny minute!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Us Southern boys know a good thing when we see one  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Wait a minute, wait a minute-- it's not a bench I see popping out of that there thingy, but rather a chainsaw carving of a GIRAFFE!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!