iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would you wear this boot to chainsaw in?

Started by srh.pock, September 22, 2013, 03:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srh.pock

Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong forum, I'm more than happy to repost:

I was recently accepted into the Nevada Conservation Corps and will be receiving my chainsaw certification. I have some really comfy durable boots I would like to use, ( Altama 4157) and  they meet the requirements that have been stated so far, except: i'm not sure if they are compliant with OSHA safety regulations applicable to chainsaw operator foot protection. I'm having trouble nailing that out online, can anyone point me in the right direction to find this info, and let me know if you would wear this boot? Thanks.

Magicman

I do not know regulations, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum srh.pock.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

srh.pock.welcome to the forum. I think and I said I think,the boots have to be kevlar lined or a kevlar "sock" has to be worn to be OSHA approved. Go to Labonville and check out the boots there. Or Bailey's on the left must have them too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clearcut

If you check with OSHA, they say:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/logger/foot_protection.html

QuoteEmployers must assure that each employee wear heavy duty logging boots that are waterproof or water repellant, and cover and provide support to the ankle. If the employee uses a chain saw, the footwear must be constructed with cut-resistant material that will protect against contact with a running chain saw. Calk soled boots are acceptable when they are required for the employee's job. [29 CFR 1910.266(d)(1)(v)]

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) currently tests and labels foot protection which meets minimum cut resistance requirements. (Reference ASTM F1818, Standard Specification for Foot Protection for Chain Saw Users.)

You may want to check with the manufacturer to see if the boots meet the standard. I doubt that they do.

The Corps may have a uniform allowance that covers boots. Check with them.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

srh.pock

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and replies. The boots are just leather, which I doubt is cut-resistant (I'll check though) so I'll check out those Kevlar "socks" and the sponsors to the left. Are they really uncomfortable or do they have any major issues? I've never heard of them and I don't know if that is because they are unpopular or because of my own inexperience. I plan to get some wicked Redwings or something like that after a few paychecks, if I'm placed on a chainsaw team they'll reimburse 25% up to $75, but with the boots I'm seeing that would barely make a dent. Still, safety first, right? Thanks again for the Labonville and Baileys recommendations and the OSHA link!

clearcut

Carbon sequestered upon request.

srh.pock

Thanks again, can't believe I tried to google them instead of looking here first... :-[

BradMarks

I've used the Viking Rubber caulks and liked them for working, once you get used to the weight factor-they are heavy. Also collect mud real well when in those type conditions.  Good arch support, probably the best of any rubber boot I've been around IMO. I use them now only when the snow is deep during elk hunting -warm feet, good traction.  I'm guessing good quality leather caulk boot is also OSHA qualified.  Can't imagine every faller, thinner and such wearing rubber in the hot months.  At least years ago they could pass an inspection, maybe things have changed?

Thank You Sponsors!