iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help me understand wheel alignment & blade tracking

Started by bruce29, June 07, 2011, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

I am finishing up my homemade hydraulic bandmill & ready to start trying to cut with it. I have read alot of info on wheel alignment & blade tracking. Everything I read says to make sure your wheels are coplanar. if you get your wheels perfectly coplanar & your band doesn't track in the correct place then you have to adjust them to track properly. well now the band is tracking good,but your wheels are no longer coplanar because you adjusted them for tracking.It doesn't seem like you are able to accomplish both. I am running 26'' sheaves with the suffolk machinery orange inserts. I had to trim the inserts with a router setup to get rid of high & low spots. I am sure this took some of the crown off. Are belts more consistent as far a concentricity? Looking for info & suggestions. thanks everyone!

bandmiller2

Bruce,you start off with your bandwheels aligned which will change slightly with the tension of the band tight.You then adjust to get the bands tracking true.Installation of those orange belts is critical especially lube.If not lubed properly one section will stretch more than anouther and thin out, leaving high and low spots.I used them for a wile then went back to crowned "V" belts.Try them Bruce their on the wheels already won't  hurt anything. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!