iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there bad oak?

Started by muck, March 17, 2014, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muck

I have a friend that has alot of oak but im not sure what kind it is.
perhaps what is called around here valley oak
is this worth sawing? im brand spanking new to milling.
any thoughts on oak products?
just a hobby sawer that would be making some stuff to sell outta the garage,no big production.
I have two sticks of this wood on deck already but there is a tree that has been down and proped up in the air
on a levee so its easy pickings.
railroad ties?

any thoughts would appreciated.
;D

Dodgy Loner

I have seen some amazing furniture made from valley oak, so I assume it is generally of good quality, but I'm afraid that's all I can say. Some of out California sawyers will know, I'm sure. Welcome!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tule peak timber

quercus lobata, white  oak family, tasty stuff. I truck it in from your area when it is  available . Old timers used it for wine barrels .
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SLawyer Dave

Too bad you weren't around last year, I was trying to give away several valley oak logs that I ended up cutting for firewood.  I'm up here in Gridley, and mostly cut oak for firewood.  Valley Oak can make exceptional furniture.  It is not necessarily known for having a straight grain for long planks, but it can be very beautiful when properly finished.  Some people also call them "swamp" or "water" oaks, to refer to their proclivity for holding a lot of water in the wood.  They tend to shed a lot of limbs, because they grow horizontally trying to get sun, and then get too heavy to support the limbs.  However, one of the reasons the wood makes such beautiful furniture is because these limbs and forks, tend to grow extra "spring" or "tension" wood, at these joints in an effort to reinforce their strength.  This spring wood is really a lot of knotty, dense wood that can give the wood a similar appearance to "burl wood". 

Besides not having a straight grain, the other problem with valley oaks is that they tend to have a lot of pith or areas of dry rot in them due to losing a lot of limbs.  However, if you get into a good tree, the wood can be exceptional.  You can check out the most famous Valley Oak ever,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooker_Oak

muck

thanks alot.
ill get pics tomorrow and make sure before i pursue.
thanks for the welcome!

Ianab

What I can see it's a type of white oak, probably very nice timber. Suggestion is to quarter saw it, makes for more stable boards as they dry. Flat sawn it's likely to cup more than most woods.

Probably a good species to salvage and sell to local woodworkers. You don't worry too much about the actual grade of the boards, just sell some as a "project bundle" of log run boards? "Local" and "Salvage" are selling points in this situation.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

muck

giant splinter

Valley oak is popular with wooden boat builders as knees and stems, it is a little heavier than a lot of oaks and has natural curves with dense grain that is  an advantage for the wooden boat builder.
roll with it

thecfarm

From what you posted you are not sure of the species? Your state forestry dept or the local extension should have a website to help identify the tree. A leaf will really help out. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Pretty much all oaks are usable just some are better than others.  I know little of your variety but I'd go ahead and cut it, that's how we all learn. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

muck

Heres some pics of my morning.
Weather was great mid 60's and a stiff breeze coming off the delta.
the tree I am working on has been propped up on a levy for 12 months.
I started at the second "Y" and have been working my down the log.
the first two sticks that formed the Y were 14" D
this one I am cutting today is below the Y and 22" D
I am going to try and get the other side of the first Y tomorrow. It is up off the gound barly and Im workingwith a HM126
so that is a good size log for me.
so what do you think, Vally Oak?

this is the levee im working on.

muck

having trouble with pics
going to 

have to string them in, sorry

muck

well, stay tuned I guess I need to figure this picloader out..

muck

ok so here are what I can get. thanks again to all who reply.

I think its time for a piece of plywood in that bed!

golddredger

Hey Muck,
Those trees look like cottonwood to me. Which guys call "river Oak" But it is cotton wood for sure and not oak. You will find local firewood sellers cutting cotton wood up and taking it into SF and selling it to city folk and telling them it is "river Oak" and charging them top dollar per cord. It will still mill ok but those are cottonwood for sure. It should have a pretty bad odor when you cut it. That is also a dead give away. Also when the season turns the trees will lose the little puffs of cotton that float around. Sorry man not oak trees. :-[  But still millable and will make some good lumber.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

muck

cottonwood! boo.
I think I just found my trailer wood...lol
thanks!

Wellmud

muck, back in this part of the country you could sell that bed for enough to buy a trailer, somewhere between a 69-72 chevy?
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Magicman

Welcome muck.  I was also thinking that a guy with a new sawmill should not have to depend upon plywood anyway.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muck

yes Welmud its a 71 3/4ton
I paid more for the winch then the trailer..
thanks Magicman I agree.

golddredger

Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

muck

Thanks Golddredger, I found that one too.
after a quick lesson on oak tree ID im going back today to see if I can find one.
the Farmer has 400 acres with acouple good size patches of trees.
pics to follow.

muck

OK! now were cutting oak!

Dropped two small trees and got this little bit.
amazing how much water is in this oak. it literally poored out of the hinge cut on the second one.
its about a 20 min ride out on farm roads and when I finnally made the levee gate it was still drippen.(see pic)

Moving Right Along!

golddredger

LOL yep we cut some Live Oaks down last summer and the water was pouring out the end. Could have filled a glass up with it for a drink! 8)
Kinda crazy. But that is why these Oaks fill up with water and then break all the time. Just nuts. Here in Chico by Chico state college there is giant oaks I am talking 6ft trunks. Big trees. A branch broke off and killed a student just a few months back. They get filled with water to make it through summer and they are heavy. I have milled a bunch of it. Just sticker with 3/4" stickers. Let dry slow in the shade for 1+ years. so long as they are under 2" thick. They will not twist up much if they dry somewhat slow via air drying. But make darn sure they are not in direct sunlight or they will split and twist to high hell. They will be fire wood. Paint the ends of the logs as well. You must paint them or they will dry to fast and crack a bunch/ When they do they split full length.  That crotch log on the left side of the trailer will make a very nice table.

muck

Thanks Golddredge
I'll do all that for sure. (The stupid cottonwood even got painted..lol)

Im hopeing to get some nice quartersawn peices for tabletops.

the pic sure does look like a crotch piece but its 4 separte logs. but now that you say that theres alot of great table stuff out there to be found.

hardtailjohn

The only "bad" oak I've ever heard of is "poison oak"! :D   That's all  nice looking stuff, and I'd be lovin' it if I had some up here!!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!