iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBQ Rules

Started by Raider Bill, May 12, 2009, 08:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claybraker

Dreamland is a chain. Or they tried to be at one time.  BBQ doesn't scale well. The location of the Whistle Stop is mildly entertaining but Long Pork doesn't appeal to me. My current favorite store bought is Southern Soul on SSI. It's being swarmed by Yankees right now. 

btulloh

I don't wanna start a fight here, but I've never seen real barbecue outside of NC, SC, Southside VA, Northern GA.  Other than that, it's something else, masquerading.  Unless there's a place that says "Real Actual No-kidding North Carolina BBQ" and it's owned by a transplant.

Not meaning to disparage the other meat preparations out there - some are real tasty.  Just not BBQ.  

No offense meant to anyone who hasn't had real BBQ.   :D :D :D

(I better duck, I guess. . .  ;) ;)  I hear objects being hurled.)
HM126

Magicman

I have no argument about who's BBQ is the best, 'cause mine is what I had and it was good.

While the ribs were doing their thing...

I was skewering shrimp, some bacon wrapped and some nekkid.

Everything turned out quite well.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

:D :D  True enough.  Proximity means everything.

Looks good, MM.
HM126

WDH

The ribs I fixed today were melt in your mouth good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

EOTE

Quote from: btulloh on May 25, 2020, 07:26:12 PM
I don't wanna start a fight here, but I've never seen real barbecue outside of NC, SC, Southside VA, Northern GA.  Other than that, it's something else, masquerading.  Unless there's a place that says "Real Actual No-kidding North Carolina BBQ" and it's owned by a transplant.

Not meaning to disparage the other meat preparations out there - some are real tasty.  Just not BBQ.  

No offense meant to anyone who hasn't had real BBQ.   :D :D :D

(I better duck, I guess. . .  ;) ;)  I hear objects being hurled.)
You can be forgiven for not venturing to Texas for true southern bbq. ;D ;D ;D  Then again, I haven't had the opportunity to try bbq in your area either.  Hmmm, maybe we can start an exchange program. 8)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Magicman

Speaking of Texas BBQ, this has to be the biggest BBQ snobs in Texas:  Kreuz Market  Yup, we went there once but never again.  They are very rude about the fact that there is no BBQ sauce there, dry rub only.  It's their way or no way, plus it wasn't that outstanding anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: EOTE on May 25, 2020, 10:29:24 PMYou can be forgiven for not venturing to Texas for true southern bbq.   Then again, I haven't had the opportunity to try bbq in your area either.  Hmmm, maybe we can start an exchange program

Ha.  Yeah, it's all about local.  More about semantics really, when it comes to "barbecue".  It means something different everywhere.  When I lived in California, "barbecue" meant anything cooked on the grill.  Even if it was compressed bean sprouts with tofu topping.  

Actually EOTE, I've had the pleasure of eating a lot of really good food in Texas.  Eastern part - Dallas and Houston mostly.  Never been to west Texas.  For the most part, I've had really good food in every city and state I've ever been to.  I just stay away from crabcakes in Iowa and ribeyes in Maine.  And then there's always the possibility of bad food anywhere you go as well.  Not hard to find.  Local guidance will usually take of that problem though.

People in North Carolina love to argue about barbecue, and there's really no compromise possible.  I do favor NC style BBQ, but I can at least appreciate some of the other versions.  I just call it "meat".  :D

I guess you can argue about gumbo too, and I get that.  I got my gumbo chops in Louisiana and I understand.  I can't say that I've had any better cajun food than in Lafayette, but I'm sure there are some other perspectives on that.  I never really warmed up to red boudin, but other than that, it's all  good.

Moral of the story:  Good food is good. :D No matter where you are.  But be careful what you call "barbecue" around here.

HM126

WDH

First time I ordered BBQ in Texas, I asked for the pulled pork.  The waitress said, "Sir, we don't serve pork here."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

As a native of eastern NC I'm a fan of that style.  For anyone that lives in close to NC this is a wonderful way to plot your way across the state and visit epicurean goodness.

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqtrail.html

For what it is worth I am not a fan of B's in Greenville.  Cooked on charcoal..blah.   Think they traded in the name as a tourist trap.

Grady's is the absolute real deal, great story, great bbq.  I don't care for the cornbread though, a bit meh.  Probably my favorite BBQ in NC.

Stephensons..very good, my #2.

I have not been to Bums.  Might make a trip down this summer just to eat there.

Great bbq should have great brunswick stew and hushpuppies in mine opinion

Always want to hear of new places.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

If you ever have the pleasure of visiting pineywoods or Planman1954:  Andrews BBQ in Marion, LA.

Building A Greenhouse in General Board

Raider Bill

Quote from: Claybraker on May 25, 2020, 07:08:23 PM
Dreamland is a chain. Or they tried to be at one time.  BBQ doesn't scale well. The location of the Whistle Stop is mildly entertaining but Long Pork doesn't appeal to me. My current favorite store bought is Southern Soul on SSI. It's being swarmed by Yankees right now.
Long Pork?
Never appealed to me either...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on May 25, 2020, 08:11:15 PM
I have no argument about who's BBQ is the best, 'cause mine is what I had and it was good.

While the ribs were doing their thing...

I was skewering shrimp, some bacon wrapped and some nekkid.

Everything turned out quite well.  food6
You can cook for me anytime if it looks like that! ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on May 26, 2020, 07:38:43 AM
If you ever have the pleasure of visiting pineywoods or Planman1954:  Andrews BBQ in Marion, LA.

Building A Greenhouse in General Board
Yup,Andrews is the real deal. Family owned and operated for several generations. He makes his own sauce, buys meat from a local butcher, and cooks over genuine hickory wood. The facility is a hole-in-the-wall portable building on the edge of town. But he is well known all over Louisiana and Arkansas
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

I might sound odd but my lady fair has never cooked anything on a grill in her life .Her deceased husband and one of my best friends did it all and he was good at it .Well she fell into it because I'm a pretty good grill man myself . 
Since the weather is warming up it won't be too long for beer can chicken,T bone steaks , ribs with some meat on them .Already had weenies over the fire done on a pitchfork that has only been used for that purpose for at least the last 35-40 years .

As I type in the fridge are two mighty nice looking Angus rib eyes .They should be a $14.99 a pound .Rained yesterday postponed it to today if it doesn't rain again .

woodybutcher

So... this will open a can of worms. Just what does define BBQ? Good bad or better. Also a good friend of mine who is the local chief deputy to the sherriff says it is a misdeamor to grill without beer. Better add that to your list of rules!

Thank You Sponsors!