iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band swaps

Started by bandmiller2, July 06, 2015, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Do any of you folks switch from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" bands and back on a regular basis. A friend has given me a dozen run til dull 1 1/4" bands that will fit my mill that is now setup for 1 1/2". I'am running crowned tight belts on 19" vee sheves. What have you found involved in the switch.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kbeitz

I've tried both and seen no difference ... But I'm just a newbe...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Never switched, thought about it, and was told by the techs it would work, the main thing I tried to avoid was the blade guide clearance issue from the .055's to the .045-.042's  this is the only issue I see, but never done it so maybe it's a lot of hot air.  I figure blades are blades, never hurts to have some good ones on the ready,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I used to switch between my (then) usual 1-1/4" x 10° blades and my only-for-dry-spruce 1-1/2" x 7° blades. I would shift the blade guide rollers back about 1/8" with the wider blades (which was a pain).

I used the original rollers for both sizes of blade. Didn't have any problems even though the wider blades were sticking out an extra 1/4" on the rollers..

A few years ago I switched to 1-1/2" x 10° blades as my main blade. At the same time I replaced the original blade guide rollers with special rollers intended for 1-1/2" blades. You could not use these rollers for 1-1/4" blades because they would instantly remove the set on the inside teeth.

I don't think you can get away from having to move the rollers back with the wider blades. They will naturally try to centre themselves on the band wheels and you'll have the backs of the blades rubbing on the flanges of the rollers.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dustyhat

The roller guides would be my concern. but you could get some extras to swap back and forth.

Nomad

Moving the roller guides, yes.  I had to tweak the bandwheel tracking a hair, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

Now that I think of it I get long life from my 1 1/2" bands and sharpen them until they get to about 1 1/4". At 1 1/4" I start having problems which I believe is caused by removal of the induction hardened section of the band teeth. Even at 1 1/4" they seem to run well on the mill. Only way is to try them, may be a wile but I will let all of you know. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ox

I've used both but not swapping back and forth willy-nilly as that would be impossible to do with any kind of ease.  The guides would need to be adjusted front and back for the different width blades.  On my mill you're talking about an hour of messing around to go from a 1 1/4" to a 1 1/2" blade.  It's not worth it in my opinion.  Also, you can use rollers for 1 1/4" blades on a 1 1/2" blade but not the other way around.   If I have a tough log I just crank up the tension another 600-800 lbs and it helps a lot.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandsawmill14

i have a timberking b 20 and do swap back and forth frequently i dont make any changes to setup or guides and cannot see any problems  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!