iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting SYP, got bugs in them, will they leave?

Started by HD, October 16, 2011, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD

Im cutting pine logs with pine borers(grubs with tusks)in some of them. will the bugs leave the lumber after i cut it?
I read somewhere if it has no bark on it they wont get in it? the lumber is going to be air dried.
Do i need to spray the lumber?

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

HD

It will be repair siding for my barn. Im worried once it is put on then then worms will go to older stuff or do they eat old wood?

rbarshaw

If they look like white grubs, the ones I see here mostly eat the soft parts under the bark but do bore into the wood that is green or wet. Once the wood is dry they will lose interest in it and die off or leave. It's best to cut it to size as soon as possible, especially in the summer, sticker stack it, and dry it, a fan blowing on it will help.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

HD

When i cut the logs into lumber i see there holes and some of them inside. So where do they go? Would they go to a living pine tree close by?

rbarshaw

I have never seen any attack a living tree. They can be heard chewing in the dead logs tho', you don't have to listen hard, you can hear them from several yards away!
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

HD

Your right. I heard them and after cutting into the logs and seeing the damage, i hate um.

WDH

These white grubs only get in the tree once it is dying or dead, but still green with moisture.  As the wood dries, they will not survive.  They will not attack other dried lumber or green living trees.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Just slab down below the worms (holes).  That lumber will be OK.  Sticker stack it, dry it, and use it.

You do not want to use any of the SYP log that is soft or has turned an orange color.  It is rotten.

Also if the wood has shrunk away and leave raised growth rings, do not bother sawing it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Groo

We stacked up a whole bunch of cedar, tamarack and spruce to cut up in the summer. Those grubs turned the Spruce and the Tamarack into swiss cheese. I could hear them crunching away whenever the saw wasn't running. They went right through the logs. I heard they won't go after dry wood, so your best bet is to cut and sticker it ASAP.

Thank You Sponsors!