iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak trees dying

Started by fishfighter, May 13, 2016, 03:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 30, 2016, 07:31:21 PM
Big show on TV today telling about this problem all over the world.
They are blaming it on global warming.

It was on the home box channel.

seems to me any thing that goes wrong in our world is blamed on global warming. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

esteadle

Someone else already mentioned it, but I think you have Oak Wilt.

http://oakwilt.com/suddenoakdeath.html

"Oak wilt is an aggressive fungus disease caused by Ceratocystis fagacearum. It is one of the most serious diseases in the Eastern United States, killing thousands of oak trees in forests, woodlots, and home landscapes. Susceptible hosts include most oaks in the red oak group and Texas live oak. Symptoms include wilting and discoloration of the foliage, premature leaf drop, and rapid death of the tree within days or weeks of the first symptoms. Trees become infected with oak wilt in two ways: through connections between root systems of adjacent trees, and through insects that carry the fungus to other trees that have been wounded.

Similarities: Oak wilt can also kill trees very quickly, especially if infection begins through root grafts. Differences: The oak wilt pathogen does not cause cankers on the stems, and no bleeding is associated with this disease. Dark staining may be evident under the bark of trees with oak wilt, but there are no conspicuous zone lines. Oak wilt typically causes red oak leaves to turn brown around the edges while the veins remain green. Leaves are rapidly shed as the tree dies. Conversely, in live oak with the sudden oak death pathogen, the veins first turn yellow and eventually turn brown. Leaves are often retained on the tree after it dies."

If you have other oaks that you want to save you might think about getting a ditch witch or a light track-hoe in there, and trenching around them to disconnect their roots from each other and stop the spread that way. It can still spread by insects, but if they are otherwise healthy, that should be less of a problem.

fishfighter

Found another close by. It is just starting. The leaves are just starting to turn brown. This is spreading like wild fire. >:( I will start taking them out next week before it spreads anymore.

Kbeitz

Quote from: rjwoelk on July 01, 2016, 12:30:54 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on June 30, 2016, 07:31:21 PM
Big show on TV today telling about this problem all over the world.
They are blaming it on global warming.

It was on the home box channel.

seems to me any thing that goes wrong in our world is blamed on global warming. :D

They explained it saying the winters are not getting cold enough to keep the
bugs in check. Warm winters= more bugs.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

We did have a very mild winter. And yes, I did find a couple oaks in the middle of the woods that are dying too!. >:( I will call my parish agent Tuesday to let him know that this is spreading.

OneWithWood

If it is oak wilt just taking out the infected trees will not stop it.  You need to run a Zor plow around the infected trees to isolate those roots from the surrounding trees.  Major pain in the patootie for sure but the only method I know of that works. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

In my experience that doesn't work either. Only slows it down.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

Once I fell them, I will be digging up the root balls and burn them off.

fishfighter

Got the first one dug up and fell. Bugs everywhere. Little black small ones and I have no idea what they are. Will be spraying the heck out of them.

WDH

Sounds like ambrosia beetles.  They will leave as soon as you saw the lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Could be those. :(

Anyway, fell another this morning. So DanG hot. Got everything piled up to burn. I still have one more close by, so I will wait to burn everything till I fell that sucker.

Got a nice log out the one today. The log was 32+' before the first branches. Small end is 16".

And just for MM, I took out one of his trees that he loves.

:D

Got to clear that fence line for power lines to be ran.

tnaz

You going to mail it to Mr MM. :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!