iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stinkbugs

Started by doctorb, September 30, 2013, 08:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

The fall "indoor" migration of these imported pests has begun again.  Side of my house was covered with them on a beautiful, cool Sunday afternoon.  We've worked hard to tighten up our chimneys, doors, windows and vents to decrease the numbers that make it inside to "hibernate" for the winter.  Anybody else hate these things as much as I do?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

I think them are the same thing that eats my squash leaves? If they are the same I hate them too. I have never any on my house,but have seen them in my garden. One year I was cutting the leaves off and I would fill a big paper grocery bag of leaves of them. They would just about cover a squash leaf. Than into the OWB they would go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Around here we have mostly boxelder bugs and those Asian beetles (look like ladybugs) that migrate in by the millions.  My dad found a spray that works good around the outside of the house and has some residual, if I remember right I think it's food grade type of stuff for gardens/dairy barns ands such, I'll have to ask him what it is, should work on them too I'd think.

beenthere

For the days (gone by now) of the Asian beetle, I found Ortho's Home Defense to be quite effective.

DoctorB
Can you post a pic of the "stinkbug" ?  Am wondering if the same thing we call boxelder bug.

Also we've been getting the Nut Weevil with the real long proboscis.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-4530/EPP-7079web.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Stink bugs are stinky. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

doctorb

Here's a link for general info and appearance of the stinkbug.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

It's an introduced (Allentown PA, 1998) asian insect that can flatten itself to incredibly thin dimensions, making it able to slip through any crack in the siding, flashing, doors, and windows.  They do not sting, and can be easily caught and handled.  Yes, they do stink, especially when handled or squished.  If you vaccum them up, the air exhaust of the vaccum is dreadful with the smell.  They are spreading and may soon visit a neighborhood near you!

Their natural wintering habitat is between the bark and wood of a dead tree, so my woodpile is full of them.  There is some payback enjoyment seeing 20 or 30 of these things "asleep" on the wood as I throw the log into the OWB.  They are attracted to fruits and other smells, light colors, and light.  None of the current pesticides used on everything else we are used to seem to have any effect.  The best treatment is to drop them into soapy water!  Anyway, they are a real PIA.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ron Wenrich

Air conditioner covers are magnets for them.  Lavender is a decent repellent.  You can get some cheap lavender scented cleaning liquid that is supposed to lessen the numbers.

I haven't seen the numbers that I have in the past.  It seems we had those hellish outbreaks a few years ago, but now they're more of an occasional but common bug.  I've seen more crickets inside the house than stinkbugs.  Another thing missing this year are those huge swarms of ladybugs we used to get.

Populations explode, then collapse.  I saw it with the gypsy moth.  Gypsy moth is now more of a nuisance.  I believe stinkbugs will be the same.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Ayup,them are the squash leaves eaters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackfoot griz

Doc,

You might want to check out a product called "Tempo".  It comes in a super concentrate.  No smell or nasty residue. The stuff is safe enough to be used in commercial kitchens. The results are impressive. 

The stuff works well on our "western" stink bugs! 

sandhills

That's it Blackfoot, I couldn't remember the name and forgot to ask dad today, it's worked on about everything around here.  Doc, they look like the stink bugs (at least what I call them) around here, the Tempo gets ours as well.

gspren

Around here their favorite hiding spot seems to be in my work gloves  >:( I have burnt a few pair of gloves over the past years. If you put on a glove containing stink bugs plan on numerous and vigorous hand washings.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mesquite buckeye

I would refer you to my previous post. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Stinkbugs are the stinky hippies of the insect world. smiley_airfreshener smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

WmFritz

Never seen one them ugly looking bugs like DocB's got. But, I was framing a roof one time and I smacked a box elder bug with my 22 oz Estwing. Learned real quick to close my mouth tighter when I do that next time!   :-X.  YUCK!!!   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SLawyer Dave

Before this year, I had never had a problem with Stink Bugs, but my garden got torn up by them this summer.  Especially the squash.  Didn't try any pesticides, as I do an organic garden.  According to research I did, weed control is one of the ways to protect your plants.  I generally just work around weeds, but will try to do some ground cover next year hoping to control both the weeds and stink bugs. 

thecfarm

SLawyer Dave,the weed thing is a bunch nothing. Or in my garden anyways. I use newspaper and hay or grass clippings. No weeds in my squash. Maybe the stink bugs like my weed control.  :D

Tom L

I saw a stink bug trap, you take a soda bottle, cut the top off, a third of the way down the bottle. inside the bottom you put a small led light. then invert the top and put it back in the bottom . supposed to work if you put it in your attic and leave the small led light on inside the bottle, they go in and can't get out of the trap

thecfarm

I need that in my garden. But I would need about 10-2 litter bottles. They would be full each morning.

Den Socling

I've got a brother-in-law that lives between Frederick and DC. Stinkbugs are a real problem for him. All over the house and in the pool. Last night I saw a show about killer bees. There is another thread around here about invasive species but I'll say it here. There is nothing worse than killer bees. An idiot brought in 17 queens - I think it was 17. They have multiplied to spread out more than 6000 miles and cover more that 6 million acres. You really can't complain about fumigation, sterilization and other efforts to contain pest.

mesquite buckeye

Please be clear. It was a government idiot. I believe it was a USAID project in Brazil. They were trying to breed for honey bees that would thrive in the tropics. Then the labor idiot pulled the queen excluders out of  the hives which allowed the bees to swarm and escape.

There is a long list of government introductions that turned out to be a big problem.

EAB came into Michigan on an Air Force transport plane.

1woodguy

about a week or so ago we were sitting on the porch and there was a bunch of stink bugs only they were green but looked like the brownish one
   Window was down on pick up and next morning as I was driving I found they sure liked my neck and inside my shirt
Every timeI tried to brush them off they sprayed I finally started crushing them
Told the guys I was working with the smell was my new cologne

Noticed past two days its little black beetles

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

beenthere

QuoteEAB came into Michigan on an Air Force transport plane.

Not what I heard. Came in through a MI nursery importing from the Pac NW.

But can get a lot of guesses as to where. Fact is, it is here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

About all I get is the reliable house fly for the winter, but around March I will see the odd Asian lady bug emerge, not much of them in the dead of winter. I do get crickets, but in the basement. They are around the wood I suspect, but they don't seem to bother noth'n and usually all die off before mid winter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Check this out.

http://stopthebeetle.info/where-is-it/

Unfortunately, all the USDA websites are shut down to punish the innocent.

The first documented EAB infestation is in the county next to the Air Force base in SE Michigan. I learned about it from my cousin who used to live near the original release site. The EAB probably came in from Japan. Only takes one mated female to get the job done. Jets go fast, get there before the bugs die. Look out for more problem bugs and diseases in your future.

SwampDonkey

It's been going on ever since intercontinental trade.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!