iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cant hook advice

Started by caveman, August 18, 2011, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Wow, those are beautiful pecan logs!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

All 1X8's flat sawn.  The good thing is that it is a freshly felled tree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

i have a hard time believing that there can be anything good of a pecan tree!

well, i guess it does have pretty lumber....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Pecan is really good at one thing.  Maybe even the very best.

Dropping limbs :)

There are some constants and truths in life like gravity, time is inexorable, and pecan limbs fall.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Pecan trees are not my friend at my tree farm.  I kill hundreds each year along with Sweetgums and Honey Locust.  Crows and other birds drop pecans everywhere and the saplings know something about surviving.

Yes, large trees make pretty lumber.  I have build various furniture with it including clocks, bedroom suites, and tables.  I once destroyed a ¾ completed Grandfather clock that decided to start moving.  The thing was trying to take itself apart, so I helped it.  Never again.

A good clear old growth limbless log can be relatively stable.  We will see how this one behaves.  I'm tempted to quarter and rift saw it.  Maybe not.  If I flat saw it, he will get grade, quarter, and rift.  We will see.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You might think about sawing some wide boards from the center 6" and then turn up the two (top and bottom) cants to modify q-saw them.  I love the vertical grain of q-sawn pecan.

Magicman

Yup, that is the method that I was thinking about.  I'll make the final decision when she is up on the sawmill.  I've got to get rid of that pith area.

AvT

I kinda like the wooden cant hook I bought a little while before I got the mill. It just feels nice. I remember the guys at woodmizer trying to get me to buy the logrite but I wasn't interested at all as I hadn't heard of logrite at that time.  If I ever consider one in the future I'm gonna hang two 200 lb guys on it and if it bends at all I won't buy it.  I am one who always is looking for a snipe.  The logrite looks like it was engineered to have an eight foot pipe slid over it.  I never had much mercy for tools.  If it broke I'd try another one.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Thank You Sponsors!