iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hours on a new mill

Started by red pine, August 21, 2011, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red pine

I am to pick up a new portable mill soon. How many hours could one expect on the mill too be considered new. I have this feeling this small dealership may have been using the mill{s} for some demos but don't know to what extent until I see the readings on pickup. Would 10 hours be reasonable?   Redpine :o 

Slingshot

If it has been used as a demo it is not a new mill. Demo units are sold at a discount.
How many 'new' units might they have sold by demonstating that one.
  That is my opinion.

pnyberg

My WM LT40HG28 has 6 hours on it when it was delivered to me.  It was discounted as a demo unit, but came with the full warranty.

--Peter
No longer milling

Bibbyman

You should probably pay extra for a mill that's been ran a few hours.  That just means they have had a chance to break it in some and re-adjust anything that wore in the first few hours.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Hello,
If you order a new mill we do not run the mill, we do test the mill before you come to pick it up and recieve your training. We saw one log. Most times we find no issues. When I do the training with a new customer I want to focus on safety, maintenance and operation not fixing some little thing that might of been missed during assembly.
We do not test the small mills that are packed for shipping.
If the mill is here at our location they usually get a few hours on them. Most times less than 10 hours. We do work out compensation for a demo mill.
I like to run the mill before a customer comes to pick it up and even feel better if it has a few hours. It gives me a chance to make sure it is 100%. One thing charge evey battery when the mill comes in with a 2 amp charger. If the battery was on a shelf or they ran the mill with out the engine running it may be down on charge.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

red pine

Thanks all for replying,  8). Looking forward to the mill as the logs I cut are starting to get worms under the bark. Don't have water capacity to wet logs on regular basis. Redpine

Thank You Sponsors!