iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What'd you get done this past summer?

Started by mike_van, November 19, 2007, 10:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

The "good" weathers winding down here in New England, time to think back on what projects I got done - After syrup season ended April 1 or so, I did up about 14 full cord of firewood, my house, moms, the syrup operation & my shop. I built a new woodshed for the syrup operation next [pic in my gallery]  The projects got tougher then - I had two wet lots, I built a new catchbasin, dug 400' of trench with my 3 ph backhoe, perf pipe & 3/4 stone [triaxle full] in them. Hauled all the dirt I'd dug out away & filled in some low spots with it. In the winter, the water would freeze every night, flow the next day, etc. Spring water DOES freeze if its cold enough! I haven't worked that hard in a long, long time. That wet, swampy muck dirt is some heavy.  There's water running now, where it's supposed to. I had a second story window rot out, side trim & sill 20 years old. Replaced it with an Anderson. Worked about 75 hours at our local school, big window project there, I did all the "prep" work [took blinds down, etc] and all the finish stuff  [trim, paint, some insulation, etc] In between all this stuff, I sawed about 75 - 100 logs at the mill & kept up with the lawns at 2 houses.  Built a new brick chimney on my shop [pics in the crash archives]  Did a few small brush cutting/clearing jobs, trying to keep the wild rose from taking over.  Last two weeks spent doing leaves.  There's a few welding jobs to do up in the shop, before I move to the nice warm basement for some wood projects.  Boy, it's great to be retired! :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Captain

Just ask Mrs Captain, nearly nothing on here honey-do list.   ::)

Captain (from the doghouse)

Tony

What, summer's over ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

sawdust

Summer?
sledding was bad for a while...

Actually we had a beautiful summer.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

bull

Cleared 2 acres of new land, grew 3 acres of vegetables, rehabed old sawmill shed into a farm stand, joined the local farmers maket.... Bagged firewood, cleaned up a bunch of old junk in the shop,can finally find most everything. sold 4500yards of bark mulch and 100 yards of compost.
planted a bunch of new flowers for the wife.... pretty busy summer, I think I forgot soeme stuff , will ad more later if needed.. suffering from CRS....
I remember we put a new chimney on the shop, Pencil chimney 6" clay flue in prefab 12 inch chimney block, have only milled about 4000 bfd of lumber, the leg is still not up to heavy work yet !! Don't likr to start a good sized job that I have to stop half way thru due to pain !!! still tryin

Furby

scsmith42

I started this year off with over 100 unfinished projects - it was driving me nuts.  Some of them were two hour projects, some of them were two week projects, and a couple were one month projects, but they were all projects that I'd either started, bought materials for, or had planned on completing.

Yesterday I crossed the 79th one off the list, and by this Wednesday I should have number 80 completed.  Hopefully I'll hit close to 90 by the end of the year.

It's been a good year.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

I started with only 6 unfinished projects, but now have 12.  I'm gainin' on ya Scott! ;D

I think the only thing I completed was spalting some Sycamore logs.  Might have even overdone a couple of'em. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Coon

I did a whole lot of work for someone else and never managed to get much of my own stuff looked at let alone done.  Guess thats what happens when ya need money and have to work for a living. :D :D  Started on one of my favorite things on the to do list today-- go whitetail huntin'... 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dave Shepard

DanG, you sure are getting a lot of milage out of those spalting logs lately. :D :D That's more than I've gotten done, unless you count all the old logs I've been turning into compost. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Spalting is hard work.  I'm plumb tuckered out from it. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

I bought my house three and a half years ago, and ever since I moved in I was talking about tearing that old masonite siding off and replacing it with board and batten.  Finally got around to it this summer, and replaced the 35 year old windows while I was at it  :)  That's actually how I spent my two weeks of vacation from work  ::)  Only took me two months to finish, unless you count the interior casework...then I'm still working on it for the next few years  :D

Burlkraft

I had a huge list this spring and it's even huger now........

I didn't get nuthin' done this summer at all   ::)   ::)   ::)

I didn't even eat the minimum required number of Roxburgers  :'(  :'(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Hey, you SURVIVED, Steve!  Dat was a biggie! :) :) :)

sawguy21

:D :D :D I got exhausted just reading mike's and bull's posts. Some of you guys sound like my dad. He spent almost every summer renovating and adding on to the old house for twelve years. Then he built the house he really wanted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

I was gonna do something this summer.....but then I hadta cleanup the campsite to impress the new daughter-in-law. Then I hadta clear 1/4 mile trail to get to where I want my mill and clear an acre for the mill (got a stick in the rad and hadta fix that). That all took a summer of Sundays, then it snowed and I hadta start the old snowmobile.  :)

metalspinner

I replaced all the windows in the house.  And of course trimmed them out.  Still haven't put a finish on the trimwork.

Built a playhouse for the kids.  They are not getting any younger.

Built a coffee table and entertainment center for my wife.
Collected and cut several thousand BF of urban logs.  Well, I payed someone else to do the cutting.  But I stacked it. 8) ::)

Many odds and ends that I didn't finish last year.  Some base moulding around the house.  A little bit of crown moulding.

Gutted and remodeled two of the bathrooms in the house.

Layed tile throughout the basement.  Then painted the basement.  I'm bringing Teenswinger about 1,000 BF tomorrow to mill intoT&G flooring for the remainder of the basement.  Hope to have that done by the end of the year.

Most Sunday afternoons are spent with the boys and boy scouts.  We went on several campouts.

Oh,yeah. I spalted some sycamore, too. ;D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

I have about 20 projects going too,but they are not 2-3 hours ones.More like 2-3 years.Just about the only thing I did was get the outdoor furnace in.I did get the cornor of the new piece cut off so we can see the wildlife that comes out in the lower end of our field.The 500 foot driveway is all re-graveled.I got most of the dead,dieing trees cleaned out from across the garage. There is always next year.I say that every year.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

I have one BIG project, that's been in the works for over four years - my house. 

In about ten days, we'll be moving in.

After that, my project list will get HUGE - all the things I WANT to do, like get some milling done, firewood, wood shed, new shop, landscaping, a garden, chicken coop, fence in some land for a steer or two, build a trailer, a kiln, do some woodworking.....

And I have to fit all THAT in between the time spend with the wife, kids and my Scout troop.

Oh yeah, I guess I have a job too.  Almost forgot.   ;D :D

jjmk98k

I got me a tan thanks to Uncle Sam..

Spent my summer in Iraq.... and I'd do it all again!
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

olyman

wel--its seems like--for every two jobs i get done---three more appear!!!!!  i retired from a tractor factory------ was talking to friend on phone last night---he said--you aint retired--and wont ever be!!!!!!  i said i will so--when im dead and buried--he said---no--youll just walk back up out the grave-----hmmmmmmm   :D :D :D

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!