iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Galls

Started by Klunker, December 08, 2017, 03:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klunker

can anyone educate me on what this, other than a gall, I know that much.
This is a Bitternut Hickory, I have another one about 30 ft from this one with the same thing

here is a close up of the galls.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Klunker

SO after reading your post I'm under the impression that the tree with the galls ended up dying, is that correct?
If so how many years after the galls showed up did the tree last?

I don't really care if I loose 2 bitternut hickorys.
Just interested in what was causing it and other info about it.

thecfarm

the galls have been there for years. Yes,it is dead.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

I have at least 3 bitternut hickories that have those galls and have had them for years and they had leaves this year.
Them galls sure make noise when you run over them with the lawn mower.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

coxy

the pig nut is the same thing around here millions of them on the trees big and small trees they seem to be living and produce nuts 

JimTwoSticks

Sadly, it had been a while since I logged in and checked out the forum! 6 years isn't that long right?....
Anyway, the galls you all have mentioned on hickory (primarily bitternut) and oak (although found less frequently than on BH) are caused by a fungus in the genus Phomopsis. I'm not completely sold on that cause but that's a research subject for another day/week/year. 
Branches may eventually die if they are supporting multiple galls but I've seen trees with hundreds still kicking.

Thank You Sponsors!