iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My simple homemade bandsaw mill

Started by mrector, July 06, 2013, 07:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrector

This is a few pictures of my bandmill I made for grand total of $960. Uses 7hp h.f. motor
For power. I have a 10hp briggs that will replace it over the winter. Uses 18.75" pulley sheaves for wheels and 5/8" v belts for tires. 1-1/4 " 304 stainless band wheel drive shafts.
It is totally portable with removable 2000lb axle, 4 bolts-10minutes. Centrifugal clutch for drive and a repurposed honda civic idler pulley for belt tension. Setworks(haha) is a machined inch increment aluminum bar I machined and a movable bracket with copper wire as a pointer. Head lifting is a series of 5 ball bearing pulleys I made with a 40-1 worm gear winch, lifting/lowering is done with my dewalt cordless impact. Frame/track is 4x4x3/8" angle iron. Pretty heavy duty.. I also angled my cut angle (like the boardwalks are)
. Gaurds are in process of being made by me. Blade tension is done by a simple threaded rod pushing against the movable side to "where it stops fluttering under load".
Enjoy, Mikey

Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

mrector

Here is a YouTube video. Also check out my other videos, some interesting/funny stuff especially the splitting the red oak...
Mikey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKP2fJOpBas&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Homemade logging arch

thecfarm

By the looks of the fourth picture,it does a mighty fine job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I'd say pretty much the same thing as my Hudson, but larger and a third of the price. Great job.

Allan

drobertson

Looks good! nice finish on the boards, any guards in the future?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

Looks great, get your guards finished ;)
Too many irons in the fire

jueston

its always interesting when you get used to seeing this big expensive machines to see a simple one, it reminds you how simple a bandmill really can be.

it looks like it gets the job done... great work 8)

Hilltop366

fishpharmer

Mikey, good job on the mill and lumber.  Keep on tinkering with the mill until you get it exactly how you want it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mad murdock

Great job on the mill. Let the chips fly 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

francismilker

Good looking mill!  Welcome to the FF.  Try to get some safety guards on pretty quick if you can.  A broken band can fling further than any rock you've ever seen when it comes flying off.  Better to have it wrapped up in a guard than around your neck!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Happycamper

Great job on the mill and lots of satisfaction doing it I'm sure.
Necessity being the mother of invention has saved you several thousands of dollars. Congratulations.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Hilltop366

Seems like you have the power vs blade speed figured out well, some home built mills on youtube that have quite a bit more power than yours don't seem to cut any faster.

(I do know that there can be a lot of variables)

Chuck White

You've got a very functional mill there Mikey!

Great job!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WmFritz

Nice mill Mikey  smiley_thumbsup    Any plans on adding blade guides?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mrector

Quote from: WmFritz on July 06, 2013, 11:45:49 PM
Nice mill Mikey  smiley_thumbsup    Any plans on adding blade guides?

Thanks! There is already blade guides installed. I made them from 2 ball bearings each
one on top of blade and one behind. Cant beleieve i forgot to take a pic of those...haha.
Homemade logging arch

lowpolyjoe

The Herbman

I am down at the bottom of the hill from you at Lowgap.  Am in the process of building me a mill and maybe I should come look at your's.

mrector

Quote from: The Herbman on July 07, 2013, 11:32:28 AM
I am down at the bottom of the hill from you at Lowgap.  Am in the process of building me a mill and maybe I should come look at your's.
Come on up anytime. I can at least show you what NOT to do. Haha

Homemade logging arch

customsawyer

Great looking mill. Do you have plans to add any kind of a blade lube system?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mrector

Quote from: customsawyer on July 07, 2013, 02:37:08 PM
Great looking mill. Do you have plans to add any kind of a blade lube system?

I have that as well. Its the oil jug hanging from up top, has a inline valve for adjusting flow
... kinda crude hut it was cheap and effective. I just run water, but thinking bout adding cascade like magic man suggests in other posts.
Homemade logging arch

bandmiller2

Good job Mikey.When you build your guards I'd make the pieces in front of the wheels out of plywood.Its just a matter of time before you catch the back of the band giging back and pull it off the wheels.The wood will stop the band quick unharmed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I have a gravity lube with 2 shut offs. One to adjust the flow and one to turn off and on. This way when i get the flow just right,I don't have to touch it again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello mrector, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

It looks like you are well on the way to making a very usable sawmill for producing personal lumber.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

valley ranch

Nice job, looked at your video, runs real smooth.

Thank You Sponsors!