iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks and more ticks

Started by thecfarm, May 28, 2017, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Wife had 4 on her. I found one the other night. Went for a ride,with the dog,walked her,and got 2 ticks on me,from two diffeant places.
With the 5 we have got here,that is more than all of the last 2 years combined.  ??? 
We did not even have them here 6-7 years ago.
Not a good thing to have around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

they are really bad here  too never had them in the yard till this year so Iv been cutting the grass real short to try and keep them out even the old wood ticks are bad my dogs have had a lot on them the last few weeks

Ox

Growing up 25 years ago I never saw a tick and I was outside all the time around cricks and rivers and woods and such.  Not a one.  Now they're all over us and the animals.  I'm thinking since the winters haven't been as cold and long they're not getting killed back or something like that.  Not good.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Andries

We've  had ticks here for a long time - all part of working or playing outdoors.
What's 'new' bad news, is the Lyme disease that these critters can carry.
Central Canada is one of the hotspots.
So, it's important to find em and send them down the drain at the end of every day.
The upside - I may smell better with that one a day shower.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

red

The Lone Star Tick is causing big problems on the east coast.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Stoneyacrefarm

I walked the dogs around our pond last Saturday.
We had 23 ticks on us.
Never seen this many ever before.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

breederman

It was only a few years ago that i saw my first tick. Now if i go outside without treated clothes i get bit. Pulled the 5th or 6th one this year off me yesterday!
Together we got this !

coxy

they don't seem to like diesel fuel I tried it in the bottom of my pants and sprayed my shoes also

timberking

You just need some fire ants

Ox

That's good to know, coxy.  I have to say if it's not too hot and I'm able to wear my bib overalls I don't get as many as when I'm wearing carpenter jeans with suspenders.  Not sure why.  My bibs I have to roll up the bottoms, maybe that acts like a buffer.

I heard guinea hens will keep their territory bare of ticks and other critters cause they turn their heads and strip the individual grass blades between their beaks.  I wouldn't know - only guinea birds I've ever seen were cooped up and made a hellacious racket when you opened the door.

When we had free range chickens around the ticks were definitely less numerous.  They must get them too.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coxy

we also had way less bug with our free range chicks to next year ill have more

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen any here, never have really. Only one time I saw a couple wood ticks a few years back, and that was that. Wood ticks was bad down in NS I know.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DDW_OR

near lake Ida in Minnesota back in 2010
at the end of a 2 hour walk i had 32

‎Sunday, ‎July ‎04, ‎2010
this micro Tick

"let the machines do the work"

dgdrls

The mild winters are promoting their spread,
for work I have a one-piece cover-all that is treated with Permethrin
and a little Picardin on the skin
seems to do a good job keeping them away.

dirty buggers, 

D

4x4American

Maybe I will keep the diesel in my lubemizer then..my dog and I will stink like diesel at the end of the day because of the lubemizer and the wind carrying the diesel, but maybe it's not such a bad thing as I haven't found any ticks yet this year on either of us. 
Boy, back in my day..

Crusarius

The future is scary.

More powerful pesticides are being used. The pests are becoming immune to them.

Humans are more and more germaphobic. Using more anti bacterial everything.

Antibiotics are being prescribed for everything. The things the antibiotics are supposed to kill are also becoming immune.

I am seeing the future being very bad for humans.

SwampDonkey

Getting hard to even get new vaccines or curatives. No money in it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

We live in ten acres of woods but we have so many critters running around at our place they must pick up all the ticks. I haven't seen any here at home for a number of years. Seven cats out side and I have't seen any of them eather. We have a ton of raccoons and ground hogs so maybe they have them all.
Bill

dirtmotor

here in arkasas we always have a good tick crop if it wasn't for them and the poison ivy we couldn't claim the farm credit  :D :D

Briankinley2004

Been bad here too. Got one embedded in my back this am. I decided to bathe instead of shower tonight. The ole testiculo was itching and guess what. Seed tick embedded. Glad my children are grown

Woodcutter_Mo

Ticks are really bad around here right now too. A couple days ago I parked my 4 wheeler in the shade under a pine tree. A couple hours later I went back to the 4 wheeler and seen a couple crawling on the fender. I got to looking more and found around 50 just on the 4 wheeler  :o. I think they may have been falling out of the pine tree  ???
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

coxy

my 10 year old had one in her neck good thing my wife has glasses  cause I never seen that tiny thing  >:(   they gave her liquid to take and told us the sun wont bother her and she was allowed to have ice cream  ???  >:( >:( >:(  I really like ice cream  ;D I asked the doc if I could stop taking my doxy in pill form and take the liquid  she told me to suck it up  ::) :D wasn't bad as we haven't had any sun in weeks but now its going to be in the 80s now that I'm taking it  they have a cedar spray that is supposed to be the best thing for the ticks anyone using/heard of it 

drobertson

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on June 07, 2017, 11:37:38 PM
Ticks are really bad around here right now too. A couple days ago I parked my 4 wheeler in the shade under a pine tree. A couple hours later I went back to the 4 wheeler and seen a couple crawling on the fender. I got to looking more and found around 50 just on the 4 wheeler  :o. I think they may have been falling out of the pine tree  ???

I'm pretty sure they do fall from trees,  we had a large pine in grandpa's yard growing up, and even with all the chickens, guineas, peacocks, and the rest, they seemed to always fall from that ole tree,  that said I read somewhere that warm winters don't mean a worse tick season to follow, but in either case, they are out in force here as well,  the new illness that comes from some of them mainly up north seems to be a bad recipe, I think reports are that infections can occur within 15 min?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sprucebunny

I'm getting kind of paranoid about ticks.
Looking at my bunny friends doesn't help. This guy kept hopping towards me until he was only 6-7 feet away. Maybe he wanted help as he had to stop and scratch about every other hop.

But I saw a moose this spring that didn't seem to have any so that's good.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

The moose will most often have mites that give them a tough time.

DelawhereJoe

Bring back DDT and you will not have problems with ticks. Why didn't you have a problem with ticks in the 50's, 60's, 70's...DDT killed them off. No more mass spraying and the little buggers come back in force. Look up "ghost moose" some of them will have 70,000+ ticks on them, killing 70%+ of moose calfs in Maine.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

SwampDonkey

The, so called 'winter tick', is actually what we call the moose mite (Dermacentor albipictus) on the moose here.  They probably should be called ticks, rather then mites, since mites are microscopic mostly. The 'winter tick' does not attack humans.

Stoneyacrefarm

I have been carrying around a therma cell the last few weeks to keep the flies and Mosquitos at bay while working on my fencing project.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I have not had a tick on me in weeks.
I've been walking thru the tall grass running electric fence and haven't had one on me.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on July 05, 2017, 10:07:45 AM
I have been carrying around a therma cell the last few weeks to keep the flies and Mosquitos at bay while working on my fencing project.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I have not had a tick on me in weeks.
I've been walking thru the tall grass running electric fence and haven't had one on me.

is this what you use?
https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellents/portable-repellers/mr450-repeller
"let the machines do the work"

Greyhound

Long pants tucked in and long sleeves go a long way.  With the newer breathable fabrics, this isn't completely insane in summer. 
Check your body every day. 
Permethrin is a wonderful product.  It's based on a natural insect poison found in chrysanthemums and engineered to last longer.  Spray it on clothes and it lasts >20 washings.  A little goes a long way.  Plain old DEET works great too, but you have to reply.  Either of these is better for the environment than diesel fuel.
The best tick control we have found is free-ranging chickens.  We live an area with lots of ticks and LOTS of them are infected with Lyme and other tick-born diseases.  Once we got a small flock of chickens, we almost never get ticks on us.

Stoneyacrefarm

DDW
Yes.
That is what I have.
Works great for Mosquitos and black flies.
Like I said earlier about the ticks.
Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

We have close to 200 free range chickens too!!
Lots of fox and coyote problems go with them.   :D :D :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

two tired

Put sulphur in cuff of pants seems to discourage ticks from getting on you
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Bruno of NH

I had never seen a tick untill 6 years ago .
I pull 6 or 8 off the dog every day and some off me . It's bad this year I seen a snapping turtle with tics all over it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stoneyacrefarm

We were recommended these new flea and tick collars by our local vet.
Since putting them on the dogs we haven't seen a tick on them in a couple weeks.
The collars are made by Seresto.
They work like a charm.  :)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

ESFted

Anybody have a recipe for a DIY spray for the yard and area surrounding house and garage?  I've heard that Dawn dish soap and vinegar mixed with water will work, but haven't seen any specific formulas.  My son has been laid up with Lyme for the last couple of weeks. Need to establish a defensible perimeter safe for kids/dogs.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

florida

We were at Gettysburg Sunday and were warned that the ticks were terrible this year. The guy who told me this stopped talking, reached over and got one off my shirt collar. I'm sure we have them in Florida but they aren't a problem usually.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

nativewolf

Quote from: ESFted on July 06, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
Anybody have a recipe for a DIY spray for the yard and area surrounding house and garage?  I've heard that Dawn dish soap and vinegar mixed with water will work, but haven't seen any specific formulas.  My son has been laid up with Lyme for the last couple of weeks. Need to establish a defensible perimeter safe for kids/dogs.

You need to not use a "do it yourself" solution.  They will not work.  The know working solutions used by the US military and others are:
DEET, prevents by repelling but requires daily application and is best on clothing, it will keep them away.
Pyrethrin - recommended.  Can be sprayed on the yard, may be good for 2-4 months, best if sprayed on clothing kids wear in the yard, spray per recommendation of product, usually you spray it and let it dry overnight and then it does it's thing.  Pyrethrin is the chemical you are looking for but is the only one. 

For the dogs it is possible to put on a good collar such as Seresto by Bayer.  Lasts 8 months and they will have no fleas or ticks.  However, don't let the kids sleep with the dog (no dogs in bed at night) as the chemicals in the collar are not for us humans. 

You have ticks because of deer/rabbits/mice.  Remove those as you can and you will greatly reduce/eliminate the life cycle of the ticks.  Read up on tick life cycles and you will understand how to do this. 
Liking Walnut

Briankinley2004

I sprayed around my mill and yard with Demon pesticide from Tractor Supply. I used the two pack per gallon strength. A little pricey but seems to have worked. Also killed all he millipedes and spiders my wife hates

plantman

I think you might mean "permethrin". That's the chemical insecticide perhaps derived from pyrethrin . https://www.hunker.com/12224525/pyrethrin-vs-permethrin

Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

You need to not use a "do it yourself" solution.  They will not work.  The know working solutions used by the US military and others are:
DEET, prevents by repelling but requires daily application and is best on clothing, it will keep them away.
Pyrethrin - recommended.  Can be sprayed on the yard, may be good for 2-4 months, best if sprayed on clothing kids wear in the yard, spray per recommendation of product, usually you spray it and let it dry overnight and then it does it's thing.  Pyrethrin is the chemical you are looking for but is the only one. 

For the dogs it is possible to put on a good collar such as Seresto by Bayer.  Lasts 8 months and they will have no fleas or ticks.  However, don't let the kids sleep with the dog (no dogs in bed at night) as the chemicals in the collar are not for us humans. 

You have ticks because of deer/rabbits/mice.  Remove those as you can and you will greatly reduce/eliminate the life cycle of the ticks.  Read up on tick life cycles and you will understand how to do this.

nativewolf

Quote from: plantman on July 09, 2017, 10:28:08 PM
I think you might mean "permethrin". That's the chemical insecticide perhaps derived from pyrethrin . https://www.hunker.com/12224525/pyrethrin-vs-permethrin

Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

However it should be spelled, yes, that's what I mean.  That's effective and safe and long lasting.  Triple bonus and that's hard to get.  With ticks...well you need to be careful. 
Liking Walnut

plantman

It's good that everyone is talking about this subject because everyone needs to be aware that ticks carry a number of serious illnesses.
But here's something most people don't know. Mice carry the ticks. The reason mice carry them is because mice don't clean the ticks off like a cat would clean it's fur. A single mouse could have 50 ticks on it.  So get rid of the mice.
Deer ticks are the really really small ticks. Wood ticks are larger. I know the deer ticks carry Lyme but I'm not sure if the wood ticks carry also.
I found a great trick for getting rid of mice. Take a spackle bucket and fill halfway with water, then float sunflower seeds on the surface and place the bucket next to something that allows the mice to reach the bucket edge. The mice (and chipmunks) will jump in to get the seed and drown. Works really well.
Permethrin is a relatively safe insecticide labeled for spraying clothing and farm animals. I suppose it would be ok for pets as well. It's sold at Site One Landscape Supply and Tractor Supply. Pretty inexpensive. Site One also sells cedar oil insecticide which is more expensive but effective.
I've got a relative with Lyme disease so I try to learn as much as possible. What I hear is that these ticks are exploding in population and you don't have to be a backwoodsman to get ticks on you so stay safe and stay aware.

Chuck White

We got a 3-pack of spray cans labeled REPEL at Walmart last year!

REPEL contains PERMETHRIN, the prime ingredient to ward off ticks!

I just spray it around my pants cuffs whenever I'm headed for the woods, even the woods just behind my backyard!

Must work because I haven't had a tick in 2 years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

plantman is right on the bucket idea. I work in a hardware store and we sell grain. Mice we can control,them chipmucks are hard to get rid of. We use a 5 gallon bucket with a 2x4 for a ramp. Works wonderful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

I attract the chipmonks with sunflower seed for a few days then put out the Farmers Bucket Mousetrap . I then feed the chipmunk to the lazy cats .

Magicman

I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plantman

I watched a number of videos on tick removal. Most suggest using a sharp pointed tweezer to grab the tick as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight out with a gentle but persuasive pulling motion. I also saw one where they put a few drop of peppermint oil on the tick and in a few moments the tick let go and tried to get away. They say that you don't want to aggravate the tick and cause it to secrete more toxin into you.
I thought of another way that might work. Spray the tick with Freeze Off bolt removal spray ! I'm not sure about that , just an idea.

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2017, 05:29:00 PM

I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.

coxy

the wart freeze stuff may work also 

plantman

Yep and butane lighter fluid . I think doctors use liquid nitrogen.

plantman

If you buy permethrin at a landscape supply store or perhaps Tractor Supply it's very inexpensive in a concentrate form , cheap enough to spray your whole yard once a month. Good for chinch bugs in the lawn also !

dgdrls

Little devils have elevated the outcome,
You absolutely have to be prepared before
and check after you're outside.   

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Saratoga-County-resident-with-Powassan-virus-dies-11283838.php

I was out earlier this week for work and the
Fed' inspectors are starting to use
leg gaiters with repellent as an extra layer of protection.
I have a one piece coverall treated with permethrin

be careful and take care.

D

red

Yes ticks are very bad this year !

plantman

Talked with a friend today who suggested that after pulling a tick it's helpful to wash the area with hydrogen peroxide. Also suggested colloidal silver to fight infection and turmeric to fight inflammation if you have lyme. I believe all these treatments have a good track record of helping. Of course antibiotics are still necessary.

Woodcutter_Mo

I've been starting to find the little "seed" ticks here and there. Other than that, the ticks haven't been too bad lately after the earlier bad round we had around here. I've been avoiding the woods some lately so that may be why I haven't seen as many though.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

runmca

I got bit twice so far this year. The last one was a deer tick in the nymph stage, very tiny. After three weeks got the bulls-eye rash, no other symptoms. Just finished antibiotics last week. I've been trail running for many years and never got bit until this year. I've read there may be a correlation between Japanese barberry and the increase in ticks. There is so much barberry around the trails I frequent, I'm wondering if that could be why.

LakeAngler

I have used tick tubes with reasonable success. Has anyone else tried tick tubes?

You can purchase tick tubes or they are pretty easy to make for the do it yourself-er with paper towel rolls, cotton balls and Permethrin. You soak the cotton balls in the Permethrin and then stuff the cotton balls in the paper towel rolls. Then spread the paper towel rolls around the perimeter of your property 10 to 20 feet apart. Mice find the cotton balls and haul them back to their nest. Nests are a common place for ticks to find an easy meal. Once the ticks cross paths with the Permethrin they die. I dropped a number of tubes around my property in the spring. I haven't come across a tick all year so far.

One important note - Read the safety label on the Permethrin container. Permethrin can be toxic for cats.

thecfarm

I have not had a tick on me for a while now. I roam around on 170 acres,so hard to control that many acres.

Woodcutter_Mo

The little seed ticks are out in full force here now. I got probably over a hundred on me when I was checking fence over the weekend. Here's one that bit me on the thumb this morning. Not sure if I picked it up in the yard or what.  >:(

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

plantman

Wow is that small ! Do you feel anything when this ticks bite ? Or do you just feel then when you brush them off ?

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on August 21, 2017, 10:54:58 AM
The little seed ticks are out in full force here now. I got probably over a hundred on me when I was checking fence over the weekend. Here's one that bit me on the thumb this morning. Not sure if I picked it up in the yard or what.  >:(

coxy

the only time i know there biting me is when i get a itch that do go away

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: plantman on August 26, 2017, 04:09:06 PM
Wow is that small ! Do you feel anything when this ticks bite ? Or do you just feel then when you brush them off ?

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on August 21, 2017, 10:54:58 AM

Sometimes they do pack a pretty good punch when they bite similar to a mosquito, and other times don't notice anything until after they have been removed. The one in the pic stung pretty good when it bit then itched like crazy for a little while afterwards. Comparable to other full size ticks.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Chuck White

Well, the tick finally got me!

Found the "typical bullseye" on the back of my right calf day before yesterday and have now been diagnosed with LYME DISEASE and start my antibiotic (Doxycycline Monohydrate) this afternoon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

Chuck - did you notice any symptoms before you went to the doc's or is this a preemptive strike on the critters inside you?

Chuck White

Never saw the tick!

It was just tender and felt more like a burn, so put some Neosporin and a bandaid on it for 1 1/2 days, and when I took the bandaid off, I could see the "bullseye", so I went to the ER (about 8:00 PM).

Diagnosed and released about 11:30 PM!   :snowball:

Picked up my new antibiotics about 2 hours ago and will start on them around 6:00 this evening.  One tablet every 12 hours for 21 days! 

coxy

chuck do not go in the sun it will burn you up even a few min will fry you I tried every thing that had anything to do with sun screen and it never worked  its not like a sun burn you get blisters like a fire burn  they also told me I was not allowed to have anything dairy cause it would coat the stomach and void the pill :-\

Don P

I've got about a week to go on the doxy and I'll second the sunburn warning, my nose is about peeled off and I'm doing a good Rudolph the reindeer impression. I've been slathering up with sunscreen and it does seem to help. The main blessing has been the overcast days we've been having lately.

I take probiotics 6 hrs offset to the antibiotics to keep the good bacteria up. If you take them together the antibiotic just kills the probiotic and can interfere with the absorption of the anti-b. Yogurt, sauerkraut, kombucha, vinegar with the mother... fermented foods also help your gut bacteria. Always reinforce yourself when taking anti-b's and don't take them lightly, they are destroying things you need that your mamma gave you.

Chuck White

Thanks for the Warnings, guys!

runmca

Don P - good advice on the probiotics. My doctor also recommended them to offset any stomach issues. I never had Kombucha before I had Lyme Disease. I actually like the stuff and have made it part of my diet.

nativewolf

Quote from: coxy on September 05, 2017, 07:03:36 PM
chuck do not go in the sun it will burn you up even a few min will fry you I tried every thing that had anything to do with sun screen and it never worked  its not like a sun burn you get blisters like a fire burn  they also told me I was not allowed to have anything dairy cause it would coat the stomach and void the pill :-\

Got to keep all covered up.  Long sleeves, big hat with brim, gloves on hands.  Sunscreen the face and neck. 
Liking Walnut

plantman

Ok, you're not likely to hear this from other people with Lyme but my cousin has it and he originally took antibiotics 5 years ago. The docs said he was cured but then over the past 5 years he experienced bad joint pain. He didn't figure out it was Lyme until he happened to be stung by a sea robin fish while deep sea fishing. After the fish stung him in the thumb he sucked on it which caused him to get the fish poison in his mouth which then caused his mouth to become inflamed which led him to see a doctor. But here's the crazy thing. After getting poisoned by the fish his joint pain cleared up, or at least got a lot better. He believes that the fish poison triggered his immune system to kick in and that helped with the Lyme.
So next he goes to the doctor and the doc puts him on antibiotics not realizing that his mouth was inflamed from the fish poison so it really didn't help with that problem but the antibiotics also helped with his joint pain. That's when they figured out that he had Lyme disease.
Now he took these antibiotics for almost a year but hasn't been cured of the Lyme. So now he's stinging himself with sea robin fish and finds that they help with the joint pain caused by the Lyme.
Crazy but true. I'm telling you this because anyone out there seeing a Lyme disease specialist should tell his doctor this story and see what the doctor has to say about it. My cousin is doing this on his own but I wish he was being advised by a doctor. Please let me know if you find a doctor who can contribute something to this alternative treatment method.

coxy

plantman  you are never cured of lyme  there is no cure for it you jus keep levels between say a-d

Kbeitz

I was told by many people the the poison from bee stings will cure arthritis.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

One thing to remember... which might be hard, if diagnosed with alzheimers or dementia, get a lyme test done. Happens more often than we think, Kris Kristofferson for one.

plantman

Quote from: Don P on September 10, 2017, 08:25:44 AM
One thing to remember... which might be hard, if diagnosed with alzheimers or dementia, get a lyme test done. Happens more often than we think, Kris Kristofferson for one.

As I stated my cousin is getting significant relief using the poison from the sea robin fish. I've watched a few videos of people using bee stings to treat MS and Lyme with good results but it doesn't look fun.
My cousin's wife is a nurse and she has a friend who at 48 years old was suffering from dementia. It turns out that she had lyme disease.
He also had a neighbor whose wife had a couple spells where her heart rate dropped and she passed out. They found out that it was also Lyme . It seems that Lyme can interfere with the signal from your brain to your heart telling it how fast to beat. I also watch a video of a doctor who they thought needed a heart transplant. He got the transplant and they later figured out that it was Lyme disease so the transplant was not necessary. Unbelieveable. Be careful out there folks. This Lyme is no joke.

Chuck White

All this tick stuff has me wondering!   ::)   :P

What in nature will kill off the vast majority of ticks?

I'm thinking it would take a spell of cold (real cold) weather, without any snow cover!

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Don P

Yup, and we didn't have a winter last year. Guinea hens love ticks. I'm debating whether to get a batch of those noisemakers next spring and just let them range. But I don't think I got this tick at my place.

coxy

if I did that it would take thousands of them to control the ticks here

plantman

Actually last winter might have been a good winter to kill bugs because we had periods when it got really warm and then suddenly got real cold. I think that might have worked to kill them.
Aside from that, I think the government might be looking for a natural pathogen like a fungus or something that would sterilize the bugs and prevent them from reproducing. Got to ask a entomologist. I don't much like bugs. I just step on them !

petefrom bearswamp

My son and I hunted, well sort of, as the weather was hot and conditions dry and noisy, in the Adirondacks last weekend.
Saturday I had 4 Deer Ticks on my clothes and gun and mark had one
Sunday I didnt have any but Mark had 4, one imbedded.
took it out with my Swiss army tweezers.
I had one embedded 2 yrs ago while in the same area.
The NY legislature is supposedly contemplating action on tick control measures.
Back in the 90s there was a vaccine which I got but the 2 companies that made it stopped producing it as it wasnt cost effective to produce.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

I pulled a deer tic off me this week... I keep watchen for the circle... None so far.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

you don't need  a circle or bulls eye  trust me       go to the doc

Chuck White

True or not, but I've been told by my Doc that you won't get Lyme Disease unless a tick has been embedded for 48 hours!

I'm very hesitant to believe that!

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and I know the tick wasn't embedded 48 hours!

Infact, I never new he was there until he was gone and there was a bullseye, and I witnessed 103° fever and other flu-like symptoms for 2 days before I got in to see the Doc!  The tick left it's mark on my right lower leg and I know I would have noticed it during my nightly shower! 

plantman

From anecdotal  reports I think you should be fine with a course of antibiotics . There is one thing that might help and can't hurt. I customer of mine had a bad case of lyme and after antibiotics went to a holistic physician who gave her IV glutathione injections that helped tremendously. So perhaps you do the antibiotic first and then the glutathione IV afterwards. Supposedly eating bone soup is good for the immune system as well. And taking probiotics with the antibiotics.

Quote from: Chuck White on October 29, 2017, 08:59:25 AM
True or not, but I've been told by my Doc that you won't get Lyme Disease unless a tick has been embedded for 48 hours!

I'm very hesitant to believe that!

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and I know the tick wasn't embedded 48 hours!

Infact, I never new he was there until he was gone and there was a bullseye, and I witnessed 103° fever and other flu-like symptoms for 2 days before I got in to see the Doc!  The tick left it's mark on my right lower leg and I know I would have noticed it during my nightly shower!

coxy

my one doc told me to get some kind of a blot test

dirtmotor

Here we go again ! Been finding ticks on animals all winter , but found first one on me yesterday . Every year I hope they all die off in the winter , so much for hoping :(

Crusarius

already removed 1 from the cat. he sure does like to bring new friends home.

Don P

Lyme caught up with me last week, 2 more weeks on doxy. Finally started feeling human again yesterday and got a little bit done. The rash is beginning to fade so I'm winning. I hate ticks. This one was tiny and right in the sock line. Luckily it's early season and not bright out, last time on doxy was midsummer and even my knuckles blistered.

Old Greenhorn

It wasn't very long ago that having lyme with your corona was a good thing. (sorry...too soon?)
 My last bout with Lyme was 2 years ago, hoping to dodge the bullet for a little while longer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

hacknchop

I must be too far north, I have never had a tick on me that I know of anyway but I'm definitely going to try to be more observant , I will at least start looking for them on myself and my pets.
Don P I am glad you are feeling somewhat better and hoping you have a swift and complete recovery. 
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

We're hoping that with so little snow in this area all Winter the tick population might have frozen and died off!

Like I said, "We're hoping"!

zinc oxide

Thank You Sponsors!