iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a reasonable # stickers in a day

Started by hunz, December 21, 2014, 11:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: 4x4American on December 21, 2014, 10:58:57 PM
Hey Jim, was that stake sharpener a good buy?

I think so, I've had it for many years, on the second engine now. First one blew up unexpectedly one day.

What's nice about it is that you can do stakes up to 2" square. I got it after I got a second customer who wanted 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 8' tree stakes. These are stakes for hold freshly planted new tree saplings until the roots take hold.

Works great on all sizes of stock:

Here is a picture of the tree stakes on my trailer on the way to a delivery.

I used to cut the ends with a chop saw but when I changed to a round pointer machine the time to produce stakes went way down per bundle.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I've used an electric version of that machine. If you have a bin with blanks on one side, and another bin you can toss the finished stake into, it averages out to a stake every 7 seconds.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Well i got a sawmill, and i got standing hardwood, But i dont saw any tomato stakes! ;D My wife usually plants around 100 tomato plants each year, and for tomato stakes we use re-bar !!!!! ;D It comes into the scrapyard pretty regular brand new cut off pieces 4' and 5' long ,with the ripples on it it holds the string in place ,you can use it for ever and it never rots. The best thing is if you dont want it any more you can sell it back to the scrapyard. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Holmes

That is a good way to add iron to the tomatoes.  :D
Think like a farmer.

4x4American

Thanks for the input.  I bet it goes 3x as fast as chopsaw!  What's your favorite stake wood?
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Hunz,

I can see where this would be good use for scrap wood I have been throwing away but that looks awful time consuming. I haven't sawed any yet but would think I'd be sawing them twice the length then cut in half (8 ft logs then cut stakes in half for 2- 4' stakes, 10' longs then cut stakes in half for 2- 5's) and I am sure the round points work good but why not just cut in half at sharp angle to make your point?

I had to make a tire comb (tire buster) for security on our gate overseas once and the contractor was trying to sharpen each point and I showed him just cut the rebar used for the spikes at a 45 degree angle then weld to the main bar. That worked fine puncturing tires when tested. I don't see why wouldn't drive up okay.

Good luck on your project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!