iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks and tick born illness is bad this year.

Started by Modat22, May 07, 2009, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I found white jogging pants work well for finding the little buggers, though the white pants turn kinda dirty after working in the woods and field.
remember man that thy are dust.

Kcwoodbutcher

Had to go out in the neighbors woodlot to look at some oaks for sawing. The ground cover was very dense. So far I've picked off 15 and I haven't taken a shower yet, expect I'll find more. Can't wait until I get to cut them next week. Them little buggers can attach themselves in some pretty personal places. Thing is, this is not uncommon around here I usually pick off one or two everyday.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

mike_van

I've had both the Lyme disease & the ehrlichiosis that ticks carry here. Neither one is much fun. Fever, headaches, joint paint so bad you feel like you hit by a truck.  Just like Jeff said, I can remember when I was younger there were no ticks here. Now, it's crawling with them. Bad winters don't help. Maybe napalm? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tam-i-am

the removal tool I mentioned is 

http://www.tickinfo.com/protickremedy.htm     and I found it on Reddog's link.

It works great, so much better than tweezers.  The tick doesn't break and it doesn't yank or tear your skin.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

routestep

I'm going back out to the brothers wood lot with him tomorrow. He bought a Tyvek disposable suit to put on will he is trimming trees. Helps him see the ticks better. I'm going to put out some cotton balls laced with insecticide and then start working on a hen house for him. He wants to get some guinea hens. 

Will guineas go far from there roost?  Will they go into the woods in search of insects (read ticks).

baronthered

The guineas usually have an area they roam in. A neighbor has some and they roost in a cedar tre in his yard. I usually buy three or four tubes of the surplus critter repellent it's worked good for me in my travels around the country and the few times I've been abroad.
Life's short make fun of it!

ARKANSAWYER

Good crop of ticks this year.  I get several every day.  I pulled over a hundard off of LBJ and Mollie last night.  Most nights I get 25 or better off each dog.  They have front line but it takes a few days to kill the ticks.  Most of the time if I am going into the woods I spary Deet 40 on me to help ward off the ticks.  Just a fact of life here. 
  I have had Spotted fever and Lyme.  Skeeters are really bad this year as well.  They used to not be so bad here but every year they are getting worst.  I think I got West Nyle two years ago.  They lost the blood test on the way to Little Rock but the Doc pumped me full of meds and I got better in about 4 days.
  The lonestar ticks are the worst this year.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!