iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log sleds for vegetation management?

Started by REGOR, June 07, 2012, 06:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGOR

Hi:

I handle the vegetation management program for one of the districts in the county parks. I have piles of material on hillsides and away from the road that needs to be transported to the chipper (Our burn window has closed so the chipping I must do). I use the CalFire inmate fire crews. Currently they use tarps for loading material and dragging the tarp to the chipper. Sometimes they move the material piece by piece. Tarps don't last long so I'm thinking about a metal type log sled that the crews could load material on and then drag it to the chipper via ropes and back to the pile with the ropes. I guess very heavy plastic or rubber lined truck bed liner like would do too.

ANy thoughts?

Thanks!

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
How far are needing to move them?

When does the next burn window open, and can you wait for it?

Sounds expensive, and might consider letting it decay on the spot and in the pile?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

REGOR

Material is not more than 50 feet away. Burn window won't open up until winter (Southern California).  Had hoped to get most of these piles burned this spring, but I have 111 left and under pressure to get them all chipped this year.

cleargrain

Howdy,

We use the sled below for logs to skid them out of the woods and preserve the roadbed, but I would imagine a lighter version could easily work for hauling brush with a couple guys on the ropes.  This one is 1/4 inch steel plate.  I've seen people use old car hoods for a similar purpose.

-Scott

AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

grassfed

Old pickup truck hoods turned upside down work well for that kind of thing. I like the 70s-80s chevy hoods...
Mike

lumberjack48

Get some pulleys and air craft cable, rig up a small hand yarder
Use the cloths line pulley system like they use on the high-rise  apartments.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cypressstump

How about some fashion of an ATV Wagon? Try a Google search on them, this one is fairly extravagant, but the idea may help.

But there again, if they are inmates, they may try and use this as an escape vechicle... ;D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

beenthere

Continue to use the tarps, but get a better quality. And wrap up the debris in a bundle that can be carried out by one person or two (on a pole). Save on the fauna by not dragging anything over it.

Put 'em to work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!