iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old stihl?

Started by BubbasDad, April 30, 2015, 01:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbasDad

I rescued this old stihl today from scrap yard and ID tag and serial numbers are gone! Is there any other way to find out what model it is?

John

beenthere

s/n usually etched just above the clutch cover. Unless ground off.

Are you going to post and tell about the other pics you have?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

BubbasDad

Quote from: joe_indi on April 30, 2015, 03:10:34 AM
It is an old 044

It seems to have good comp. And its all there. So then it was worth saving?

Which pics beenthere? In my gallery? I will have to see whats in there, I asked the wife to get pics of the stihl i got yesterday up for me. Not sure what else she put up. I use a smart phone and could not figure out how to post a pic. That is why the stihl is on there twice.
John

kellysguy

Quote from: BubbasDad on April 30, 2015, 09:28:15 AM
Quote from: joe_indi on April 30, 2015, 03:10:34 AM
It is an old 044

It seems to have good comp. And its all there. So then it was worth saving?

Depends, do you have the time to put into it? If it were me I'd be real tempted to see what the old girl could do. That being said, I have a knack of giving other people's throw away junk new life. Most all of my stuff in my life is something someone else didn't want. Three weeks ago I saved a 1958 Delta 10" table saw and 6" jointer from the scrap yard. I'm about 80% through it now. Even my sawmill is something someone else no longer cared about. I kinda specialize and seek out stuff like that.  If you decide you don't want it, I'd be real tempted to find out how much it shipping would be. 

If she'll spin, I'll make her scream.  ;)

lumberjack48

If you get it running and give it a good cleaning, the 044 is a will sought after saw, it will bring 3 to 5 hundred on eb. I had 3 044's, they cut like an animal with the rpm set right.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JohnG28

Pull the muffler and have a look inside the p/c. Should be able to find the s/n above the front of the bar plate.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

BubbasDad

Hey Kellysguy, thinkin we may be related!  I have not bought a NEW saw in 15yrs. Was a 262xp. Loved that thing. Let a good friend buy it from me when i moved to Fl. and he killed it and junked it!
John

BubbasDad

Pulled the almost whole saw apart tonight after work to give it a good cleaning and  found a number. When i got it there was no spark and i figured out the switch was not breaking connection and i got it sparking again, so thats a plus. Gonna give her a good bath and see what rest of saw looks like (under all the caked on oil and saw dust.
John

j-jock

I admit to a lack of proper judgement when it comes to wanting to save old saws, and I have resuscitated many from the junk pile.  I have never owned  a Stihl 044, but I do have an 041, 049, 056, and a 075. all of which, in my estimation, are excellent saws.
If you have the time, and the inclination, you too can have more working saws than you will ever be able to use.
Bob

Many big old Macs, 2-1950s big IEL , various Stihl, Husky 2100XPs and 4-80s, Shindaiwa 545, and 2 Homelites
When it comes to keeping old 2 cycle engines running, it seems that luck is more important than skill.

Thank You Sponsors!