iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use rough sawn lumber in home?

Started by Bighead, January 19, 2022, 01:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bighead

I like to use pine or polar for walls and ceilings anyone do it?

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bighead

doc henderson

yes, these were milled to 1/2 inch actual and fastened with 2-inch finish nails.  i would be more worried about a head pulling through than a nail coming out of the stud.  these were put up relatively wet in a shop space.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

When I saw the topic, I thought the question was of rough sawn studs. I've had that question before. Problem would come from an uneven surface to mount drywall on (because of difference in shrinkage from drying). I've thought of planing just the width dimension (to 3-1/2") or letting the studs dry and re-cut the width so they would be consistent dimension.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

scsmith42

The biggest challenge with rough sawn lumber inside a home is that the surface will trap dust, and if you try to dust it off you'll get splinters in your dust mop, or it will leave threads on the wall.

With a thick enough finish you can dust it, but it's still problematic.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Joe Hillmann

I built my kitchen cabinets, doors and trim out of roughsawn lumber.  As others say they collect dust and dirt.  I eventually painted most of it with a thick-ish oil based paint to make cleaning easier.  And because the wife wanted them white.

I am in the process of building an entire house from rough sawn lumber( finished walls, finished floors, ceilings, beams, doors and trim)  I intend to very lightly sand it all with a brush head to freshen it up, clean off the sawdust and smooth sharp edges and tooth marks.    If we dont like it we can always cover it with paint or put up sheetrock.

Gary Davis

rough saw only a problem where you need it graded 

DMcCoy

Dirt, dust, and especially spider webs.  My wife put her foot down firmly and we planed our timbers.  Still get spider webs but they do come off.

jaygtree

when i do interior walls with rough i always use black plastic as a vapor barrier so as the boards shrink you see black in the gaps between the boards. looks nicer than seeing insulation and studs. jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

PoginyHill

There are wire brush machines set up like a sander. Would those smooth the more offending dust collectors on the surface and still provide a rough-sawn look?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

i think there was a thread on it.  It is like a burnisher.  the look would be what it is, and it would make it smoother but keep the grain.  @metalspinner 

doc henderson

metalspinner

That brush does knock off the loose stuff. But I don't think it will smooth the rough sawn splinters very well. 
Maybe a courser grit wheel than I used?? It's fairly inexpensive to test. 

But I think @WDH has a tree smoother he uses pretty effectively. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Quote from: PoginyHill on January 19, 2022, 08:26:23 AM
When I saw the topic, I thought the question was of rough sawn studs. I've had that question before. Problem would come from an uneven surface to mount drywall on (because of difference in shrinkage from drying). I've thought of planing just the width dimension (to 3-1/2") or letting the studs dry and re-cut the width so they would be consistent dimension.
I have sawn well over a million bf of framing lumber including studs.  I stopped counting the "whole houses" that I have sawn for when they passed 25 and that was over 10 years ago.  I have never been asked to come back and resurface the widths nor been aware of any of them being planed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I think there is a difference between advice for framing and wall type rough sawn.  Poss. the OP can clarify which they are most interested in.

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on February 06, 2022, 03:07:34 PM
But I think @WDH has a tree smoother he uses pretty effectively.
I spend a lot of time with that tree smoother  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

You have two very fine ones that I would kill to get.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: PoginyHill on February 06, 2022, 07:51:29 AM
There are wire brush machines set up like a sander. Would those smooth the more offending dust collectors on the surface and still provide a rough-sawn look?
I have a sand-rite nylon and sanding brush head.  I use the corset paper they offer.  I think 40 grit.  It does a good job of smoothing out sharp edges on corners and out of set teeth and removes sawdust.
The softer edges are easier to clean and probably dont catch as much dust to begin with.

Ventryjr

Give the boards a quick pass with a palm sander makes cleaning them in the future way easier. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!