iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bluegrass music lost a great one

Started by Banjo picker, December 27, 2020, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Tony Rice died on Dec 25th.  I would say one of, if not the best bluegrass guitarist ever.  Absolutely the best I have ever heard.  Couple that with one of the best voices ever.  We saw him in Dahlonega Ga. in 1995 just after he had lost his voice....but he could still make the ole Martin talk.  When JD Crowe had him and Skaggs in his band they were something else.  The Rounder record 0044 is one of the best out there.  Young musicians that didn't know how good they were.  If I knew how I would tie in their cut of "Old Home Place".   Maybe some of you more technologically advanced folks will help me out.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tacotodd

BP, you are NOT the only one that is technologically challenged 🤯 I feel like that when it comes to that sort of stuff and I don't care enough to learn about it 🤬 Those days passed me long ago.
Trying harder everyday.

Hilltop366

Well not a big bluegrass fan I still like a listen once in a while, I came across Tony Rice while listening to some Clarence White on youtube, both were very impressive!

If I'm not mistaken Tony Rice ended up with Clarence White's guitar.

Tony Rice - Old Home Place - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

This news hit me pretty hard yesterday. Tony passed away while making his morning coffee Christmas morning. More than just Bluegrass, his jazz skills and technique in all genre's were incredible. His innovative work and approach were unique and he has influenced the guitar world for generations yet to come. I loved his work with David Grisman and the quintet. He toured a little with my friend Bill Keith through Europe in the 70's doing short tours of 6 or 8 gigs. Bill always said Tony was the sweetest and at the same time most intense player you could meet. Always the consulate professional and perfectionist. 
 Tony's health in recent years has not been good, but he never gave up the fight. If you want to see courage, go look at the keynote address he delivered to the IBMA but just a few years ago. Makes me cry every time I watch it.
 Yes, I believe I recall that Tony did wind up with Clarence's guitar.  I know his Brother Roland, but I am not going to ask him. He still misses Clarence something fierce. That was a terrible loss of such a young and gifted master of the instrument.
 I sure hope Tony and Bill have hooked up again with Clarence and they are picking away.
BP, here is that tune you wanted:
Old Home Place / J. D. Crowe & the New South - YouTube 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Ouch! That is sad news. He was by far one of the best Bluegrass guitarists EVER. As well as a great singer with his influential work on so many recordings. 

To Canaan's land, I'm on my way
Where the soul of man never dies
My darkest night will turn to day
Where the soul of man never dies

No sad farewells (Dear friends there'll be no sad farewells)
No tear dimmed eyes (There'll be no tear dimmed eyes.)
Where all is love (Where all is peace and joy and love)
And the soul of man never dies (And the soul of man never dies)

"Where the soul of man never dies"
 Skaggs and Rice 1980

May he rest in peace, and his music live on.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

51cub

December was tough on music. Charley Pride on the 12th, KT Oslin on the 21st, and Tony
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

moodnacreek

51 Cub, didn't know him or that song [ more of an early c&w fan] but after listening I feel your pain.

Banjo picker

Thanks for posting that.   Did you notice that the kid with the big glasses on the Dobro was Jerry Douglas of Alison Kraus and Union Station fame.  I got JD Crowe to sign my banjo head back in 95.  That was a group of super pickers.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

51cub

I didn't notice. I was having too much trouble deciding if that was Ricky Skaggs next to him
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Banjo picker

moodnacreek

Banjo picker

No offence taken or even noticed,  but thanks anyway.   Tim

Old Greenhorn

There is a nice article in Bluegrass Today that kind of captures what I know, and think of Tony. It's a pretty good read, found here
 I do love this paragraph from the article:
"Tony Rice wielded "The Antique," his 1935 Martin D-28 formerly owned by Clarence White, with the staying power of Shakespeare, the lyricism of Joyce, and the wit of Twain. In the same way the strokes of their pens told humanity's story, bound it together in universal experience, and simultaneously helped form its future by expanding the boundaries of language, the strokes of Tony's flatpick glued our music together and grew it with masterful expression. Informed by the past, he not only forged headlong into the musical future, he carefully and intentionally shaped it."

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Banjo picker

Nice article.  The guitar that he bought in the mid 70s for something like $550.00 would  bring a mint now.  The sound hole has been expanded a bit.  I think White had that done.  But as much as that instrument was worth....when his place flooded, he saved his dog first.   Got someone else to go in an see if they could find his guitar.  That in itself speaks volumes about the man.  A true human being.  Tim

Thank You Sponsors!