iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple!

Started by jrose1970, January 19, 2015, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I guess I missed the guarenteed part. I must of forgot to turn in my warrety card.  :D  The only thing we are guarenteed is that it will get cold.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cbla

Quote from: thecfarm on February 04, 2015, 07:24:13 PM
I guess I missed the guarenteed part. I must of forgot to turn in my warrety card.  :D  The only thing we are guarenteed is that it will get cold.  ;D
:D

SwampDonkey

You wont have to worry about steam being sticky I don't think. ;) My cousin and his family live 100 % off syrup and Christmas tree sales and cuts a small amount of wood. He doesn't have a very big sugar bush or much woods. Mostly Christmas tree farming.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jrose1970

You're right about not having a guarentee, (LOL)   but you will still have taxes. :) This has been an exceptional year though! I boiled a half a pint this morning before work. It is fun! Next year we are going to 24 taps. It will be a lot more walking every night but good exercise.
Good luck DeerMeadowFarm! 
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: cbla on February 04, 2015, 07:21:35 PM
Make sure to take lots of pictures and post them please!

I will. Hopefully they won't disapoint you! We are starting out pretty small!

Quote from: jrose1970 on February 05, 2015, 10:25:22 AM
Good luck DeerMeadowFarm!

Thanks!

I may not get to it this weekend, we are having a big sliding party on Saturday and we have a Mass for my mom at noon on Sunday; two years since she passed  :(

I don't want to hijack the thread so I started another post if you're interested how we do sliding at Deer Meadow Farm!
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=81186.new#new

jrose1970

Sorry to hear about your mother.
We are still waiting for the first snow over about a half an inch. Sliding sounds fun!

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: jrose1970 on February 05, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother.
Thanks. I can't believe she's been gone this long.

jrose1970

I haven't had to walk down that road yet and I'm not looking forward to it.
Happy sappin' and slidin'!

DeerMeadowFarm

She lived a good life until the last few years when Dementia took it's toll on her. We still have my dad; 89 years old! I'm picking him up at the assisted living facility where he lives to spend the weekend with us. From our bedroom window he'll be able to watch the kids (both young and old) go sliding by! He used to always make a track at his house for his grandkids so he'll appreciate it!

cbla

I am interested on seeing some pictures of this track. sounds awesome.

Remle

If you want to see pictures of the tracks past, go back to reply #29 in this post and follow the yellow brick road, just follow the yellow brick road, aw nuts now I got that stupid song stuck in my head... LOL.

BBTom

Maple syrup is at the correct density (66 Brix) when it boils at 7°F above the boiling point of water.  Do not assume that water boils at 212°F.  Boil some water and measure the temp with the same thermometer that you are using in the sap.  The boiling point of water changes with the barometric pressure, altitude, and anything else it wants, so you have to check it often.  Daily at least, more often if a front is coming through the area.   

Maple syrup will mold if it is less than 65 brix and will crystallize if more than 67.5 brix. 

Good luck to all and enjoy the fun of syrup making.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

jrose1970

Hi BBTom,
  What does Brix stand for. I'm still learning the art of finishing it.
   By the way...my wife told me that I'm going to be washing walls in the spring. LOL. My Daddy taught me to say, "You were right and I was wrong."  Next year I'll have a summer kitchen or sugar shack!

cbla

Quote from: jrose1970 on February 08, 2015, 07:11:28 PM
Hi BBTom,
  What does Brix stand for. I'm still learning the art of finishing it

Go for the sugar shack

By the way...my wife told me that I'm going to be washing walls in the spring. LOL. My Daddy taught me to say, "You were right and I was wrong."  Next year I'll have a summer kitchen or sugar shack!

cbla

I can only guess how hard it would be to clean up the sticky mess on the ceiling

jrose1970

I'll find out I reckon. LOL

BBTom

Sorry, I have been in process of moving to Missouri.  Brix is the percentage of sugar solids in suspension within the syrup. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

jrose1970

Thanks. Good luck with your new home in Missouri! I've been building on this one in Tennessee for 15 years. LOL

Thank You Sponsors!