1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Nate379

A box blade works ok for doing parking lots with light snowfall but not well for roads, and it's a real fight if the snow is deep.

I ran a 14' one on a Cat IT28.  The skid steers were almost faster with only 9ft blades since they would angle... like on a road it was 2, maybe 3 passes with the blade angled.  The box would be only 2 passes, but once it was full it just made a mess till I could get to a pile to stack the snow up.  Sometimes could only go 10-15 ft till the box was full.
Once the box is full the snow goes off to both sides.  End up spending all day going over and over and over cleaning up the windrows.

Quote from: RKH Logging on November 26, 2014, 10:40:50 PM
Ive been realy thinking about what im going to build. Ive done alot of research and cant find any one online running a box blade snow pusher on a skidder. I realy like the simplicity of the box blade idea. No trip springs, free standing when not on the skidder, plus very universal, i would be able to mount it on a backhoe or loader bucket if i need to.  Im going to build it 12 wide by 36" high.  This is similar to what i want to build. I figure i can build it for about $1100 thats sand blasted and painted. I got a guote for all the steal today it was $530 for 3/16 or $670 for 1/4. Then ill need about 20' of 1/4 wall 2"x2" square tubing. And i have a old 12' cutting edge. 

snowstorm

like i already said find a dustpan that was used to plow roads. most are pitch adjustable with the brackets to run shoes. set up right you can plow a non frozen dirt gravel road.

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: snowstorm on November 28, 2014, 08:24:47 AM
like i already said find a dustpan that was used to plow roads. most are pitch adjustable with the brackets to run shoes. set up right you can plow a non frozen dirt gravel road.

Listen to the storm. He didn't get that name for nothing. I have been talking about adding a snow blade to mine for years.  To push my banks back etc. It becomes a priority ever year after we get hammered with snow. :-p
Everyone I talk to says find a small dustpan or wing and don't go to big. The big ones are very heavy. She is a little hard to steer with the rear wheels in the air.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

snowstorm

i sold a 10' left hand wing to a guy that put it on his fowarder. he said it worked fine. one of the plow trucks i have came set up with double wings. the left side wasnt used much so it was pretty nice. this truck came from up in the county and sometimes they would run with bolth wings. make one pass down the back roads and clear the whole road

chester_tree _farmah

Oh yeah. Some of the state trucks in Maine have the wings on both sides. It is quite a sight to see them with the snow blasting out both sides flying along!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

thecfarm

I saw a guy that had a wing on his skidder. He was cutting above me and I was clearing out my woods road with my tractor. He was walking back up the road and I was just getting started on the "plowing". He said if I would of known early I would of done it for you in no time. A flat bed was coming to move his skidder,so he had no time to help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

? Now im lost. ?  What is a "dustpan" ???

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 29, 2014, 10:26:25 AM
? Now im lost. ?  What is a "dustpan" ???
its a one way plow usually but my 10' angles. maybe 25" high on the left and 55" or higher on the right.my 11' on my ih 2574 will throw snow 35' or more if your going fast enought. it will really send it out there. carl frink built a lot of them in upstate ny

BargeMonkey

Gotcha.  :D  we are talking the same thing, yeah i have one made to hook onto my 544G loader. Bucket tabs and 2 chains, easy on and off. No way my 440D would pick it, mines only 10' wide and weighs quite a bit. Saw a 544H for sale up your way, JRB hook up snow plow and wing off the side, now thats doing it in style. Our 644H-MH deere is about useless in the snow, even with the rock radial tires, we will plow the pit with it but thats it.

chester_tree _farmah

I now remember where I saw that state truck dusting it back on both sides. 295 north.  2 trucks. Left most truck had both wings down and the right truck further back had just it's dustpan and right wing down. They were doing all but the very right breakdown lane with two trucks. Doing about 30 with about 6 inches on the road and the snow was flying. I wish I could have video taped it but I was going the other way!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

4-5yrs ago when we had that week of record snow fall it got to the point nothing wheeled pushed it. 450J went one way, 450G went the other covering about 60 miles each. These are the days you wish for a cab dozer.  :D

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 29, 2014, 08:27:54 PM
4-5yrs ago when we had that week of record snow fall it got to the point nothing wheeled pushed it. 450J went one way, 450G went the other covering about 60 miles each. These are the days you wish for a cab dozer.  :D

I have no idea how folks live in Buffalo. We get hammered at times but we usually get a break between.  Can't imagine having good to plow every night for weeks straight. 
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 29, 2014, 08:37:54 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 29, 2014, 08:27:54 PM

I have no idea how folks live in Buffalo. We get hammered at times but we usually get a break between.  Can't imagine having good to plow every night for weeks straight.
All our local fire depts sent people out, sad part was a guy from Summit died in the firehouse while loading the truck. Forget living out there, i spent a season out there working on the boat fighting the ice all winter long.

Thank You Sponsors!