iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The 98,000 board feet question?

Started by krazykioti, April 16, 2011, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krazykioti

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help! This is a great forum.I followed this forum for a number of years ,but never really participated.The learning process is actually what makes life worthwhile.Without it we wither up and die!
The depreciation of equipment with a business intrigues me.This is quite possibly where the advantage lies in having a small business.Buy one piece of equipment at a time without going into debt.Upgrade my 45hp Kioti 4x4 with fel to a 50hp tractor with 4x4,fel,hydro trans and backhoe.Buy a 3pt hitch tiller ,finish rake,box scrapper,trailer for hauling lumber or tractor & equipment,1 ton dump truck . Everything that could be purchased and used in my forest could also be used for landscaping! I guess working 50 hours a week in the machine shop is not enough to keep me busy.                                My wife had a relative who recentlly passed away who was 101 years old.He still tended his oil leases every day by carrying a tool bag and walking in the woods to all of the leases.When he was 100yrs old he still operated his bull dozer.It helps to have a good hobby! And it helps you more if that hobby can make you a little money.
I am borderline type 2 diabetic,have leaky heart valves & an enlarged heart, but i stay active and walk often.I am intent on living a long and full life with the help of the man upstairs!

jim king

A whole lot of common sense and experience showing on this thread.  I have no idea about prices up there but what would be the value of a few veneer logs be ?  Would a few veneer logs buy what you need to produce firewood and leave you debt free while upgrading your forest ?

Low grade trees for firewood and wait for prices to improve before getting in over your head. I dont know how reliable this web site pricing is but looks like a little veneer could get you going.

I just did a search -----   veneer log pricing -------and it looks interesting.  Lot of info available.

http://northeasttimberexchange.com/?page_id=3April 18, 2011  Prices /M

Sugar Maple
Grade Specifications
Dia $/m
AAA 9'6",10'6". 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart max. Butts. 18" $6,000.+
AA 9'6",10'6". 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart max. Butts. 16" $4,000.
A 9'6",10'6". 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart max. Butts. 14" $3,000.
B 9'6",10'6". 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart. 14" 1 sm def. or 13" clear butts. 13" $2,000.
VP 9'6",10′6″. 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart. 14″ $1,100.
V1 9′6",10′6″. 4 sides clear. 1/3 heart. 14" 1 defect. 12" $  900.

V2
9′6″,10′6″.  4 sides clear. 1/3 heart. 12″ 1 defect. 11″ $  650.

thecfarm

Paul,with a market for the tops there is nothing to clean up. I had a logger come in and do a small cutting on my lot. I knew he would do a good job,watched him cut for 20 years. No tops that really amounted to anything were left.He left 2 guys here for 2 weeks to clean up. He did not make much money in those 2 weeks. But made out good the other 8 weeks he was here.I know differant regions cut differant ways. But with krazykioti,there might be a pulp,chip market close by.
I thought you had a Kioti.If you're going to upgrade get a 60hp,with a foresty trailer behind it. Than you can rebuild stone walls with it too. How many hours on that tractor? I suppose you like it. I kinda been looking at a 50-60hp one to replace my tired out 40hp NH. That NH has treated me so good with the abuse-work I've done with it,I'm kinda leary of buying something else.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

krazykioti

Hello thecfarm. I have just a little over 300 hrs on my tractor.I am very happy with it.Very well built. Sometimes I wish I had a hydo-transmission and backhoe.I would consider buying another in a heart beat.

Thank You Sponsors!