iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Norwood Mill (lotsa pics)

Started by spokeshave, May 09, 2004, 06:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

Could someone tell me what are the differences between the Lumbermate Mark IV, and the Lumbermate 2000.
Thanks
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Gabby

Just to make all Norwood owners aware they (Norwood) have a forum for users on the Norwood web site. Check it out!
Never enuf time

Furby

Sorry Gabby, but I was bored to death at that forum and I own a Norwood. ::)
Best place for answers of ANY type is right here!

Kirk_Allen

Furby you could not have said it any better.  I think the FF probably has more Norwood folks than Norwood.  No one is selling a brand here! 

Kirk_Allen

Not at all PawNature. 

I am not a Norwood mill owner but if I recall correctly the Mark 3 and Mark 4 are early versions of what is now called the Lumbermate 2000.

I know they reference some options that fit all three series mills.  I am not sure of the SPECIFIC differences other than they are just older versions of todays Norwood mill.

PawNature

The reason I ask is I found a used Mark IV that still has the orignal band on it. (So the owner says) and has always been stored inside for $3000. I am buying it regardless but was just curious if anyone could tell me the difference betwee the Mark IV and the 2000

PawNature

Furby

I say: good buy! smiley_thumbsup
My Mark 3 is a 1995 I belive and was made just before Norwood bought the company. I belive the Mark 4 was made just after they bought the company and then the Lumbermate 2000 was the more streamlined edition.
They now have a power feed advailable as an upgrade, but it is $$$.
My mill is beat up, but cuts real good lumber.

GregS

Quote from: bberry on February 26, 2005, 07:42:44 PM
Also I Sharpen my own blades on a 100 dollar sharpener. I use 10 degrees on everything and no problems. Real easy to sharpen. No need for a expensive sharpener.

bberry,  Please tell me more about your sharpener.  I will need one soon.  Also your reason for going to diesel drip makes lots of sense....thanks.

Excellent pics Spokeshave!

JP

Very nice pictures, good post///  I have had my LM2000 for about 1.5yrs and have had a good time with it/// anyone thinks it cant take a beating is wrong as i have droped a 12' x 24 " Hemlock log on it and skidded it back about 4" w/o any damage-I to would like to see the plans for the Kiln// JP  pics of my mill etc. at:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4231442&a=31390449&f=
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

bberry

GregS,
      Just got back from upstate NY and looked at a new Norwood in Johnstown. Nice setup and a lot of new updates from my old Norwood. The sharpener is simply an 8 inch grinder that allows the band to sit flat on the tool rest and the angle is scribed on the steel tool rest and the blade is held at that angle and very lightly pushed into the stone which is shaped to match the gullet. I bought it from a west coast outfit. I think it may have been Linn Lumber. Works excellent and takes about twenty minutes to do a blade. Slow but gets the job done and cuts better than new. Twenty below mornings are better spent in the basement sharpening and listening to music anyway. Glad you are doing the oil drip. You can run it in front of the infeed guide so it spreads out over the blade. I run it to both sides and that is an advantage. There are many advantages to the oil drip and don't let the environmentalists bother you. They are uninformed as to the source of windshield washer fluid used by all water lubers in cold weather. The use of oil to manufacture methanol for use in windshield washer fluid takes the sting out of their words. Not to mention what is used to manufacture dish washing soap. I probably use less oil in my system than the enviros do in their chain saws. Why would we use tons of the stuff. It's too precious. A little common sense goes a long ways up here in Maine.

GregS

bberry,  Thank you very much for the sharpener info!  I will investigate.  I agree with your sense of reality...and many people never even consider product processing when they by something. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to side-track this tread from Norwood mills.

Greg S

PawNature

Well I picked up my Mark IV Friday. I got more than I thought I was getting, for a change. :)
It came with the 4 ft extension for cutting 16 footers, also has the log rolling toe board attachments 5 new blades a cant hook and numerous other items. I am well satisifed. Got it set up Saturday and cut a small popular just to check it out. Love it. The only difference I can find is that the 2000 will cut a 31 inch log and the Mark IV is limited to 27-28 inches.

JP

I have had the LM2000 for about 2 years --has worked very well for me//

Here are some addons and things to make working with the LM 2000 easier/

The first is a small valve to control the water lube –easy to adjust with one finger
It can be purchased at:   http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/20-868.html?id=cqQ3txzY

The second is a large log turner which can be used as a log loader when mounted from the other side (in the trailer mount). This is with hand winch but could have a 2000 # 12 volt winch.

The third is a laser to see where the slab cuts are going to be//

The fourth is a carrage stop so you can shove the carrage back and not have it slam into the end of the mill/

See pictures at: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4231442&a=31929447
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Thank You Sponsors!