iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Progression, innovation, pride

Started by hackberry jake, June 09, 2012, 01:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Do you guys feel a sort of pride when you look at one of your first woodworking attempts and compare it to something you have made recently? I see things I made when I first got interested. I didn't have a jointer when I made a lot of my first projects, so all the glue joints were sloppy and sometimes my panels/tops didn't have glue and were just boards side by side. I didn't know as much about moisture and wood movement so I had a few fails over that. I began putting "fancy router edges" on my work, and learned a lot about finishes. There is still a lot to learn, but for being self taught, I think I'm coming along nicely. I messaged calebL earlier and he is going to a hand dovetail cutting class. That don't sound like a half bad idea. I've always wondered how people make them look so perfect by hand. Anyways, I'm gunna get off my soapbox now. Do you guys feel pride when you compare past to present works?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lud

There is a satisfaction  to doing things well and having learned from your mistakes.  I started making woodworking mistakes about 55 years ago so the fact that I am creative enough to still find new mistakes to make is a source of pride to me.  Not just being careless and forgetful but making actual new mistakes can be  a source of satisfaction.  If you're lucky enough to work with stuff long enough, you'll experience the joy of making a mistake, recognizing it as a mistake you've made before but that you'd forgotten the lesson that you'd learned once before .  And then you're on the way to turning the bad mistake into a bad habit and you'll learn the secret woodworking technique of making extra parts to be able to efficiently get past your future mistakes  more quickly.

Pursue perfection persistently but accept the flaws in the flow.  Humility is a better island to live on than Pride.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

T Welsh

Jake, Absolutely. And what lud said is the truth. I always try to one up myself on every project and try to reach perfection. But playing with hardwoods always seems to humble me and bring me back to reality. Tim

metalspinner

I used to get upset when I made a mistake. The problem was I turned out to always be upset. ::)

The best part of a mistake is the creative opportunity it provides you with. Often the mistake will take you on a new direction you would never have thought to take originally and your project benefits from it.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

The first person that has to be pleased with any project is yourself.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 09, 2012, 01:45:59 AM
Do you guys feel a sort of pride when you look at one of your first woodworking attempts and compare it to something you have made recently?

Actually, I feel mostly embarrassed. I gave a couple a Pepper Mill I had turned a few years ago after I first got my lathe. I thought it looked really nice then. Now, when I walk in and see it on their kitchen table all I can think is "I wish they would throw that ugly thing away."

I'm in the middle of building a Cherry blanket chest and I made some mistakes that I have made before. The difference now is that I either know how to hide/correct the mistakes or when to mill another piece(s).

If I am blessed to continue woodworking for another 10 years, I'll probably look back on what I make today with embarrassment.

I don't think anyone is ever completely satisfied with their work. Even though excellence is definitely achievable, the goal, for me at least, is perfection.

I won't ever get there but I'm gonna have fun trying. 
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

terrifictimbersllc

I hardly ever remember anything that went into the stove. :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 10, 2012, 10:55:56 AM
I hardly ever remember anything that went into the stove. :)

This one made me laugh!  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You will always make mistakes, but you will make less of them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Thanks for youtube.  I'm making kitchen cabinets at present.  A friend suggested a cabinet making video on youtube.  While I'm no stranger to making cabinets, I'm far from a pro.  After watching it this morning I thought now why didn't I think of that? for a few operations.  I also had to question a couple of his methods.

I suppose the point of this little story is we can always learn from others. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Overlength

Mistakes are nothing a new cool tool won't solve.
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

Magicman

Make peace with your past mistakes so they won't screw up your present and future.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I made a bonehead mistake about an hour ago and I am still pithed about it  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

WDH,
Forgot to tighten the little screws on your dovetail jig?

Forgot you lopped off the first foot of your tape measure because the tab was breaking off and your beautiful 16" wide cherry board is now a foot too short?

Forgot to clean your favorite finishing brush the last time you urethaned something?

Didn't attach the dust collector bag correctly then turned it on?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Nope.  Made a very nice cherry panel 20" wide by 36" long with an intricate scroll pattern on the bottom edge.  Had it just like I wanted it.  Stood it up on the work bench, thought it was balanced on edge, let go for ONE SECOND to grab a ruler, and it fell off the workbench, hit the floor, and split down the middle  :'(.

At that moment, I could have bit nails into better with my teeth than with a pair of wire cutters  :).

Todd

I'm kind of the opposite...I often look at the things I've done in the past and wonder "how in the world did I do that?"  Then you get back into a project and remember it was just working through the challenges.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

WDH

Yeah, I am the same way.  I look at something that I made a good while back and think, "Did I make that  ???".

Lud

Todd's got it right calling them challenges.  I've always thought of it as "solving the puzzles".  Sometimes it's your past experiences that tell you how to solve the puzzle and sometimes it's something you just read on the Forum.

The , "Ohhhh,  I wished I'd known that before"  moment  I have reading the threads almost every day! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

One thing that I had to learn is that there is a proper order in doing things.  For example, it is easier to do the rough sanding before a piece is glued up most times.  When making doors, always make the cope cuts first so that the cuts on the styles removes any tear-out from the cope.  Make the top last, not first, and leave it in the clamps until you are ready to attach it to the carcass, that way it will not lay around for weeks and cup on you. 

Magicman

Quote from: Lud on June 13, 2012, 07:23:36 AM
I have reading the threads almost every day! 8) 

Reading and having a Happy Birthday today I hope.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!