iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweeps for carriage on circular sawmill

Started by Steam Bill, June 24, 2021, 09:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Bill

Anyone  have any suggestion for a fixture to mount to the carriage on my circular mill to push wood chips and sawdust off the tracks We cut a fair amount of pine from time to time and the stuff sticks better than super glue especially after the wheels hit it. I have been trying to think off ways to make a mounting without getting overly complicated.Maybe  someone has been through this already.

mike_belben

Dollar store foxtail brooms mounted for and aft of your carriage rollers
Praise The Lord

Ron Wenrich

There are several ways of doing it.  One is the broom system, but if you have some sappy chips, the broom might not clean it off if you run over during your sawing.

I had some steel pockets made from some 4x4 steel tubing that we mounted on the carriage over the track.  I put pieces of wood in the tubing that would rub against the track.  It kept it pretty clean and it wears better than a broom.  I also fit the pieces so it would go around the guide track.  We had a vertical edger that blew pieces over both tracks.  

Another option is to put a made from steel that is angled on both sides and held together with steel.  Looks something like this  /---\ .  You have to lift the carriage and slip them under the wheels.  The bottom will clean the track, and the top will clean the wheel.  They work pretty well.  They free wheel around the wheel, so they are not mounted to the carriage.  They make a lot of noise when you go back and forth.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

Here's what is on my Carriage.  Hard rubber.

moodnacreek

I agree with R.W.  The rubber flap will do nothing with sap or frosty sawdust hitting cold steel.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

welderskelter

I bolted a license plate to my mill to let it rub and wear sharp to cut things off. Got to watch what state you get those plates from tho, because some states dont work.

Steam Bill

Thanks all  Thinking a metal bracket shaped like the one In the picture with a wire brush head screwed to it to scrape the track

Jeff

Your wheels carry debris and should be kept clean as well. That link I included shows a duel function scraper
 Unless you have itty-bitty wheels, it is a winner.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ventryjr

My lane mill has square steel pockets approx 4"w x 8"L with nylon wear blocks at Either end.  So when the carriage goes forward it pushes the nylon block/steel pocket. The. Reverse carriage pushes the opposite was and hit a the other side of the pocket/ nylon.  So each wheel on my mill has 1 steel square with 2 nylon blocks in it. Hope this helps you! I'll try to get pics next time I'm at the mill 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!