iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green vs Seasoned Firewood

Started by Mike_M, September 29, 2010, 07:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

What is the normal price difference per chord (4'x4'x8') of firewood between green and seasoned?Seasoned Douglas Fir is going for around $150 per chord. Was curious what I might charge for Green.
Thanks.

CX3

Same price if its coming off my truck
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

saltydog

Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

John Mc

Not that prices of hardwood in New England have much to do with your situation, but in my area of Vermont, seasoned, ready to burn hardwood does have a significant premium over green. The premium does seem to grow a bit the closer we get to the heating season. Right now seasoned hardwood is going for $250/cord. I haven't checked on green recently, but I had seen it as low as $150, though a bit higher is typical ($165-$185).

I'm not sure all that drives the difference. I'm sure as you get closer to actually needing to burn it, a buyer may have no other choice. They can burn green wood, but they get up to 40% fewer usable BTUs out of it (not to mention more creosote in their chimneys).

From the supplier side, maybe selling green allows less handling? If your customers are lined up ahead of time, you can run the conveyor from the firewood processor right into a dump truck and deliver it. If you are going to season it, you have to put it somewhere, then load it again later for delivery. Since I'm not in the business, I'm just guessing. With the premium as high as it is, I'd do whatever I could to get ahead enough to sell seasoned. A 50%+ return for letting it sit a year is tough to beat!

I see a more homeowners in my area considering buying log length firewood, and cutting and splitting it themselves. I hear some of the guys with firewood processors like to have a few customers in this category, since it's a great place to get rid of some of the more crooked logs that won't go through their processor as well. (I guess a few bends and gnarly pieces aren't such a big deal when you're only doing a few cords and using a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter, as opposed to more automated equipment).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

They all sell at one price around here, whatever they can get. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JDeere

We sell some fire wood in Maine & New Hampshire and what John Mc said is dead on for us.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

barbender

Seasoned goes for more around here. A lot of people buy green 100" loads and cut and split it themselves. I've made a lot of firewood deliveries when hauling wood in the winter, it's a nice change of pace from hauling pulp all day but it can sure bungle your schedule with some of the situations you get in. I think 100" red oak is going for around $85- $90 cord when getting a truckload. I think I've seen seasoned going for around $150, cut, split and delivered. I think green CSD goes around $100 a cord. But I think if it's 100" it all goes for the same price whether fresh or if it has sat a year (doesn't dry much like that anyhow)
Too many irons in the fire

JHBC

You can get more for seasoned.  Most people buy firewood for the service.  Seasoned, split, and delivered.  A cord 4x4x8 of doug fir goes for 200 these days,  I'd be hard pressed to ever sell any green wood, round or split, during burning season.  It can be sold easier in the spring, when people can let it sit.  Most who don't mind buying green, get log truck loads or half loads, for a low price, then cut and split themselves.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

mainiac

Price for my firewood goes up through the summer as I have to pay the finance charges for the wood I bought last winter. I haven't built up enough cash reserves to do self finance of 100 cord yet. Started in april at 210/cord and am now at 230/cord for wood that was cut last winter.

Mainiac
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

John Mc

Mainiac -

How has your wood been moving for you this year?

It seems like a strange year around here. A number of firewood suppliers in my area have been sold out of seasoned wood (at $250/cord), while I've heard from some guys in other parts of the state that their firewood just isn't moving lie it has in other years.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Stove oil hasn't been moving much in price for months. I suspect some are on that again. Just wait until Christmas, the phones will be ringing for wood. Even at current stove oil prices, still way ahead on wood heat in this area. I guess some people are just learning to live with the current stove oil prices. That's ok if your further south and in a well insulated house. For those guys the wood may not be worth the hassle man handling it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mainiac

John Mc

I am going to sell out of wood that was cut last winter this month. A few new customers, but mostly repeat business. I don't advertise. It was slow early on, but after the first cool weather we had, phone started ringing. Most of my cutomers only take 1 or 2 cord per year, so it is more of a pleasure to them than heating. Going to burn that every year reguardless.

I agree though, been a strange summer for orders. Truck driver was delivering a load of ash a couple of weeks ago and was saying samething as you.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Stephen Alford

Here green and seasoned are going for $200.00/cd blocked split and delivered. Last year was a rather mild winter and most customers had wood left over. Ya sure got to like a roof with more than one chimney.  :)

logon

SwampDonkey

Stephen, looks like old grampy had to add on to the homestead for the kids and grand kids. ;D

Stephen Alford

Hey SD, folks have been coming and going there for 149 years. I wonder what seasoned wood was worth compared to greenwood in 1861 .   ???
logon

SwampDonkey

Probably worth more back then before the pulp industry drove the price down.  But everyone had huge woodlots unless you lived in town. :D My grandfather hauled wood steady by horse and sleigh all winter to the reservation and the town. The reservation has a huge woodlot with a lot of hard maple for firewood. Back then it was cut for the priest house and church and anyone on the reserve that needed it of course. But if you cut for the priest you got paid. :D :D

One episode my grandfather told about for as long as I can remember, was he hauled into a house in town. The lady says throw it in the basement and pile it and I'll be right down with the pay.  Well after it was all done, he went to get the pay. The lady said that "so and so just stole every cent she had". :D So, no pay for that job.

Thank You Sponsors!