iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handy things around the mill

Started by Bibbyman, July 01, 2001, 12:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The random picture on the forum entrance came up and it was the picture we got of the big 'ole Peavey we took last year.  It probably aint handy around the mill but I thought the LogRite fellers might want to look at it.

Here is the link to the thread where the picture appears.
Steiner Museum

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

that sucker is HUGE!
a man could get tired, good thing it has a seat. ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

karl

red-
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
thanks, needed a good giggle
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

rbarshaw

This is a log turner I made out of rebar, It works real good on logs over 12" in diameter.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Bibbyman

Mary has made many sets of sawhorses.  She's got a good scald on a heavy duty set about 16" tall and 4' long she uses to stack lumber on.  They work well and sure come in handy.

She started making a second set yesterday and finished them up this morning.  This set is made of sycamore.  Sycamore is a good choice as it dries out light and is very strong wood.  It will also hold the screws better than most any other wood.

I took a couple of pictures.  If I get time,  I'll get some dimensions and make a drawing and put it in the Knowledge base.

Here is what the leg assembly looks like. The legs are 2x4 and the bracing is 1x4.

The legs are 18" long and all angles are cut to 15 degrees.

Here is the finished sawhorse.  The top board is a 2x6.  The 1x4 upright is on there so to help keep one edge of the bundle straight.

Here is an old set in use.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WoodChucker

Bibbyman, what a great idea!  Thanks for sharing, I could really use a few of those. :)

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Bibbyman

Good ol' Sears came through again! 8)

We don't have a Sears in our little town but they have a small one in a town about 30 mile north of us.  Real good people that run the place.

Yesterday we had another reason to make a run up to that town so we loaded up two broken Craftsman tape measures to excahange.  I think at least one is the third replacement.

Walked in.  Greated at the door. Asked how we could be helped.  Mary handed the girl the two broke tape measures.  It was as good as money.  "Come this way."  Only had one in stock (small store) but the second one will be sent out to us of their catalog department in 4-8 days.

I think we paid about $10 for the tapes years ago.  They work well and hold up well.  If they didn't,  it wouldn't be worth the trouble to keep exchanging them.

Mary especally like how the blade locks as you pull it out.  Then you release the lock to let the blade return.  The blade lock on others don't work that way.
Sawing since '94

dail_h

Boy I sure like them sawhorses
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sawmillsi

Hi guys,

about cant hooks - we have and use about 6 or 7 of them.

they are STIHL cant hooks. nice and light with a good solid hickory handle (i think).

we also use and sell Peterson cant hooks (RRP USD$70 + tax).

i used these in the solomon islands on logs about 7' in diameter with 3 or 4 guys hanging off them - real strong!!!

Simon

Bibbyman

I have modified my above post on the sawhorses to include that ...

The legs are 18" long and all angles are cut to 15 degrees.
Sawing since '94

chevymetal

Hey Guys,

Got in on this a little late, but I recently bought an all metal cant hook from Cook's, and it works great. I paid $49.00 online.  ;D
www.cookssaw.com
2003 Cook's Accu-trac AC-36
51hp Perkins Diesel
Cuttin' for a Livin'

Tam-i-am

That cant weighs 18 pounds.  

LogRite's is less than 9 pounds, all metal and is also guaranteed not to break.  Not to mention it comes in blue ;).
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Bibbyman

Now....  If it just came in .. say....   ORANGE;)
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Bibbyman,

I second your comments !!!!  :D :D :D :D
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tam-i-am

WoodMizer has one in orange and they bring it to all their shows.  You know what the problem is-when they stand it up against the mill they can't find it because it blends in. ;)

DanG

Good point, Tamiam! :D :D :D  Maybe y'all could make a orange one for the Baker folks. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

leweee

I'd take a pinkone !!! No one would steal a pink one ::) :D :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Captain

They sold Tammy's pink one in Virginia.  Somewhere there is a pictures of 'Shopteacher' with that one.

CAPTAIN

Kevin_H.

I bought a set of them am/fm stereo hearing protectors yesterday...Sure was cool to be able to listen to music all day while I sawed...Lynette likes it too because the mill is loud enough that she cant hear me sing.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tam-i-am

Kevin and I have a pair of the radio hearing protection that we fight over.  They are a fun thing to have.

ex-racer

When sawing framing lumber, I use this handy guage up against the small end of a log to estimate what I can get out of it.

Here, I can see that I should be able to get four 2 x 10s, plus a couple of 2 x 6s, and a couple of boards.

Ed

NOTE FROM ADMIN
The red x above is why we now insist that posted photos reside within the Forestry Forum Galleries.  WE HATE RED X'S!  :)

gboucher

Hi! Bob
I'm with you on the remote control. I built my own mill with a 20hp Honda I have hydraulic up & down as well as mud saw. It was a push mill to start but I guess I'm out of shape & alergic to saw dust. So I made an electric cable drive with a capstan, I used a automotive remote power door lock system, I use the lock & unlock buttons for stop & go, the trunk unlock with a washer pump for lub spray & a washing machine switch for reversing the head travel. I'm just updating the head in my shop (it's -10C & 18" of snow outside) I just adapted a bodyshop port-o-power unit withe a 6" cylinder to replace the original springs for the band tension. I also added a couple of pads under my roller blade guides to stop the blade from diving when it gets "pitch" on it. I'm also adapting a 12 volts wiper motor with a chain drive to adjust my movable blade guide . I use my old Bobcat to load logs on the mill. I have to come up with a log turner next. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the head back on the bed. By the way can anyone tell me how far down I should adjust my blade guides.
Thaks.
Georges

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Fourm,  GB from BC.  

I think we need to see some pictures of your inventions. 8)
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

Welcome to the forum, Gboucher.

Lumby, BC.  I know where that is.  I drove through there last summer, twice.  I didn't see your mill out by the highway though. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

T_in_SC

Welcome to the forum, GB.  On my home built the quides deflect the blade down about 1/4 inch.  Thats with trailer tires for bandwheels.

Thank You Sponsors!