iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trail cameras

Started by DDW_OR, August 17, 2018, 02:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Kodiakmac

My wife and I own/operate a deer-hunting/outfitting business ... perhaps I should have put that in the past-tense because 2 years of border closures have pretty well killed it.  

In any event, we have used a mix of trail cameras over the years - cuddieback, moultrie, etc - with mixed results as far as reliability and image quality are concerned.  But here's a really interesting fact that I tell all our clients when they call up and ask "So, do you have trail cameras out?   What are you seeing?"

"Yup, we do. And we're catching a few decent bucks. But here's something to think about.  In all the years we have been up and running none of the Big Bucks that our clients have shot have ever been caught on our cameras, and, none of the Big Bucks that we've caught on our trail cameras have ever been shot by our clients."
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Dakota

@Kodiakmac , do you have a theory about that?  Just interested.
Dave Rinker

beenthere

Quote"Yup, we do. And we're catching a few decent bucks. But here's something to think about.  In all the years we have been up and running none of the Big Bucks that our clients have shot have ever been caught on our cameras, and, none of the Big Bucks that we've caught on our trail cameras have ever been shot by our clients."

kodiakmac
That sums it up as true for my experience as well. This year tho, the bigger bucks are still showing up in September whereas previous years they seem to disappear before September. 

I'm trying to sort out if these three events on the trail cam are all the same buck. 

https://rumble.com/v1m28fy-bucks-at-corner.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kodiakmac

Yes Dakota, I have a theory.  The only conclusion I can come to is that the Big Bucks in these parts are not what you'd call homebodies.  They are really migratory with large overlapping ranges and boundaries that are constantly in a state of flux.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Walnut Beast

To a certain degree of not capturing pictures. That's simply crazy. From many guys I know that have shot monster bucks myself included they have been caught on camera most generally.  Now one caught on camera and not coming back I've had it  many times. Or a deer caught on camera and shot or seen on a camera miles away. 

terry f

Beenthere, I believe all three are the same buck 

beenthere

Thanks Terry
I am thinking that too.. just points out how tough it is (for me) to see differences in antler size (the third buck seems to have thinner horns/antlers than the first two), but then one is at night.
I wrestle with those similarities and differences often when trying to decide if I am seeing a different one or not.

But fun to see the bucks, regardless. Am thinking of going next week to try for a doe. If one of these bucks happens to cross my shooting lane then the doe hunt is off.  ;D   But these big bucks are smarter than the average bear doe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

This wide antlered 8 pt (might be 9 if the sticker near the base of the left antler counts) returned to a different trail cam caught on camera 6 days before. 
Better close-up of him in this video. The camera date/time reset wrong but it was evening of 9/28 about 7:30 pm. Good to see him again, as he hung around for about a half hour. 

https://rumble.com/v1mexn6-buck-wide-lower-trail-sept.html

south central Wisconsin

Walnut Beast

He's nice and nice video. If the point is over a inch it gets counted. In a typical buck like yours the point would get deducted from the total score 

Walnut Beast

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Walnut Beast

DDW_OR

i call the elk heard in Oregon the mowers

one time i was outside sitting on the steps when the mowers arrived
so i called my friend Dave in AZ to tell him
as we talked one of the cows kept moving closer to me
she got to within 10 ft

sorry no photo.

then in Montana i was walking the trail in the local woods, near lots of houses
a Doe and her 2 fawns approached me
she stayed about 20 ft away
her fawns came to within 1/4 inch sniffing but never touching
i guess the locals have been feeding them.
still was very cool.
"let the machines do the work"

Walnut Beast

I should have got a picture of the massive 2000+ bushel tracked grain cart being pulled by a monster four wheel drive John Deere when they the got the beans out.

Almost as impressive as the buck 😂. I haven't been out yet but it's going to cool down after the weekend and it's time to get out.

gspren

Someone got my picture on their trail camera yesterday :o, I am hunting a new to me farm with permission of the owner and his son that farms it so no problem but when you first see the camera you hope you didn't just take a leak, etc, in front of it. I was tracking a doe I had just shot and I did find her but didn't drag out in front of that camera, who knows how many more are there.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

Congratulations! That reminds me. Give a shout out of  the law in your area on the retrieval of deer on someone's property you don't have permission on. Two examples. In Nebraska if you shot a deer and he had a visible trail of blood, or he flopped over across the fence and if the landowner says no permission that's what it is. Even if you called the game warden. In Iowa it's the other way around you have full rights to get deer regardless

Walnut Beast

Just a few pictures of many different guys starting to show up. Little guy for a selfie. Different bucks broken tines and main beams. A few more years for everyone 

beenthere

Vid of camera set up watching over a bobcat trap setting (at the end of the log on the ground). This was the two days before gun season opening on the 19th. Lots of buck activity, but deer abruptly stopped when the season opened at 6 am. Only deer activity both Sat. and Sunday on the trail cams during shooting hours was the doe at the end of this video that walked by my stand.

Some interesting buck behavior peeing down its back legs and another defending his doe from a smaller buck. Of three bobcat sets, two were tripped apparently by deer stepping on them. Trail cams didn't catch the "trippers" on either leg hold set.

https://rumble.com/v1wbcyo-pre-season-buck-action.html
south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

Great video of some buck actions. 
~Ron

beenthere

Watching several bucks develop their antlers this season. While looking at one camera overlooking a mini-food plot, caught this critter last month. 

Appears to be a badger, with the short legs, no ring-tail, and face markings like a badger. 

Badger on trail cam

Screen shot

south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Same trail camera as the badger catch, now a couple nice bucks yesterday.

Bucks early July morning

Screen shot

south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Saved some more trail cam videos showing twin fawns cavorting with a raccoon and mother doe joining in the fun.
Coon had a rude landing when a dead limb broke off. Fawns looked to be having fun.

https://rumble.com/v34ivh9-twin-fawns-with-raccoon.html

screen save:

south central Wisconsin

beenthere

A few bucks were hanging out around this stand and in front of the trail cam. Not sure why, as only some food plot seed had been sown 5 days earlier and was barely germinated. Was it the smell of the seed? turnips, radishes, kale, etc.

screen save

Video

https://rumble.com/v34phew-three-bucks-at-blind.html
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!